The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Bitch, are you crazy?
Humanities students have an over-inflated feeling of self-worth and can get away with doing far less work at an undergraduate level than a hard sciences student.
Jessaay!
Select few equations for things that they just use to bulk out the syllabus. Ever looked in a maths formula booklet and seen, for example, their equations for integration and differentiation which wouldn't actually get you anywhere in an exam?

Even the trapezium rule can't just be applied without quite a lot of backfground knowledge and indeed practice.

Same for chemistry formulas to be honest.

Anyway, even I know for humanities there's a "formula" for writing the essay and often you see similar questons as before and so you can write exactly how the examiner would want you to.

What you're basically saying here is that A-levels are dumbed down versions of the complexities of a subject in real life, and whilst you have to have a "bit of background knowledge" and therefore studied the subject, they're not all that complex. Well, let's just say humanities A-levels are dumbed down subjects too which require a "bit of" background knowledge to cover the material you require for the exam. In that respect, you cannot deny that humanities and sciences are on par with the dumbed down level of their material. However, for maths you cannot just walk into an exam knowing how to apply the trapezium rule and ace it, even some of the questions you wouldn't be able to answer without oing through a method leading to the trapezium rule. They hardly say "use the trapezium rule to answer this question".

Plus, there may be only a little background knowledge, but this you have to know for every equation for whatever subject, be it maths, physiccs, or chemistry, it all adds up to become a bit more than a "little background knowledge".

This.
Reply 103
no its not humanities subjects are easy as long as you can write a good essay and have a good structure. science is just fact remembering but theyre not easy facts to remember
U shud do a science/maths subject at cambridge and a humanity one at oxford and compare!
I always find science easier :smile:
The exams seem more friendly - if you don't know the answer to something, you lose only a few marks. Also it's just facts you're marked on - in humanities they sometimes mark you on technique and spelling etc.
But then, everyone has their strengths and weaknesses.
Nah sciences are harder than humanities, I did all sciences last year did meh, did humanities this year found them much easier -history business and moddies- because most of it is common sense, for example in business- 4 ways in which corporate culture is maintained: Hmmm basically everything McDonalds has. 4 marks. Sorted :p:

I shall update this when I receive my results however haha
Reply 107
[

teenie_mcgee
However, there are still sets of rules that need to be respected, I'm using languages as an example, you can't just decide how to form a sentence structure as you feel or change grammar patterns to fit your mood.

Yeah but in real life if you were to miss out a couple apostrophes or or not use a proper sentence (whatever that means) or not capitalise letters that should be capitalised or spell one or 2 words slightly wrong when writing something for someone else to see it won't make any difference whatsoever unless the grammar and spelling was REALLY bad. On the other hand if you were building something in real life and decided to say 2+2=5 or Sodium doesn't react with water in the air or a combustion engine will work without an energy input then what ever you are building relevant to these rules WILL NOT work end of.

My point is that Humanities rules are completely made up conventions and change rapidly over time anyway, whereas the fundamental science and maths rules are set in stone and are completely essential to the functioning of certain things.

And if you are gonna say that " bad grammar on your cv won't get you a job" that is only because your potential employers are using the conventions and making a judgement based on it.
Ultimate1
Ya but what if another question came up similar to the exam that you got an 'E' on? You surely would have flopped that as well then? Exactly. And one more point: Humanities are much more centred in reality, whereas sciences really are about shizzle we won't ever need.

Did no-one else notice this last statement? "sciences are really about shizzle we won't ever need" is probably the most idiotic thing i have ever heard.
I think i will have to agree with the thread starter. I have done biology chem geo and politics and i found writing eassys in politics the hardest out of the 4. Still got straight A though. However i would say that i think maths and physics are harder.
Whatever floats your boat son
Reply 111
plrodham1
Did no-one else notice this last statement? "sciences are really about shizzle we won't ever need" is probably the most idiotic thing i have ever heard.

Who needs abstract thinking?! I won't ever need that, for sure.
obviously not because I find humanities- languages & history- a piece of piss, whereas I am ******** at maths & sciences.

It's annoying because humanities are ******* useless and favoured by romantics
Reply 113
I think everyone knows that at degree level the workload of the sciences kills everything and those pesky history/English students have it easy but I think its the other way around for A-levels.
Ultimate1
OK basically in my opinion, actually not in my opinion, it is a fact that it is by far easier to get an 'A' in a science subject than an 'A' in a humanity subject. Firstly science subjects is just cramming in facts and figures and just using that in the exam, especially in something like maths, whereas in humanities there is that element but just cramming in your text will not be enough whereas for a science subject it will be. Secondly Humanity subjects are subjective, there usually is no real way to distinguish candidates as something they write could be wrong in someones eyes and right in someone elses eyes, whereas sciences its just one right answer.

Tell me about it, bro. You tell the examiner that the Long March started in 1932 instead of 1934, he just doesn't give a ****. Or you can convince the examiner that the Kobe earthquake was due to a giant stamping his feet seven miles away, and they'll believe you.

/sarcasm.
Reply 115
yellowmeringue
Tell me about it, bro. You tell the examiner that the Long March started in 1932 instead of 1934, he just doesn't give a ****. Or you can convince the examiner that the Kobe earthquake was due to a giant stamping his feet seven miles away, and they'll believe you.

/sarcasm.

I don't know whether or not your on my side or not..... :eek3:
Ultimate1
I don't know whether or not your on my side or not..... :eek3:

I know. I'm ambiguous like that, you see :biggrin:
Ultimate1
OK basically in my opinion, actually not in my opinion, it is a fact that it is by far easier to get an 'A' in a science subject than an 'A' in a humanity subject. Firstly science subjects is just cramming in facts and figures and just using that in the exam, especially in something like maths, whereas in humanities there is that element but just cramming in your text will not be enough whereas for a science subject it will be. Secondly Humanity subjects are subjective, there usually is no real way to distinguish candidates as something they write could be wrong in someones eyes and right in someone elses eyes, whereas sciences its just one right answer.

I would say sciences are easier for the opposite reason personally, imo.
With maths for example you just need to learn a few basic techniques, and the rest you can work out in the exam. The challenge here is knowing what to do with what you are given, not in trying to remember lots of stuff.

For a humanity you actually have to learn a lot, you can't work out the date of a battle, or the name of a king. If you have forgotten who was king during revolution x, there is nothing you can do, you can't really work it out or calculate it some how.

Secondly, it doesn't actually matter which is easier tbh, as we have moderation. An average maths student will get the same grade as an average history student.
Reply 118
sc0307
let me correct myself, 'arrogant pig'

No i thought you were ignorant not arrogant.
Reply 119
Ultimate1
Ya but what if another question came up similar to the exam that you got an 'E' on? You surely would have flopped that as well then? Exactly. And one more point: Humanities are much more centred in reality, whereas sciences really are about shizzle we won't ever need.

:facepalm: every little bit of technology you take for granted is only possible because of the shizzle we will never need. you chat out of your ********.

Latest