The Student Room Group

Anyone know how hard it is to complete a BTEC in one year?

So for context, I'm doing Biology, Psychology, and Chemistry. My grades in Bio and Psych are pretty good and I'm predicted high enough to be able to push them up to As, but my chemistry grade is no good at all.

My teacher is giving me the option to switch to BTEC applied science, which I've been interested in for a while but I want to know how hard it is to complete in one year and if it's doable? As I'm doing it only equivelent to one A-Level.

Please help me, thank you!
Reply 1
Hi
So its a BTEC Applied Science Certificate course, it sounds like what they are offering you could prove to be a shrewd move.

The advantage is that as long as you can apply yourself and submit regular assignment work, ultimately there will less pressure on you for final exams. Based on your Biology and Physics grades you are more than capable BUT you need to aim for the Distinction* grade.

This means when the unit assignment is set you deliver a solid assignment covering the aspects required for the Distinction grade, don't cut corners and just do the basics required for a pass or merit grade

If you can pullout a D* alongside A grade Biology and Psychology you will be well set for the vast majority of University courses. Good luck to you.
Reply 2
Original post by LsDad
Hi
So its a BTEC Applied Science Certificate course, it sounds like what they are offering you could prove to be a shrewd move.

The advantage is that as long as you can apply yourself and submit regular assignment work, ultimately there will less pressure on you for final exams. Based on your Biology and Physics grades you are more than capable BUT you need to aim for the Distinction* grade.

This means when the unit assignment is set you deliver a solid assignment covering the aspects required for the Distinction grade, don't cut corners and just do the basics required for a pass or merit grade

If you can pullout a D* alongside A grade Biology and Psychology you will be well set for the vast majority of University courses. Good luck to you.

What does shrewd move mean? Sorry.

I'm absolutely Aiming for a D* (even a D grade is good for me as I know some which are fine with it providing I have strong A-Level grades) for Applied Science as that's what the psychology courses require.

I'm also very confident I will get good grades in biology and psychology by the end of the year, I've already shown a ton of improvement and done a load of revision too. I'm defo sticking with those.

How much of the workload do you think I need to catch up on? And how hard would it be to do the content this late in the year (I've already done some reading ahead with a friend's textbook)
Original post by LoafOfBread05
So for context, I'm doing Biology, Psychology, and Chemistry. My grades in Bio and Psych are pretty good and I'm predicted high enough to be able to push them up to As, but my chemistry grade is no good at all.

My teacher is giving me the option to switch to BTEC applied science, which I've been interested in for a while but I want to know how hard it is to complete in one year and if it's doable? As I'm doing it only equivelent to one A-Level.

Please help me, thank you!

Hi @LoafOfBread05

I actually have experience in nearly this exact situation! So hopefully I am able to give some insight :smile:

I was doing a Biology A-level until my second year of college when a few people in my class were switching to BTEC and I was SO unsure whether to or not because I was actually doing okay in my A-level Biology, I just found it really really time consuming and I was putting in so much effort just to do okay in tests. In the end I did swap so I completed the Human Biology BTEC in one-year and it was so stress free! A lot easier and more manageable than a final year A-level in Biology (and I would imagine Chemistry). I would defiantly recommend you take this opportunity as the teacher is giving you the option, so it is clearly doable and I am sure that the teachers will support you through it. I found as well that a lot of the content was what I had already learnt form my A-levels anyway, it was just that the exams were a lot easier and there was more coursework, so it felt more manageable for me - the exam questions actually make sense! It is of course up to you but I hope this offers you some reassurance that if you feel that doing a BTEC is what would be right for you it is absolutely achievable!

Good luck with this I am sure you will make the decision that is right for you :smile:

Katie - Second year Educational Psychology student
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by EdgeHillStudents
Hi @LoafOfBread05

I actually have experience in nearly this exact situation! So hopefully I am able to give some insight :smile:

I was doing a Biology A-level until my second year of college when a few people in my class were switching to BTEC and I was SO unsure whether to or not because I was actually doing okay in my A-level Biology, I just found it really really time consuming and I was putting in so much effort just to do okay in tests. In the end I did swap so I completed the Human Biology BTEC in one-year and it was so stress free! A lot easier and more manageable than a final year A-level in Biology (and I would imagine Chemistry). I would defiantly recommend you take this opportunity as the teacher is giving you the option, so it is clearly doable and I am sure that the teachers will support you through it. I found as well that a lot of the content was what I had already learnt form my A-levels anyway, it was just that the exams were a lot easier and there was more coursework, so it felt more manageable for me - the exam questions actually make sense! It is of course up to you but I hope this offers you some reassurance that if you feel that doing a BTEC is what would be right for you it is absolutely achievable!

Good luck with this I am sure you will make the decision that is right for you :smile:

Katie - Second year Educational Psychology student

Oh thank you so much! This has really helped and motivated me. I plan on doing the BTEC applied science (it still has chemistry but in much more managable amounts!).

Mind if I ask what grades did you get?
Reply 5
Original post by LoafOfBread05
What does shrewd move mean? Sorry.

Shrewd Move = Astute, Quick Practical Clever Move

I'm trying to say it's a smart move from the college that will deliver advantage to you based on your specific circumstances. Based on what you have said i believe you could do really well taking this option.

Coupled with your two A level choices it will deliver the UCAS points you need for a significant range of Universities. Good luck, you will smash it.
Original post by LsDad
Shrewd Move = Astute, Quick Practical Clever Move

I'm trying to say it's a smart move from the college that will deliver advantage to you based on your specific circumstances. Based on what you have said i believe you could do really well taking this option.

Coupled with your two A level choices it will deliver the UCAS points you need for a significant range of Universities. Good luck, you will smash it.

Thank you so much, I appreciate this!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending