The Student Room Group

This whole film piracy scare is a sham

Does anyone else agree with the opinion that this whole idea that film piracy is whats damaging the film industry and raising prices, is crap?

The fact is, movie studios are run by greedy morons who throw away money, and the entire industry has systemic financial and organisational flaws which leads to the public paying more and more at the cinema.

This idea that piracy is to blame for dropping attendance is a smokescreen to cover this up.

Scroll to see replies

I'm sceptical as to the claims that movie piracy funds terrorism.
Reply 2
Yeah I don't think piracy is to blame for a drop in cinema attendance. Who wants to watch a shaky camcorder copy with bad sound on a tiny screen? Not me.
Reply 3
I agree somewhat, however, there is no doubt that piracy has hit cinemas and studios in a way. Not on the scale being portrayed by the media - no one will see someone like WB or Universal close any time soon.

:h:
Tefhel
Yeah I don't think piracy is to blame for a drop in cinema attendance. Who wants to watch a shaky camcorder copy with bad sound on a tiny screen? Not me.

Maybe someone who wants to take their three kids to see whatever film but can't afford it because it's so damn expensive?

Of course it's better to see it at the cinema, but if I was skint I'd be sorely tempted to watch a pirated copy.

I'd never buy a pirated DVD or anything though, not when most people seem to give them to their friends and friends of friends for free anyway.
Reply 6
Your an idiot.
Ofcourse piracy makes a lot less people go to the cinema.
I wanted to go see the A Team, instead.. i watched it online on a perfect copy.
We wanted to see inception, instead my uncle had a perfect DVD copy.
This is just me.. in the last week.. they've lost 10 quid right there.

Now, take that to millions of others.. many that are worse than me, ofcourse its gonna have a huge effect

Its like saying piracy of songs on limewire n torrents and such have no effect on the music industry.
Grow a brain.

Less people going to cinema = less profits = prices need to go up. Thats one reason prices are going up.
So is the fact of how expensive films are costing to make nowadays, means they are needing to up prices.
Both of these together = prices going up, and a reasonable reason why.

Your whole post must mean you actually know nothing about the film industry or about business's in general. Maybe you should do a little research and stop coming up with your own "conspiracy" stuff or stop following other peoples.
Reply 7
I disagree. All the pirate copies of films add up pretty quickly. The pirate DVD is about £3 and the official one would be about £15. So the company basically loses out on £15 for every pirate copy sold, all over the world. Not including what they may not get from people not going to cinemas to see their film.

I'd say it is a substantial problem, still.
Reply 8
Hello Laura!
Maybe someone who wants to take their three kids to see whatever film but can't afford it because it's so damn expensive?

But then they wouldn't be able to go anyway, so the cinema hasn't lost any business through piracy - they'd either not go and not see the move, or not go but see the movie on the internet.
I still prefer watching movies in the cinema.

Especially with 3D becoming so popular etc.
Reply 10
Record Box Office takings confirms so.
If somone downloads a film from a filesharing website, or streams it online, FOR FREE. How can that possibly fund terrorism?!
...that's always confused me.
I don't know about films but with music, it's a well known fact that the people who download music illegally and are criminalised by the music industry actually spend more money on legal music than their non-illegal downloading counter parts.

So the people the industry are targeting with fines and punishments are ironically the people who are providing most of the revenue for the industry.
Tefhel
But then they wouldn't be able to go anyway, so the cinema hasn't lost any business through piracy - they'd either not go and not see the move, or not go but see the movie on the internet.

But perhaps they could have gone if the cinema wasn't as expensive? Say a maximum of £5 per adult and £2.50 per child could persuade someone to go for the 'real cinema experience'.
Reply 14
Of course it's a massive bluff.

The only reason they keep having to repeat this line that "media piracy is theft," in t.v. adverts etc is because it's a fallacy - it's not true.

The only way to make people think it is, is to keep on insisting it as a statement of fact and insisting that it is exactly the same process as stealing a handbag, or whatever, when clearly it isn't.

To repeat the line often falsely attributed to Joseph Goebbels - "If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it."

If my mate buys a CD and make a copy of it - by etching tiny patterns and holes in one of my blank CD's using Nero burning software - I have not taken something off the music company. I've merely made a copy of it. That ain't theft.
"You wouldn’t steal a car...."

I would if I could download a duplicate of said car from the internet at no cost to any other party and without any risk of retribution...
Reply 16
MaceyThe
I've merely made a copy of it. That ain't theft.

Its not about theft as such, its that you've not given them money, thus they have less money. How is that not obvious to you?
It cost me.. £6.70 for a STUDENT ticket to see inception the other day. This is a ******' rip off.

Oh not to mention the 3.50 tiny box of popcorn.

And of course, the fact you have to pay significantly more to see a film in 3d. And i won't even start on the price of blu ray disks.

Fact is, they are all a bunch of money grabbing *****. Downloading films will never go away, these big company's need to realise this, and work out a way to profit from it, rather than spend so much money fighting a losing battle.

I remember when it was 4.80 for a cinema ticket, non student as well. Those were the days.
Reply 18
Hello Laura!
But perhaps they could have gone if the cinema wasn't as expensive? Say a maximum of £5 per adult and £2.50 per child could persuade someone to go for the 'real cinema experience'.

Yes, true and I agree with you. Which then makes it the cinema's fault which is what the OP is saying :biggrin:
Reply 19
Spetznaaz
It cost me.. £6.70 for a STUDENT ticket to see inception the other day. This is a ******' rip off.

Oh not to mention the 3.50 tiny box of popcorn.

And of course, the fact you have to pay significantly more to see a film in 3d. And i won't even start on the price of blu ray disks.

Fact is, they are all a bunch of money grabbing *****. Downloading films will never go away, these big company's need to realise this, and work out a way to profit from it, rather than spend so much money fighting a losing battle.

I remember when it was 4.80 for a cinema ticket, non student as well. Those were the days.

I'm sure that's really hitting your budget hard... :s-smilie:
I bet you've spent more on luxury foods or frivolous items of clothing...
No-one made you go to see the film. There's no need to be so angry towards the film industry.

Latest

Trending

Trending