The Student Room Group

film studies WJEC predictions

does anyone have any predictions what the questions may look like ? the exam is in like 2 days from today…haven’t even done proper revision 😭 so stressed rn and i’m panicking so can someone pls lmk what they think may or may not come up !!

Scroll to see replies

hi I'm so sorry that i didn't see this sooner!

today's film paper was worded so weirdly and it took me a while to choose what question to do in relation to my chosen films! how did it go for you?
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by Starrytillymae

today's film paper was worded so weirdly and it took me a while to choose what question to do in relation to my chosen films! how did it go for you?

I 100% agree!! i kept looking back at the question sheet like, am i being asked the same question twice?? the ideologies one was awful. still i just tried to write down everything i knew about the films and hoped for the best!! hope you both did well!
Original post by elletheresa
I 100% agree!! i kept looking back at the question sheet like, am i being asked the same question twice?? the ideologies one was awful. still i just tried to write down everything i knew about the films and hoped for the best!! hope you both did well!

omg i feel that! i had essays memorised and a certain formula to answer questions which went completely out the window as soon as i read the questions. it was section c that threw me off because we hadn't studied characters in our film so i kind of just winged it. second b was easy and i wrote near seven pages just on that topic. and section a... i'd written the essay so many times for "production context" that "auteur influence" threw me off entirely!
omg i feel that! i had essays memorised and a certain formula to answer questions which went completely out the window as soon as i read the questions. it was section c that threw me off because we hadn't studied characters in our film so i kind of just winged it. second b was easy and i wrote near seven pages just on that topic. and section a... i'd written the essay so many times for "production context" that "auteur influence" threw me off entirely!

omg im glad u agree yay i was just sat there like, i have never reread questions so much lol like they have never been that confusing in past paper examples right?! i felt like 'character' was such a random choice but i talked about archetypes and felt more relieved. i also completely forgot about auteurs lol!!
omg im glad u agree yay i was just sat there like, i have never reread questions so much lol like they have never been that confusing in past paper examples right?! i felt like 'character' was such a random choice but i talked about archetypes and felt more relieved. i also completely forgot about auteurs lol!!

literally all of my film friends were saying how easy it was... and i have never felt more dumb paha. literally reread the questions so many times before deciding. i wrote all six film intros first just to kill time and gain some marks before going back and adding in key scenes and relating them to the questions.

the term cultural and political context confused me so i chose the auteur question!

which films did you do???

i did casablanca and apocalypse now, la la land and boyhood, and this is england and shaun of the dead (very hard character wise! i wrote barely anything for sotd).
literally all of my film friends were saying how easy it was... and i have never felt more dumb paha. literally reread the questions so many times before deciding. i wrote all six film intros first just to kill time and gain some marks before going back and adding in key scenes and relating them to the questions.

the term cultural and political context confused me so i chose the auteur question!

which films did you do???

i did casablanca and apocalypse now, la la land and boyhood, and this is england and shaun of the dead (very hard character wise! i wrote barely anything for sotd).

i couldnt speak to anyone as i had extra time : ( i wish i'd written the intros thats such a good idea AHHHHHH
i was going to attempt question one of each cause they all sounded the same, but i knew it would kill me to go back and delete what id write. just the intros tho, damnit i wish id thought of that.
i do casablanca and bonnie and clyde, la la land and winters bone and trainspotting and shaun of the dead. thats mad we share one in each category!!!

i literally didnt remeber a thing about auteurs so i feebly talked about the war for casablanca HAHAHAAHAH it was so bad. like i wrote two paragraphs. that was such a horrific question cause i feel like i do know that film.
i agree shaun was hard character wise!! i talked about Propp's character tyoes to begin with, and then i had nothing left in the tank!!!
i couldnt speak to anyone as i had extra time : ( i wish i'd written the intros thats such a good idea AHHHHHH
i was going to attempt question one of each cause they all sounded the same, but i knew it would kill me to go back and delete what id write. just the intros tho, damnit i wish id thought of that.
i do casablanca and bonnie and clyde, la la land and winters bone and trainspotting and shaun of the dead. thats mad we share one in each category!!!

i literally didnt remeber a thing about auteurs so i feebly talked about the war for casablanca HAHAHAAHAH it was so bad. like i wrote two paragraphs. that was such a horrific question cause i feel like i do know that film.
i agree shaun was hard character wise!! i talked about Propp's character tyoes to begin with, and then i had nothing left in the tank!!!

i had extra time for my mocks but i type in a levels so no extra time unfortunately. i actually finished half an hour early and i was like "what else can i add???"

