The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5980
Original post by amiparanoid
It's common knowledge that Freddy Adu wasn't 15. Nowhere near. (Just in the same way that Kanu wasn't the age he claimed to be; and I think that Yakubu wasn't either). Lukaku is 17 and is flourishing in a much tougher league. The two aren't comparable.

Belgium surely isn't that much tougher than MLS?

I do agree though, Lukaku looks absolutely phenomenal, really really good. However, I'm unsure whether its the right time to move for him, especially with the inflated January fees. Its not as if we could slot him into the first team, despite how good he is. We'd stunt his progress by playing him against Stoke and Blackburn
Original post by DonFahad
Soz, after clicking your profile and reading your posts, you've said literally a few words about Suarez's deal; 'assuming Suarez comes'. Nout else about him. All else you've said is just repeating what Tony Barrett said.

You were completely and totally talking out of your arse regarding Ferdinand mate, accept it, and move on.

Sorry for not following the career of someone who plays for the Mancs lad...I'm not obssessed about them so don't give a **** what their players do...my point was more about the money than anything else. Rio Ferdinand as a youngster cost £30m 10 years ago. What he says on the matter is pretty hypocritical.
Reply 5982
Sky Sports' Guillem Balague says on Twitter that the deal to take Fernando Torres to Chelsea is done pending his medical. The fee is reported to be £50million. Follow me on Twitter - @skysportsed

(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Get Real
Unbelievable, Liverpool have been robbed in daylight.

I know lol. They've lost who I think is the world's most dangerous striker, simply because he can make a goal from nothing (watch his first 50 goals for Liverpool)

That forced them to go after Carroll who's only been in the Premier League a few months and hasn't scored any spectacular goals and has from what I gather few attributes but his height and strength. £15m would be more appropriate for him atm.

If Torres goals I will be so ****ing happy, way way too good for that team. They were so lucky in getting him for that price originally, £20m. So so lucky aswell that he's a player that makes goals from nothing unlike almost every other striker, a bit like 18 year old Rooney and Messi today.
Original post by 122025278
I know lol. They've lost who I think is the world's most dangerous striker, simply because he can make a goal from nothing (watch his first 50 goals for Liverpool)

That forced them to go after Carroll who's only been in the Premier League a few months and hasn't scored any spectacular goals and has from what I gather few attributes but his height and strength. £15m would be more appropriate for him atm.

If Torres goals I will be so ****ing happy, way way too good for that team. They were so lucky in getting him for that price originally, £20m. So so lucky aswell that he's a player that makes goals from nothing unlike almost every other striker, a bit like 18 year old Rooney and Messi today.

cant you go and piss people off in another thread?
Some serious hyperbole in this thread.

Let's look at it this way. A year ago we were losing 35m a season on debt repayments.

At least we have something to show for it
I surely can't be the only one thinking that, if everything goes through, we could be looking back in a few years and thinking that Liverpool were gigantic, gigantic winners in this window.

Okay, they lost Torres, but if Suarez and Carroll reach their full potential, we could be looking at them having two players on the same level as a fully firing Torres in a few, or a couple of, years. Add to that Meireles improving, Shelvey showing potential and possibly Adam in...it's suddenly looking rather less bleak for you.

Did Bill Shankly and Billy Lidell tag team your mum then telegram pictures of her round?

Obsession is bad for you.
Original post by KingMessi
I surely can't be the only one thinking that, if everything goes through, we could be looking back in a few years and thinking that Liverpool were gigantic, gigantic winners in this window.

Okay, they lost Torres, but if Suarez and Carroll reach their full potential, we could be looking at them having two players on the same level as a fully firing Torres in a few, or a couple of, years. Add to that Meireles improving, Shelvey showing potential and possibly Adam in...it's suddenly looking rather less bleak for you.

You are not alone.
Original post by amiparanoid
Am I the only person that thinks £35m (or whatever we've just spent) would be better used to prize Lukaku away from Anderlecht?

Maybe not Lukaku, but Carroll for £35 million seems utterly extortionate right now; surely when Villa cost £27 million and Bent cost £24 million, the price is too much?

I'm not going to say it's stupid, because if Carroll reaches the level of Drogba/Torres/Rooney last season/Villa, it'll be a fantastic buy.

