The Student Room Group

Sherlock

Scroll to see replies

After a disappointing and dull second episode, glad to see it finished with a bang. At least Sherlock's 'puzzles' this week couldn't be solved by the audience before him, like they could in the first week (I mean come on, the taxi driver bit was so obvious as soon as Sherlock said his little riddle about who they were looking for).
Dission
It´s clear in Study in Pink that he is gay, there were a few references about it. The housekeeper assuming that they only needed one bed when Watson moved in, the restaurant owner implying Watson was his date,

i.e. other people assume he's gay

Dission
Sherlock saying "not really my area...".

i.e. he implies he's not interested in dating women.

I have nothing against the hypothesis that he's gay, I'm just being pedantic: none of these prove that he's gay, as opposed to asexual.
Reply 182
jimbo139
i.e. other people assume he's gay

People that have been around him a lot and, therefore that know him quite well, it's not an assumption or a guess. No one assumes that someone is gay to that level if they were not sure

i.e. he implies he's not interested in dating women.

I have nothing against the hypothesis that he's gay, I'm just being pedantic: none of these prove that he's gay, as opposed to asexual.

Nothing proves it, it's a fictional character, unless they show explicit images of him performing gay sex in an episode, we won't know. But same in the book, there are references that hint that he is gay. We don't know for sure because he's a fictional character, and he is what the writers want him to be by giving us these hints, and I think the intention of the writers is quite clear.

BTW, am I the only one that find similarities between the character of House and Sherlock. I know Sherlock is the real deal because House comes after him, but they both like the puzzle, they don't care about their victims/patients, they both are addicts to some kind of drug, they both have an only friend and house-mate (Watson/Wilson), they both are witty and intelligent... etc. House is not gay, though.
EVERY "Consulting Detective" you see on TV nowadays tends to be cut from similar cloth to Sherlock. The Mentalist, Lie to Me, House - the main protagonists in these shows all have similar attributes to Sherlock Holmes.

And re: him being gay - the "other people assume he's gay" I thought was because they had seen him on dates with other men (at least the restaurant owner). The main thing about this series is that Watson and Sherlock aren't gay TOGETHER.
Imagine going out with Sherlock (whether male or female)....
I imagine many dates would be interrupted by things occurring to him and running off in the middle of them. You'd have to put up with him being bored and shooting the walls to pieces. You'd have to be the one to make sure the groceries were bought and that he ate something. You would never quite get what he was going on about. You would never be able to find anything in the flat, ever. You'd have a boyfriend who has his own arch enemy. He'd probably never remember your birthday/anniversaries/days of the week/anything that he didn't deem 'important'.

Very similar to what John goes through in the series. Two single men living together like that, I guess, do sort of have a couples relationship (without the sexual side of it) in the sense that they only have each other, and depend on each other for certain things; John depends on Sherlock for the excitement and thrill he needs in civilian live, Sherlock depends on John for another mind to exercise and someone to buy the groceries occasionally.

If I had half as much interest in my dissertation as I did about TV shows I like, I'd be getting a first easily.....
Formerly LieDown
Imagine going out with Sherlock (whether male or female)....
I imagine many dates would be interrupted by things occurring to him and running off in the middle of them. You'd have to put up with him being bored and shooting the walls to pieces. You'd have to be the one to make sure the groceries were bought and that he ate something. You would never quite get what he was going on about. You would never be able to find anything in the flat, ever. You'd have a boyfriend who has his own arch enemy. He'd probably never remember your birthday/anniversaries/days of the week/anything that he didn't deem 'important'.

That I could easily live with. Highlighted the best bits.

NOW WHERE IS MA ******* SHERLOCK! :mad:
spacepirate-James
That I could easily live with. Highlighted the best bits.

NOW WHERE IS MA ******* SHERLOCK! :mad:

Nope, I certainly wouldn't complain about most of that stuff. As long as he let me wear his coat occasionally I'd be happy :p:
Does anyone know what smart phone Sherlock was using in the series? I'm not great on smart phones...
Formerly LieDown
If I had half as much interest in my dissertation as I did about TV shows I like, I'd be getting a first easily.....