i also spoke about character types and propps in sotd. i wrote how every character represents an ideology, for example shaun is fragile masculinity, liz is femininity and the zombies represent us being slaves to capitalism. i pulled that one out of the bag honestly paha.

yes i feel you! i've written the same casablanca essay so many times that it just left my head. i barely wrote anything too because Curtiz wasn't an auteur and i felt like i was droning on and on about the hollywood system!

i had a clash (so i was in isolation over lunch and couldn't see my friend because i did the english paper in the morning that they were meant to sit in the afternoon while i was doing film) so i didn't see many of my friends beforehand, mainly so i couldn't tell them the english questions. but basically, my friend said that during the english/film exam, they could hear sniffing and crying coming from the film side of the hall which was so funny to me! our english paper was BRUTAL but it was the film paper that broke people.
i had extra time for my mocks but i type in a levels so no extra time unfortunately. i actually finished half an hour early and i was like "what else can i add???"

i also spoke about character types and propps in sotd. i wrote how every character represents an ideology, for example shaun is fragile masculinity, liz is femininity and the zombies represent us being slaves to capitalism. i pulled that one out of the bag honestly paha.

yes i feel you! i've written the same casablanca essay so many times that it just left my head. i barely wrote anything too because Curtiz wasn't an auteur and i felt like i was droning on and on about the hollywood system!

i had a clash (so i was in isolation over lunch and couldn't see my friend because i did the english paper in the morning that they were meant to sit in the afternoon while i was doing film) so i didn't see many of my friends beforehand, mainly so i couldn't tell them the english questions. but basically, my friend said that during the english/film exam, they could hear sniffing and crying coming from the film side of the hall which was so funny to me! our english paper was BRUTAL but it was the film paper that broke people.

i type too but still get extra time. glad u finished early tho!!
girl that sounds amazing!!! be proud of yourself for shaun of the dead that is FAB.
i knew curtiz wasnt an auteur!!! FGS i was thinkig, are they asking me if he was inspired by auteurs??? makes no sense
girl youre like me but not. i also had a clash. think i just seen u in the english lang lit thread HAHAAHA
thats mad people were crying omg!!! this is not ok, i blame the government
i much preferred english!!
(edited 11 months ago)
i type too but still get extra time. glad u finished early tho!!
girl that sounds amazing!!! be proud of yourself for shaun of the dead that is FAB.
i knew curtiz wasnt an auteur!!! FGS i was thinkig, are they asking me if he was inspired by auteurs??? makes no sense
girl youre like me but not. i also had a clash. think i just seen u in the english lang lit thread HAHAAHA
thats mad people were crying omg!!! this is not ok, i blame the government
i much preferred english!!

omg i just saw you on the litlang thread too! so crazy! what other a level do you take???

yes it made me laugh that people were crying. honestly i cried for joy in litlang when it was valentine because it was so easy! but there was no point crying over film when we all learnt the same taught essays to write. there was always gonna be something to write but the questions were just...ridiculous.

surprisingly i preferred english too as much as i was dreading it! excited to never have to write that casablanca essay again and never pick up paris again...
omg i just saw you on the litlang thread too! so crazy! what other a level do you take???

yes it made me laugh that people were crying. honestly i cried for joy in litlang when it was valentine because it was so easy! but there was no point crying over film when we all learnt the same taught essays to write. there was always gonna be something to write but the questions were just...ridiculous.

surprisingly i preferred english too as much as i was dreading it! excited to never have to write that casablanca essay again and never pick up paris again...

this is actually mad lol!! just film and combined cause i dropped drama. our college has had so many teachers in and out in and out ... the latest drama woman couldnt answer a goddamn question lol
omfg i felt the same!! i was like i am going to tear up rn it literally felt like a prank it was valentine!!!!
the poor criers!!!
had a lot more that could have gone with english, so i was never that worried about film lol, but i guess i should have been ...
oh my god stop it doesnt feel real. the real thing should not feel like a mock!!!! what is happening!!!!
this is actually mad lol!! just film and combined cause i dropped drama. our college has had so many teachers in and out in and out ... the latest drama woman couldnt answer a goddamn question lol
omfg i felt the same!! i was like i am going to tear up rn it literally felt like a prank it was valentine!!!!
the poor criers!!!
had a lot more that could have gone with english, so i was never that worried about film lol, but i guess i should have been ...
oh my god stop it doesnt feel real. the real thing should not feel like a mock!!!! what is happening!!!!

omg i feel that painfully! i legit said to my friend who did film last year "so i did my mock today" and she went "uh tilly? that wasn't a mock".

