The Student Room Group
Reply 1
sure you might get banned eventually though
Reply 2
Yeah, it's a bit of a risk but so many people do it.
Reply 3
how likely am I to get banned?

and if I get banned do I just get banned off the xbox live network, or will my xbox stop working? is there anything I can do to stop myself being banned?
Reply 4
Your xbox console will just get banned off the Xbox live network, I don't think your gamertag gets touched though I'm not sure, but you can only play games offline so your console will still be working.
Reply 5
They could either ban the GT from going on Live or ban the console from going on Live. There's not much you can do about it though as far as I'm aware.
Me and 2 of my mates all got our consoles banned.

We had early models, the warranty was out of date and they ROD'd, so we had them fixed privately and 'flashed' and they all got banned, mine lasted just over a month, my mates lasted 3 hours, that was like 8 months ago and they've stepped it up now.

I think to get your gamertag banned you'd have to be hacking like on COD on something, but I still wouldn't risk it.
Reply 7
I think you should grow some balls. Additionally, not being a couch-hobo wouldn't go amiss.
Reply 8
samir12
Your xbox console will just get banned off the Xbox live network, I don't think your gamertag gets touched though I'm not sure, but you can only play games offline so your console will still be working.

does that work on the ps3 too, because i was thinking of chipping it
Yeah you can get just about anything chipped these days! I had my xbox chipped and i got banned in the ban wave last year... I and about 1 milllion other people loool
Reply 10
pesking2009
does that work on the ps3 too, because i was thinking of chipping it

as far as I know there aren't any PS3 mod chips.

Could be wrong though.
Did you actually get it chipped or is it flashed?

In reply to your original question;
Yes you can play on live with a modded console, however like some have commented it is possible that you will get banned from LIVE. Furthermore, the ban will be a console ban and has yet to result in a gamertag ban - although they could if they wanted to.

-A
Reply 12
Flashing the latest firmware is supposedly safe at the moment but every year there is a massive banwave; I bet this year it will be when kinect is released as they'll probably put out a new dashboard update too.

Your xbox itself gets banned from live, not your gamertag. Your HDD also gets crippled so you can't install games to it and in some cases your saves from a crippled HDD will become corrupt if you try and transfer them to a new xbox.

Basically I wouldn't bother, you'll get banned eventually.
Reply 13
You'll get banned definitely - we did

Latest