I'm not sure if I have to write a dissertation for my course (I think they're trying to remove that aspect because it doesn't make sense on such a practical course) but if I did I would get to write about TV shows I like :awesome:
TheNihilist
Does anyone know what smart phone Sherlock was using in the series? I'm not great on smart phones...

iPhone was the one he used in the last episode.
Ape Gone Insane
iPhone was the one he used in the last episode.
Doe you know the one he usually carries with him?
Reply 191
Based on the advert that the BBC first put out for it, I was pretty sure I was going to hate it. Having watched all three episodes however, I can safely say that that was probably the best thing to come out of the BBC all year! It felt extremely well written, and Cumberbatch and Freeman work great together. Some of their 'three's a crowd' scenes in the second episode were comedy gold.

The only downsides were some of the casting choices, and the peculiar way they communicated 'texting' and 'browsing' visually on screen. For the former, the actress playing the police woman comes to mind - the one that was in Waterloo Road. To be blunt, she just really didn't fit the role. For the latter, alarm bells started going off for me when the word 'Wrong' started bouncing around the screen PowerPoint-style in the first episode. I suppose it wasn't so bad later on when they'd toned it down, but still, it never really seemed to put across any information that we couldn't have just guessed for ourselves.

On the whole though, hugely enjoyable, hope they do some more in the future.
I disagree. I think the on-screen display of all the text messages, web browsing and what not was a very nice stylistic element which added to the programme :smile:
LastLordofTime
I'm not sure if I have to write a dissertation for my course (I think they're trying to remove that aspect because it doesn't make sense on such a practical course) but if I did I would get to write about TV shows I like :awesome:

:eek: I want to do your course.

Although I'm not sure not doing a course in a related topic would stop me writing a thesis about aspects of TV shows I watch :p: Dear me, what a sad life I lead....

Plus I agree with the on-screen text thing, it worked really well. I hate it when someone receives a text and email and they read it out to themselves; nobody does that in real life. Using the text on screen was a good way of getting it across. Also shows Sherlock's love of using text and technology
Second series confirmed!! This has made my day!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/aug/10/sherlock-second-series-bbc
whisperings
Second series confirmed!! This has made my day!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/aug/10/sherlock-second-series-bbc

:woo: :biggrin: Finally, the BBC make the right move
LastLordofTime
I disagree. I think the on-screen display of all the text messages, web browsing and what not was a very nice stylistic element which added to the programme :smile:

Ditto this. I think it fitted in well with the whole 'modern day' version of what Sherlock is supposed to be. Added to which, that bit at the beginning of the first episode was pretty funny :biggrin:
Dission
What he is though, is anorexic. In the three episodes he hasn´t had a bite, Watson eating in front of him three times, he doesn´t have food in his house. How does he survive? O_o

I liked the outcome of this last episode, as expected the second one was going to be the weakest, was kind of pointless.

Clearly he was in the middle of microwaving eyeballs as a snack that one time before a case interrupted him. :P Maybe tea and nicotene are more nutritious than I thought!

I thought the second one got lost a bit in the brilliance of the other two. Not sure why they couldn't maintain the quality all the way through since they obviously capable of doing so.

Here's hoping the next series will consist of more episodes!
SpacemonkeySam
Clearly he was in the middle of microwaving eyeballs as a snack that one time before a case interrupted him. :P Maybe tea and nicotene are more nutritious than I thought!

I thought the second one got lost a bit in the brilliance of the other two. Not sure why they couldn't maintain the quality all the way through since they obviously capable of doing so.

Here's hoping the next series will consist of more episodes!

The reason is because the writer of episode two was neither The Moff or Gatiss, and it had a different director to the other two episodes :smile:
TheNihilist
Doe you know the one he usually carries with him?

I *think* its a Blackberry Bold 9700, or at least a Blackberry. I recognised the little timer thing when he took a photo :p:

Quick Reply

Latest