my other friend drove me home and i kept saying to myself "you can't do anything now, and you just did all you can and that's good enough." we stopped by to see my english teacher to tell her the questions and my friend was like "if it goes awful, we can just retake, it's alright" and their nonchalance scared me paha. i don't wanna retake and ever see paris again!
(edited 11 months ago)
omg i feel that painfully! i legit said to my friend who did film last year "so i did my mock today" and she went "uh tilly? that wasn't a mock".

my other friend drove me home and i kept saying to myself "you can't do anything now, and you just did all you can and that's good enough." we stopped by to see my english teacher to tell her the questions and my friend was like "if it goes awful, we can just retake, it's alright" and their nonchalance scared me paha. i don't wanna retake and ever see paris again!

stop it did you actually HAHAAH aw
no absolutely no retakes i am never going back to college after my last paper!!!!!
by the sounds of it you defo wont have to either, so youre right not to worry!!
stop it did you actually HAHAAH aw
no absolutely no retakes i am never going back to college after my last paper!!!!!
by the sounds of it you defo wont have to either, so youre right not to worry!!

yes everything is going to be okay! we can do this!
Reply 14

the section C question was a big fat jump scare ngl like i had to break the sentence down into 6 different parts to understand what the question was looking for..😭 section B was god awful as well but section A was so GOOOOOD
Reply 15

that question was acc decent i just explored points for casablanca that reflected studio systems like:

hays code
war propaganda
collaborative art form- e.g Jack warner, Hall B.Wallis and Micheal curtiz. CB also had screen writers and designers meaning it’s not an auteur film
clarity vs ambiguity
then i said micheal curtiz had a specific style that he adhered to all throughout his other films. he had some power as he had asked to cast Ingrid Bergman and Humphrey Bogart…the studio disapproved of this move but he insisted and got his way showing he kind of did influence the film !! but overall Crutiz is not an auteur 😭 i waffled my way through that question…but section B winters bone and no country for old men ideology KILLED me i was so sad spectatorship never came up cause it was the ONE thing i revised

I had the same clash as you! 5 1/2 hours of essays is so brutal!! So happy I never have to think about paris ever again (so annoyed it was Paris in the sixties, oh well). Also both section C questions were so bad I cant believe there wasn't anything on ideology for it
Original post by grabbycrabby
I had the same clash as you! 5 1/2 hours of essays is so brutal!! So happy I never have to think about paris ever again (so annoyed it was Paris in the sixties, oh well). Also both section C questions were so bad I cant believe there wasn't anything on ideology for it

honestly i was relieved it wasn't seven ages! or the revolution! or even the blogs or websites. but still so sad it wasn't eurostar. oh well paha no more paris anthology ever again!!!!!

i defo would've done better in film if i didn't have the english paper first, and vise versa. two exams on one day shouldn't be allowed but at least i only have to do it once. my friend has to do it twice.

and yes second c did suck! but "key themes and messages" does mean ideology so you could've talked about it there. personally i argued that in both my films *shaun of the dead and this is england*, all characters represent an ideology and binary opposition.
Original post by caaishae
that question was acc decent i just explored points for casablanca that reflected studio systems like:

hays code
war propaganda
collaborative art form- e.g Jack warner, Hall B.Wallis and Micheal curtiz. CB also had screen writers and designers meaning it’s not an auteur film
clarity vs ambiguity
then i said micheal curtiz had a specific style that he adhered to all throughout his other films. he had some power as he had asked to cast Ingrid Bergman and Humphrey Bogart…the studio disapproved of this move but he insisted and got his way showing he kind of did influence the film !! but overall Crutiz is not an auteur 😭 i waffled my way through that question…but section B winters bone and no country for old men ideology KILLED me i was so sad spectatorship never came up cause it was the ONE thing i revised

yes i did include the Hayes code in relation to ilsa's costume and the use of gauze lighting. i also quoted critics and its other influences but i simply couldn't think of anything that made curtiz an auteur! coppola for apocalypse now was easy because he was an auteur and was inspired by traufatt who coined the auteur theory himself so it was quite useful- and of course inspired by sergei eisenstein's strike! (if you studied apocalypse now)

i didn't know about curtiz casting them though so thank you for that.

also i spoke about spectatorship in relation to the ideologies somewhat. like how audiences are meant to react compared to how they do.
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by caaishae
the section C question was a big fat jump scare ngl like i had to break the sentence down into 6 different parts to understand what the question was looking for..😭 section B was god awful as well but section A was so GOOOOOD

section c almost made me cry paha. i wrote all my film intros first and then decided on which questions to answer just because i didn't want to waste the time. section b was pretty good. i wrote seven pages aha. but section a gave me a shock because i didn't quite understand the question until the time was up😭

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending