The Student Room Group

My friend is ignoring me.

Because I told her she plays safe all the time. There are many examples.. but here a few... when we were in London she wouldn't drink cause she didn't "know the area" and wouldn't go to T in the park incase she got hurt, never comes out anymore because she doesn't know a few of the people going despite knowing others...

It wasn't really a critcism more of an observation. I apologised and she say okay but she has ignored my texts and phonecalls since. :s-smilie:

She is one of my good friends, she has always been there for me but I'd like her to be a bit more out there and not let people walk all over her, and to be less withdrawn! She doesn't really talk unless she's spoken to these days :s

Anyway, how can I get her to stop ignoring me? :/

I'm meant to be going to this guys house who we both know (but shes more friendly with them since they had a "thing") and it's really all her new friends that are going, and a few of mine :s-smilie: Don't know if i should bother :sigh:

Scroll to see replies

Go to the party and sort it out with her there. I hate the ignoring method when someone's annoyed.
Reply 2
$tar£reaker
Go to the party and sort it out with her there. I hate the ignoring method when someone's annoyed.

I would but most of the people who are going are her friends. The guy only knows me through her. Only one other person going I'm really going friends with.
Reply 3
No one else? :confused: I'm so ******* pissed off. I hate being ignored. But if she wants to behave like that, two people can play that game
Reply 4
pamelaa
No one else? :confused: I'm so ******* pissed off. I hate being ignored. But if she wants to behave like that, two people can play that game

Nonono, don't be like that, or you'll never be friends again. Just go to his house and TALK to her
Reply 5
pamelaa
I would but most of the people who are going are her friends. The guy only knows me through her. Only one other person going I'm really going friends with.

kinda seems like you only want her to stop ignoring you for your own selfish reasons that you don't wanna be at this party alone

but meh, maybe she's not ignoring you deliberately. if she doesn't speak unless spoken to these days, she might be going through some rough times?
Go to the party anyway.

"Been trying to call you all day to see when you were arriving (or whatever). Want a beer?"
Reply 7
arabie
kinda seems like you only want her to stop ignoring you for your own selfish reasons that you don't wanna be at this party alone

but meh, maybe she's not ignoring you deliberately. if she doesn't speak unless spoken to these days, she might be going through some rough times?

She's talking to everyone else but me. I'm not too fussed about going really. I'm quite tired. She's the one who has isolated herself from a lot of her friends seems like I'm the next one to go, and I am the only one who really cared.
So you're criticising her with regards to not going out when she doesn't know people and you're doing exactly the same thing yourself? Bit hypocritical, no?

Anyhoo, try meeting up where she can't so easily avoid you and confront her. She might resent the fact that you are trying to change her so I'd apologise for that and say that you think she should meet new people.

Howzat?
Reply 9
Let her cool off and try approaching her rationally. Explain that you meant no harm and say that you won't do it again if it offends her.
Reply 10
pamelaa
She's talking to everyone else but me. I'm not too fussed about going really. I'm quite tired. She's the one who has isolated herself from a lot of her friends seems like I'm the next one to go, and I am the only one who really cared.

hmm, quite strange. i dunno, i've done that before and i know that at the time i just felt let down by all my so called friends and the fact that they were too proud or whatever to get in contact with me just proved to me more how little they cared

probs different situation but may help.. just talk to her one last time, see how it goes
SummerAnthems
So you're criticising her with regards to not going out when she doesn't know people and you're doing exactly the same thing yourself? Bit hypocritical, no?

Anyhoo, try meeting up where she can't so easily avoid you and confront her. She might resent the fact that you are trying to change her so I'd apologise for that and say that you think she should meet new people.

Howzat?

I thought this :/

Just go TO her and speak to her face.
Reply 12
arabie
hmm, quite strange. i dunno, i've done that before and i know that at the time i just felt let down by all my so called friends and the fact that they were too proud or whatever to get in contact with me just proved to me more how little they cared

probs different situation but may help.. just talk to her one last time, see how it goes

I'm not very good with conflict. I feel like punching her tbh. Lol. :laugh:
I just hate being ignored. So ******* rude and petty.
Reply 13
Sarah.Rivers
I thought this :/

Just go TO her and speak to her face.

