The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Square
all i have to do is think about all my friends who are stoners, and i realise, cannabis is not a nice drug. It's clearly more addictive than alcohol - or especially for young people (given I know a lot of stoners but no alcoholics).

Obviously your own incredibly limited personal experience of drugs overrules hundreds of scientific studies which point in the other direction. Obviously.
Cannabis has never killed anyone, its wonderful stuff.
Reply 22
I'm pretty sure loads of people have died because of drugdealing and selling cannabis. So, in essence, cannabis has killed people.
Square
all i have to do is think about all my friends who are stoners, and i realise, cannabis is not a nice drug. It's clearly more addictive than alcohol - or especially for young people (given I know a lot of stoners but no alcoholics).

Its not more addictive than alcohol at all, thats just rubbish. Have you ever considered that these stoners just like smoking? Just like the people who you know who drink like drinking?

Its funny how you think that people can drink alcohol without being addicted, but people who smoke cannabis must be addicted.
d0mz
I'm pretty sure loads of people have died because of drugdealing and selling cannabis. So, in essence, cannabis has killed people.

Well, drug prohibition has killed people, not the plant.
It's 100 times safer than Alcohol.
Reply 26
d0mz

No. In essence, prohibition has killed people.
HDS
Directly? No. Can't OD on it. Indirectly...yes absolutely. Think accidents, lung cancer, mental illnesses which result in suicide or the wide array of other things.

There has been conflicting studys on whether cannabis did in fact cause lung cancer, but there methodology was questionable. More recently a more reliable study found no link to cannabis only smokers and lung cancer. Obviously a fair amount of people smoke tobacco with cannabis so its hard to establish whether cannabis alone causes lung cancer.

Also there is no doubting that there is a link between psychosis and cannabis, but that doesn't mean cannabis causes mental illness. It is generally accepted that cannabis is "most likely a component factor when combined with a variety of other potential issues such as genetic pre-disposition or difficult childhood"

http://www.erowid.org/plants/cannabis/cannabis_health3.shtml
Square

you are clearly an idiot. http://www.mapinc.org/images/LancetTable3.gif
Reply 29
kills my free time nicely
Reply 30
miike1234
I doubt the occasional spliff will do you any harm but regular and prolonged use can definitely **** you up

Smoking marijuana just once if you are a male under the age of 25 will increase your chances of a mental condition such as schizophrenia by 3x.
joey!
Smoking marijuana just once if you are a male under the age of 25 will increase your chances of a mental condition such as schizophrenia by 3x.

2.6x , and to put that in proportion, u are 20x more likely to get lung cancer if u smoke cigarettes than if u dont.
Only different thing I can think of to add to the thread is it can cause laziness and overeating of unhealthy foods
joey!

Yes but you're very unlikely to get schizophrenia, I don't know the actual odds but lets say for simplicities sake you have a 1 in 90,000 chance of developing without any drug use, then you smoke a spliff and you then have a 1 in 30,000 chance. It's more likely now, but still very unlikely.
joey!

Lol i remember when that was on the front page of the daily mail. It's absolute utter tosh. I'm not going to bother trying to explain why cause you won't listen anyway.
Reply 36
Spetznaaz
Lol i remember when that was on the front page of the daily mail. It's absolute utter tosh. I'm not going to bother trying to explain why cause you won't listen anyway.

No, I never read it in the daily mail. One of my relatives is a neurologist and has done a decade's worth of research on the correlation between cannabis and schizophrenia.
Reply 37
joey!

So like from 0.01% to 0.03%*

*I just made those numbers up.
Reply 38
beecher
So like from 0.01% to 0.03%*

*I just made those numbers up.

Yes, the numbers remain low for the average person, but if you have an underlying mental condition, it makes it far more likely it will develop.
joey!
No, I never read it in the daily mail. One of my relatives is a neurologist and has done a decade's worth of research on the correlation between cannabis and schizophrenia.

It's still utter ********.

Regular use of cannabis in the 15 and under age group can increase the chance of schizophrenia by 100% - going from 1% to 2%.

Regular use of cannabis from 16 has be shown to have very little affect on the human mind's development.

Source: BBC Horizon: Cannabis: The Evil Weed?

Latest

Trending

Trending