The Student Room Group

Where to study Mechanical Engineering? (Without Physics)

I have just finished year 12, and I am looking to study mechanical engineering at university. I have taken Maths, Further Maths, Product Design and I.T. I will be dropping I.T next year. Mechanics modules include M1, M2 and M3.
The grades I am looking at are from A*AA - ABB, but obviously I don't do physics therefore finding a university which is very good for engineering can be challenging. I'm just slightly worried that most the universities i'm looking at are saying "prefer physics" as I wanted to go in with a high amount of the requirements necessary.
Therefore can anyone give me any ideas of where the best place is to study mechanical engineering? Based on: course content and satisfacation, location, their experiences/thoughts, etc.
Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Foxy92
I have just finished year 12, and I am looking to study mechanical engineering at university. I have taken Maths, Further Maths, Product Design and I.T. I will be dropping I.T next year. Mechanics modules include M1, M2 and M3.
The grades I am looking at are from A*AA - ABB, but obviously I don't do physics therefore finding a university which is very good for engineering can be challenging. I'm just slightly worried that most the universities i'm looking at are saying "prefer physics" as I wanted to go in with a high amount of the requirements necessary.
Therefore can anyone give me any ideas of where the best place is to study mechanical engineering? Based on: course content and satisfacation, location, their experiences/thoughts, etc.
Thanks.

Hmm... I can only really speak for my own choice. But at Notts the specification states 'Maths with preferably Physics at A-level'.

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ugstudy/course.php?code=000365

However, they only really added the 'preferably physics' part for 2011 entry (I think because they moved up quite a bit in some tables so can afford to be a bit more picky).

I personally did physics at A-level and got an unconditional offer but the admissions tutor at Nottingham was very 'un-elitist' and basically had a 'if you want to come here then we want you to come here' sort of out attitude.

How I would tier it - And I know Smack will have a go at me for this because they are all accredited but...

Cambridge = Imperial
Bristol = Southampton = Bath
Nottingham = Sheffield = Loughborugh = Cardiff = Birmingham = Strathclyde = Manchester = Aberdeen etc etc
Byllie

How I would tier it - And I know Smack will have a go at me for this because they are all accredited but...

Cambridge = Imperial
Bristol = Southampton = Bath
Nottingham = Sheffield = Loughborugh = Cardiff = Birmingham = Strathclyde = Manchester = Aberdeen etc etc

I have no problems with ranking universities according to the criteria that someone finds important, but I have to question why the distinction between tier 2 and tier 3. Specifically what is better about Bath, Soton and Bristol than the tier 3 unis? (Cambridge and Imperial might well teach you that bit extra or whatever, but according to employment data that doesn't translate over into the best employment.)

For me, the main criteria was employment rates. I believe that a high employment rate speaks volumes about how employers regard the quality and relevance of the course and how good the university's geographical location is to have contact with local firms. Bath, a 'tier 2' uni according to you, has an employment rate of 76%. That's almost 20% less than mine, and Sheffield's - a tier 3 uni according to you.

The only logic I can see behind your tier system is entry grades. But even then, surely since Strathclyde wants AAAAB at higher and AAA at A-level, it should be either 1st or 2nd tier? And surely judging universities based on their entry requirements has been discredited literally millions of times by now?

Even looking at research, there's a case for Sheffield being tier 1 and Notts, Manc, Lufbra and Surrey being tier 2.
Reply 3
Smack
I have no problems with ranking universities according to the criteria that someone finds important, but I have to question why the distinction between tier 2 and tier 3. Specifically what is better about Bath, Soton and Bristol than the tier 3 unis? (Cambridge and Imperial might well teach you that bit extra or whatever, but according to employment data that doesn't translate over into the best employment.)

For me, the main criteria was employment rates. I believe that a high employment rate speaks volumes about how employers regard the quality and relevance of the course and how good the university's geographical location is to have contact with local firms. Bath, a 'tier 2' uni according to you, has an employment rate of 76%. That's almost 20% less than mine, and Sheffield's - a tier 3 uni according to you.

The only logic I can see behind your tier system is entry grades. But even then, surely since Strathclyde wants AAAAB at higher and AAA at A-level, it should be either 1st or 2nd tier? And surely judging universities based on their entry requirements has been discredited literally millions of times by now?

Even looking at research, there's a case for Sheffield being tier 1 and Notts, Manc, Lufbra and Surrey being tier 2.

Yes correct - tier two I selected purely on the basis of entry grades, applicants per place, and general reputation for being harder to get into.

The difference between tier two and three though is marginal IMO and you could theoretically bunch them all together, I just separated them to be cute.

Sheffield has an employment rate of 94% because 94% of their Mech Eng students get a 1st or 2:1. Personally I think that's a little fishy but there you go.

Employment rates for Mechanical Engineering courses aren't really that variable (or important) either - it's only ever like +/- 10 points between the universities stated, even including imperial and cambridge. Nothing compared to the +/-30 OR 40 you will see for a subject like Sociology or Economics within the top 20-30.
University of Ulster

From their website:
"A level
BEng Hons - A minimum of 220 UCAS Tariff Points to include grades CC to include Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Technology or Engineering. (If Technology or Engineering, must have GCSE Mathematics at grade A)

MEng - A minimum of 300 UCAS Tariff Points to include grades BB to include Mathematics and one from Physics, Chemistry, Technology or Engineering"
Byllie
Yes correct - tier two I selected purely on the basis of entry grades, applicants per place, and general reputation for being harder to get into.

The difference between tier two and three though is marginal IMO and you could theoretically bunch them all together, I just separated them to be cute.

