The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Oh and if anyone did five subjects, how did you find it?
Edexcel for them all except RS which was OCR and I didn't do Bio. I recommend you don't do OCR as the exams are timetabled one after the other.

I did 6 and it was fine.
Reply 3
paddy__power
Edexcel for them all except RS which was OCR and I didn't do Bio. I recommend you don't do OCR as the exams are timetabled one after the other.

I did 6 and it was fine.

I don't have much choice really, at the sixth form I am starting at all the exams are OCR pretty much:frown:
Joell3
I don't have much choice really, at the sixth form I am starting at all the exams are OCR pretty much:frown:

It's a relatively easy board, but it's easy to burn out. I had two subjects on OCR and both times I really couldn't be bothered with the second exam so only did it for half the time and then stopped.
Reply 5
Psychology ~ AQA (A) --- Don't think from the beginning that you can toss around thinking it's a doss. A lot of people in my year did that, at AS most came out with C-U. Make sure you do A LOT of background reading, as nothing in the text books are 'the answers' and you'll notice most text books, even for the same board, use completely different studies for the theories.
Biology ~ OCR --- AS is alright, you'll notice unit 2 is actually easier than unit 1, which is odd. Start working from the beginning, don't worry too much about notes, just make sure you absorb everything in the text books. Even picture captions underneath photos in the book, I had a question in my Unit 5 A2 exam where three marks were taken from one single caption. OCR are horrible with questions for Biology, so many 'suggest' questions and ones where you're left to decipher what they actually want from you. And they schedule exams one after the other, which is annoying. Last year with OCR I had the retake immediately before the actually exam for that time, for Chemistry and Biology, it was awful.

I don't know about the other subjects.

I took 6. They were absolutely fine to all do, I just didn't really know I had to revise :ninja:
Reply 6
What exam board/s were you on?Biology and History OCR
How demanding was/were the subject/s?Umm they weren't too bad, history maybe a bit more but I did get more homework for biology.
How enjoyable was/were the subject/s?History I found boring because the topics we studied didn't really interest me...I prefer social history to more event based like we studied. In biology I really enjoyed the conservation and biodiversity section and hated the biochemistry bit (I found it really hard) but for most people it was the other way around.
Any book recommendations or advice?I can't really say any unless you know what topics you are going to be doing in history. I just used the text book and the revision guide for the textbook for biology. Advice-Stick at them both...there are bits in there that you will enjoy and bits which you wont.

Good luck!
Reply 7
toxik_apple
Psychology ~ AQA (A) --- Don't think from the beginning that you can toss around thinking it's a doss. A lot of people in my year did that, at AS most came out with C-U. Make sure you do A LOT of background reading, as nothing in the text books are 'the answers' and you'll notice most text books, even for the same board, use completely different studies for the theories.
Biology ~ OCR --- AS is alright, you'll notice unit 2 is actually easier than unit 1, which is odd. Start working from the beginning, don't worry too much about notes, just make sure you absorb everything in the text books. Even picture captions underneath photos in the book, I had a question in my Unit 5 A2 exam where three marks were taken from one single caption. OCR are horrible with questions for Biology, so many 'suggest' questions and ones where you're left to decipher what they actually want from you. And they schedule exams one after the other, which is annoying. Last year with OCR I had the retake immediately before the actually exam for that time, for Chemistry and Biology, it was awful.

I don't know about the other subjects.

I took 6. They were absolutely fine to all do, I just didn't really know I had to revise :ninja:

Thank you for your advice, I have already started on some summer reading to Psychology and am finding it facinating! Do you have any text book recommendations for OCR Biology?
Reply 8
Tabers
What exam board/s were you on?Biology and History OCR
How demanding was/were the subject/s?Umm they weren't too bad, history maybe a bit more but I did get more homework for biology.
How enjoyable was/were the subject/s?History I found boring because the topics we studied didn't really interest me...I prefer social history to more event based like we studied. In biology I really enjoyed the conservation and biodiversity section and hated the biochemistry bit (I found it really hard) but for most people it was the other way around.
Any book recommendations or advice?I can't really say any unless you know what topics you are going to be doing in history. I just used the text book and the revision guide for the textbook for biology. Advice-Stick at them both...there are bits in there that you will enjoy and bits which you wont.

Good luck!

Thank you for your advice I am studying the Tudor Crisis 1536-1569 and Russia 1895-1941 :smile:
Reply 9
That's EXACTLY what I want to take (minus psychology) :biggrin: :hugs:
Reply 10
BookWormShanti
That's EXACTLY what I want to take (minus psychology) :biggrin: :hugs:

Wow :p: what do you want to do after Alevels?
Reply 11
Joell3
Wow :p: what do you want to do after Alevels?

English Lit :woo: And then - who knows?! What about you?

*actually, I want to do Philosophy & Ethics to be precise not RS, but my lazy school just calls it RS all the time :smile:
Reply 12
BookWormShanti
English Lit :woo: And then - who knows?! What about you?

*actually, I want to do Philosophy & Ethics to be precise not RS, but my lazy school just calls it RS all the time :smile:

Religious studies and Philosophy and Ethics are the same thing on OCR :smile: and I'm thinking of either doing a degree in Law/English/Psychology/Theology or Education! Then going into Law/Journalism/Marketing/PR or teaching... so rather varied options there!
Joell3
Thank you for your advice, I have already started on some summer reading to Psychology and am finding it facinating! Do you have any text book recommendations for OCR Biology?

The obvious OCR text book:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Biology-Student-Book-Exam-CD-ROM/dp/0435691805/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1279911943&sr=1-1

The OCR revision guide:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/OCR-Revise-AS-Biology-New/dp/0435583700/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1279911943&sr=1-3

The CGP revision guide (life saver):
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Level-Biology-OCR-Revision-Guide/dp/1847621228/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1279911943&sr=1-4

You may also wish to get the non-specification revision guide, some questions in my exams actually contained stuff not on OCR but Edexcel :rolleyes: luckily I had that.

This is also brilliant but expensive (AS, A2, degree):
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Introduction-Advanced-Biology-CJ-Clegg/dp/0719576717/ref=sr_1_8?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1279912117&sr=1-8

And a non-text book for A2. It'll give you everything you need to know about neurones (neuromuscular junctions and the normal ones):
It's by Eric Kandel and is called "In search of Memory":
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Search-Memory-Emergence-Science-Mind/dp/0393329372/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1279912230&sr=1-1

This is another book I used for both AS and A2, but for the genetics and biodiversity/evolution stuff:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Genetics-Evolution-Illustrated-Advanced-Biology/dp/0719575524/ref=sr_1_10?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1279913074&sr=1-10

These are all the books I used for AS. Hope that's helpful :o:

EDIT: Psychology is fascinating until you have to actually remember all the names of the researchers and details of each study, and then how to evaluate results/methodology. The theories are pretty simple to remember. You'll probably forget this advice, but make sure you remember each intrinsic detail they teach you about research methods in AS, you'll need them throughout year 13, and make up more than 20% of marks in A2! If you want a list of all the text books and additional reading I had I can give you it, but it may take me a while to remember them all :smile:
Reply 14
I did Edexcel history - wasn't all that keen on the topics we did (mussolini & Hitler) as ended up being fairly similar

I got an A at AS nd am waiting on the A2 result. A2 was much harder than the AS course though - more is expected from you in the exam
Reply 15
toxik_apple
The obvious OCR text book:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Biology-Student-Book-Exam-CD-ROM/dp/0435691805/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1279911943&sr=1-1

The OCR revision guide:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/OCR-Revise-AS-Biology-New/dp/0435583700/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1279911943&sr=1-3

The CGP revision guide (life saver):
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Level-Biology-OCR-Revision-Guide/dp/1847621228/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1279911943&sr=1-4

You may also wish to get the non-specification revision guide, some questions in my exams actually contained stuff not on OCR but Edexcel :rolleyes: luckily I had that.

This is also brilliant but expensive (AS, A2, degree):
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Introduction-Advanced-Biology-CJ-Clegg/dp/0719576717/ref=sr_1_8?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1279912117&sr=1-8

And a non-text book for A2. It'll give you everything you need to know about neurones (neuromuscular junctions and the normal ones):
It's by Eric Kandel and is called "In search of Memory":
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Search-Memory-Emergence-Science-Mind/dp/0393329372/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1279912230&sr=1-1

This is another book I used for both AS and A2, but for the genetics and biodiversity/evolution stuff:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Genetics-Evolution-Illustrated-Advanced-Biology/dp/0719575524/ref=sr_1_10?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1279913074&sr=1-10

These are all the books I used for AS. Hope that's helpful :o:

EDIT: Psychology is fascinating until you have to actually remember all the names of the researchers and details of each study, and then how to evaluate results/methodology. The theories are pretty simple to remember. You'll probably forget this advice, but make sure you remember each intrinsic detail they teach you about research methods in AS, you'll need them throughout year 13, and make up more than 20% of marks in A2! If you want a list of all the text books and additional reading I had I can give you it, but it may take me a while to remember them all :smile:

:woo: WOW thank you so much for typing all that up for me, I will definately put it to good use and order the books you have recommended when I come back off of Holiday :smile:

Thanks for the Psychology advice! I am on the OCR spec for that too, any book recommendations are hugely helpful to me, I have already purchased/read: The Curious Incident of the Dog in Nightime, The Wave, Opening Skinners Box, Welcome to your Brain and Our Inner Ape. Any further reading/textbook recommendations would be awesome :yep:
I have just done OCR psychology for AS and A2, which part of it are you doing e.g health? education? because there are around 70 studies, background information will help I guess but when it comes to writing essays it is just going to be on the studies and evaluative methods.. don't make too much work for yourself it is hard enough having to learn the studies/theories etc.
Actually the 70 studies bit is for A2, for AS you have to learn 15 studies in alot of detail, again the background info is not really needed, IMO. The teachers gave us background info like curious incident of the dog etc.. but it isn't neccessarily needed.
Reply 18
Amywoody2009
I have just done OCR psychology for AS and A2, which part of it are you doing e.g health? education? because there are around 70 studies, background information will help I guess but when it comes to writing essays it is just going to be on the studies and evaluative methods.. don't make too much work for yourself it is hard enough having to learn the studies/theories etc.

Ok thank you, I'm just looking at doing some summer reading before my courses to be ahead of the game really :yep: We are doing the Cognative, Developmental, Physiological, Social and Individual Differences approaches if that's what you mean? :smile:
yeah, its just for A2 different centres do different things like education or health etc. but for AS you do the 15 studies in alot more depth, your teachers may give you background info throughout like ours did, makes a bit more interesting too.

Latest