However, when van der Vaart cost 8 million....:dontknow:
Reply 5990
The team is going to look very irregular when it all settles down. So fresh and new :h:

How is Carroll, potentially, in a 4-3-3? As I imagine we will line up like:

---------------Reina-------------

Kelly - Carragher - Agger - Johnson

---------------Lucas-------------

------------Raul - Adam----------

----Gerrard-----------------------
---------------------------Suarez
--------------Carroll-------------

or a 4-4-2 :holmes:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Colonel.
He could be. Right now, he's a risk for £30m.

Rooney was a risk at £30m.

Carroll is already more powerful than Drogba and I expect him to be ****in' phenomenal in a year's time. He just needs the right platform.
Reply 5992
Chelsea Vs Liverpool, will surely be an interesting game.... I'd love for liverpool to beat chelsea at the bridge, from a Manc, just make torres feel really small.
No but guys seriously I've been feeling like this for a while. You know what I hate the most, at Anfield whenever Torres gets the ball and runs towards the area you hear the scouse "OOHHHHHHEEEHHHHH" and everyone's then on their feet when he's like 40 yards out still. Liverpool got so bloody lucky getting a striker that can run and take people on like that, he got so many goals from nothing.

Rooney never scores goals like that, nor Drogba, or Van Persie, they all score inside the box goals or headers mostly. Rooney's goals last year were all inside the 6 yard box, Torres had an amazing variety, made most of his goals himself, so deadly he is. Remember him vs. Man Utd, taking on Vidic, beating him and then that glorious finish past Van Der Saar? Normal players can't do that, that's why I'm so glad he's left you.
Reply 5994
Original post by Mess.
The team is going to look very irregular when it all settles down. So fresh and new :h:

How is Carroll, potentially, in a 4-3-3? As I imagine we will line up like:

---------------Reina-------------

Kelly - Carragher - Agger - Johnson

---------------Lucas-------------

------------Raul - Adam----------

----Gerrard-----------------------
---------------------------Suarez
--------------Carroll-------------

or a 4-4-2 :holmes:

----Meireles--Lucas----
Gerrard-------------Adam
--------------Suarez------
-------Carroll--------------

Possibly, with the midfield bar Lucas rotating often. Adam whipping in balls from the left, Gerrard from the right, with Suarez having the ability to become a winger on either side if the play requires it.
No but guys seriously I've been feeling like this for a while. You know what I hate the most, at Anfield whenever Torres gets the ball and runs towards the area you hear the scouse "OOHHHHHHEEEHHHHH" and everyone's then on their feet when he's like 40 yards out still. Liverpool got so bloody lucky getting a striker that can run and take people on like that, he got so many goals from nothing.

Rooney never scores goals like that, nor Drogba, or Van Persie, they all score inside the box goals or headers mostly. Rooney's goals last year were all inside the 6 yard box, Torres had an amazing variety, made most of his goals himself, so deadly he is. Remember him vs. Man Utd, taking on Vidic, beating him and then that glorious finish past Van Der Saar? Normal players can't do that, that's why I'm so glad he's left you.

So it all comes down to jealousy. That makes sense.
Reply 5996
Original post by Swindan

Original post by Swindan
----Meireles--Lucas----
Gerrard-------------Adam
--------------Suarez------
-------Carroll--------------

Possibly, with the midfield bar Lucas rotating often. Adam whipping in balls from the left, Gerrard from the right, with Suarez having the ability to become a winger on either side if the play requires it.

I doubt Adam would be pushed wide left as he seriously lacks pace. his game will be based on sitting deep with a ball winner next to/behind him and a box-to-box (Raul or Gerrard) next to him.

I would like to see both Suarez and Gerrard in free roles behind Carroll though :sexface: Gerrard crossing for Carroll :coma:
Even with Torres leaving, and assuming we get Adam, we have come out of this transfer window with a far stronger team and squad than when we entered it. Add to that the fact that Carroll is 22, Adam 25 and Suarez is 24 and we have a fantastic platform right there to build on for the future.
Reply 5998
Original post by DannyBoy123

Original post by DannyBoy123
Even with Torres leaving, and assuming we get Adam, we have come out of this transfer window with a far stronger team and squad than when we entered it. Add to that the fact that Carroll is 22, Adam 25 and Suarez is 24 and we have a fantastic platform right there to build on for the future.

Agreed. I think people need to stop being so melodramatic and take stock of the situation.
Reply 5999
I'm still not massively keen on us getting Adam - he wouldn't get in the starting 11, would he?

I don't think we'll get him, anyway. And we need full backs more than more CMs!

Latest