Sheffield has an employment rate of 94% because 94% of their Mech Eng students get a 1st or 2:1. Personally I think that's a little fishy but there you go.

General reputation is a bit flawed as it varies from place to place. I'll use the example of Strathclyde again: how many English people will have heard of it? Precisely, therefore it doesn't have much of a reputation amongst the UK as a whole, but in Scotland, it obviously gets a huge amount of applicants, hence why it can ask for AAAAB at higher, which is equivalent to AAA at A-level.

Employment rates for Mechanical Engineering courses aren't really that variable (or important) either - it's only ever like +/- 10 points between the universities stated, even including imperial and cambridge. Nothing compared to the +/-30 OR 40 you will see for a subject like Sociology or Economics within the top 20-30.

Have you seen the league tables? There are places like London Southbank that have employment rates in the 30s.
Birmingham, or so I've heard. :creep:
HiBear
Reply 7
Smack
General reputation is a bit flawed as it varies from place to place. I'll use the example of Strathclyde again: how many English people will have heard of it? Precisely, therefore it doesn't have much of a reputation amongst the UK as a whole, but in Scotland, it obviously gets a huge amount of applicants, hence why it can ask for AAAAB at higher, which is equivalent to AAA at A-level.

Have you seen the league tables? There are places like London Southbank that have employment rates in the 30s.

Did you fast track onto your second year or are you completing a 5 year course? That would my only qualm with studying in Scotland - the added year
Reply 8
+ polarity -
Birmingham, or so I've heard. :creep:

what mech? i dont do mech... silly boy :p:
HiBear
what mech? i dont do mech... silly boy :p:

I know, I know :ashamed2:

Spoiler

Reply 10
+ polarity -
I know, I know :ashamed2:

Spoiler

it's okay.

OP if you ever want to come over to the dark side and do chem eng instead of cookies we can offer you a degree where physics is not required to get in :h:

Spoiler

Smack

London Southbank also has one of the highest average graduate salaries in the country... WEIRD
HiBear
it's okay.

Spoiler

Really? Does modding take up a lot of time? :erm:
Reply 13
+ polarity -
Really? Does modding take up a lot of time? :erm:

depends.................................

i dont like spammers :mad: so ill stop spamming :biggrin:
Byllie
Did you fast track onto your second year or are you completing a 5 year course? That would my only qualm with studying in Scotland - the added year

I went into first year. Don't see the downside in being a student for an extra year, though.
Reply 15
Smack
I went into first year. Don't see the downside in being a student for an extra year, though.

I guess it's not so bad cos you don't pay fees
Byllie
I guess it's not so bad cos you don't pay fees

And English and Welsh students don't pay for the extra year.
I'm not sure if this is directly addressing what you asked but wouldn't picking up AS Physics really benefit you? It shouldn't be very taxing considering you've done M1 M2 and M3. Although there may be many very good universities that do not require physics it is a preference and if you've got the time and capability to do it I would suggest doing it at least to show you're capable.
This is exactly my situation!!!
i want to do engineering mechanics,
I'm currently doing Maths (mechanics), ICT, Product Design(resistant materials) and Art

I wish I did further maths and physics instead of art and ict I absolutely hate them :frown:
But I picked these four subjects because I wasn't sure what I want to do in the future,
after a year, my favourite subjects are design technology and maths, it's totally the opposite from GCSE O:

i would assume that you are doing your second year at university now, did you find a good uni eventually? Desperate to know, got a passion to study it :biggrin:

but my grades are rubbish, I did no work in the past year, I've only started working half way through April, rushing my DT coursework and ICT coursework, I know I'll get D for ICT, got an E for more January core 1 exam, resat it think I'll get a B at least(was too slow missed out 14 marks question but hopefully get the ones I did right), I have no interest in art anymore I did nothing to my coursework :frown: the deadline's another two weeks tho so I'll work on that last :wink:. Mechanics exam is next Friday, think I'll work hard on it and try to get the best grade as I can :smile:

i will work hard next year (if I can pass this year), resit all my exams and re-submit all the coursework get the best grade as I can and go do engineering mechanics!!!
and my dream is to start learning German, if I'm really really good at it I'll apply for a German uni!!! love Germany!!
Reply 19
Original post by EllieOmighty
This is exactly my situation!!!
i want to do engineering mechanics,
I'm currently doing Maths (mechanics), ICT, Product Design(resistant materials) and Art

I wish I did further maths and physics instead of art and ict I absolutely hate them :frown:
But I picked these four subjects because I wasn't sure what I want to do in the future,
after a year, my favourite subjects are design technology and maths, it's totally the opposite from GCSE O:

i would assume that you are doing your second year at university now, did you find a good uni eventually? Desperate to know, got a passion to study it :biggrin:

but my grades are rubbish, I did no work in the past year, I've only started working half way through April, rushing my DT coursework and ICT coursework, I know I'll get D for ICT, got an E for more January core 1 exam, resat it think I'll get a B at least(was too slow missed out 14 marks question but hopefully get the ones I did right), I have no interest in art anymore I did nothing to my coursework :frown: the deadline's another two weeks tho so I'll work on that last :wink:. Mechanics exam is next Friday, think I'll work hard on it and try to get the best grade as I can :smile:

i will work hard next year (if I can pass this year), resit all my exams and re-submit all the coursework get the best grade as I can and go do engineering mechanics!!!
and my dream is to start learning German, if I'm really really good at it I'll apply for a German uni!!! love Germany!!

good, don't give up on your dream :smile: work hard.

Quick Reply

Latest