Well you thought wrong. :p: In the example I made two of her good friends were going but this time it's only her (who's not talking to me) and this other girl that I'm good friends with that are going. :smile:
Have you actually stopped thinking about doing what YOU want and do what SHE wants. It sounds like She's upset or something's happened to make her feel so reclusive. Maybe stop and ask her if She's ok. You know... Be a good friend. Sometimes a little give rather than take take take goes a long way. Organise a girly night where you and her watch a film or a boxset, gossip and munch a pizza. If She's a home girl She's not going to take kindly to you wheeling her out all the time.
Reply 15
tenement_funster
Have you actually stopped thinking about doing what YOU want and do what SHE wants. It sounds like She's upset or something's happened to make her feel so reclusive. Maybe stop and ask her if She's ok. You know... Be a good friend. Sometimes a little give rather than take take take goes a long way. Organise a girly night where you and her watch a film or a boxset, gossip and munch a pizza. If She's a home girl She's not going to take kindly to you wheeling her out all the time.

She's fine, lol. There's nothing wrong with her really. She's always been quite quiet. I guess people just got fed up with that. People just take advantage of you if you're dead quiet, and walkover you that's what I was trying to explain to her. Like she's now nearly 19 and until recently had never had a job and just gave up because "noone wanted her" :rolleyes: She said to me the other day we don't have anything in common anymore, I guess she's right. I wish people were more open like me though instead of just ignoring your problems and wishing them away!
pamelaa
She's fine, lol. There's nothing wrong with her really. She's always been quite quiet. I guess people just got fed up with that. People just take advantage of you if you're dead quiet, and walkover you that's what I was trying to explain to her. Like she's now nearly 19 and until recently had never had a job and just gave up because "noone wanted her" :rolleyes: She said to me the other day we don't have anything in common anymore, I guess she's right. I wish people were more open like me though instead of just ignoring your problems and wishing them away!

Please don't mock people who've never had a job. I'd literally kill for a job right now. Well maybe She's giving you the cold shoulder because she just doesn't want to be friends? If you have no common interests, you want to go out she doesn't, i've just realised thats the problem with me and my two best friends, my only friends to be honest. Two weeks ago i suggested going alton towers today. Guess what? They planned to go there without me, they went today, and I only found out because of her status bragging about how much she loves her besties. The point of that little anecdote was that its not as if you're not inviting her to stuff. If she doesn't want to go thats her perogative, i'm guessing you won't be able to change it, She's an adult now, a quiet librarian type is just who she is.
Reply 17
tenement_funster
Please don't mock people who've never had a job. I'd literally kill for a job right now. Well maybe She's giving you the cold shoulder because she just doesn't want to be friends? If you have no common interests, you want to go out she doesn't, i've just realised thats the problem with me and my two best friends, my only friends to be honest. Two weeks ago i suggested going alton towers today. Guess what? They planned to go there without me, they went today, and I only found out because of her status bragging about how much she loves her besties. The point of that little anecdote was that its not as if you're not inviting her to stuff. If she doesn't want to go thats her perogative, i'm guessing you won't be able to change it, She's an adult now, a quiet librarian type is just who she is.

I didn't mock anyone, lol. She obviously didn't try hard enough. I've had about 4 longterm jobs since I was 16, and I'll be 20 next year. If you really want something you'll get it! Trust me!
Reply 18
Don't know if I shholu dgo or not hmm... some people are so petty
If you really want to smooth things over, you can't go around saying she's being "petty and rude". Maybe she just needs a bit of time to cool off? I'm not saying you said anything particularly offensive (well not in my opinion), but maybe it's something she's sensitive about. I have a friend like that, but it's more her parents worries stopping her doing things- I know it's a sensitive issue so I stay clear.
As for this party, if you do go- I would try and sort things out with her as soon as you get there. Take her to one side and ask her why she has been ignoring you. If she says she doesn't want to speak to you, I would stay a bit longer- be friendly to everyone and then maybe leave a bit earlier than planned!

Latest

Trending

Trending