The Student Room Group

Doubts are setting in

Hi,

Im a mature student (27) and have completed an access course and have been accepted by Chester to do a Law and Politics degree. Trouble is as September is getting closer the doubts are arriving. I have to make matters worse just been offered a reasonable paying job, Im now not sure what to do?!

I just need some to know if Uni Vs Work doubs are keeping anyone else up at night?

Thanks for any advice?!

Vicky
do the right thing (uni) as a 51 yr old about to start at Canterbury i know its the only sensible choice, and so do you if your honest. In the long term its gonna pay and not only in cash terms so just do it chicken.
Reply 2
I'm 50 and studying law. I couldn't have done it when I was 27. I had one child, another on the way and a mortgage to pay. I had to put food on the table. Circumstances are different now. I'm financially secure,my family are grown, I have the time, and still the inclination, to study. So my circumstances, to a large extent, dictated when I went to university. Even though I couldn't do it at 27, I'm doing it now at 50. So I think you're personal circumstances need to play a major part in your decision. At the end of the day, though, remember that most people only get a chance to have something like this, a university education, once in their lives. So I'd say, if you can afford it, do it now, you may - but may not - get another chance at it later.
Reply 3
Thank you for both taking the time to reply. My heart is telling to go to Chester and my head is telling me to earn money! I'm in a financial situation that has already adjusted to me being back in education. Thanks though.
Reply 4
Just to add another dimension to your thinking - bear in mind all the talk about huge increases in tuition fees, a graduate tax, cuts in funding for Universities, cut backs on student places, etc.. Maybe if you've got a place this year you should grab it with both hands - the way things are going, you might not get the chance again.
Reply 5
I understand completely where you're coming from - I'm 25, just completed an access course. My doubts were initially when I did my access - my husband had been made redundant, we had rent to meet and 3 children to put food on the table for. I initially considered throwing my Uni dreams out the window and pursuing an admin job with 'working my way up' prospects.

After many many sleepless nights and adding everything up we found out we could just about afford everything, and throwing caution to the wind I went for the access course over the secure income.

It was hard, there were a few disasters that cropped up losing my car as bills mounted and couldnt afford to keep it, and a couple of weeks where it was a real struggle to feed everyone (beans on toast was a feature some weeks).

But I (like i'm sure you have) worked hard to get the access, and after a years work it would be madness to throw away going to University. Yes you have been offered a good job, It is not the only good job out there and with a practical degree under your belt the odds of 'good jobs' are greatly increased.

It's taken me 10 years to get back into education, and there were times during the access I considered throwing it all away and not having to worry about cash, but I knew if I gave up on this ambition I would kick myself for years and years.

I know the temptation of a good job, but it is at the end of the day 'Only money'. Go get your degree and then you'll be able to get a good job in a field you're interested and enjoy. Job satisfaction is worth more than anything.

"Find a Job you love and you'll never work a day in your life!"
Reply 6
I had massive doubts at first, due to financial issues. I left a £18K job to return to education which is by no means a huge wage, but when you think about the amount of time NOT earning this wage it is quite worrying. My year of access course and four-year degree equals five years of only living on my partner's lowly postman wage. But if I hadn't left my job (which I detested anyway) and hadn't started a mid-thirties complete career change I would be kicking myself and I would regret it every single day.
Reply 7
And by the way, I study at Chester Uni and I love it :redface:)

Latest

Trending

Trending