The Student Room Group

Feminism

Anon or delete

Yeah so, feminism? They claim to be for equal rights but what about them not speaking out for (as we have seen today on TSR) the retierment age, the courts casual sexism towards men in children's cases, divorce, rape ect, car insurance (regardless of statistics) and paternity leave.

Another point I would like to bring up is abortions. I know it's a touchy subject but it HAS to be discussed. If a women gets pregnant she can terminate it if she pleases (And is knowingly aware of the physical and emotional side-effects). Yet a father has no right to this? Why is that? the child is 50% his. I propose a "Paternal abortion". Which would be a contract a father signs, which is in effect an abortion. It wouldn't really terminate the pregnancy, but it would strip the father of all legal and financial responsibility for the child. Women can do it when they please so why must a father (if he doesn't want the child) have to have his life screwed up when a women can choose wheather or not to have hers screwed up?

Thats hardly equal.

How can feminists claim to be equal? They are sexist towards men by NOT campaigning for these.

One of my friends volenteers as a Trauma Center and one of the projects he was working on was creating a male only trauma group. The center already have a women only one by the way. Yet when he called up a few hospitals the female receptionists claimed that a male only group was 'bad', 'illegal' and 'immoral'. I would like to know why the hell some feminists feel this way?

How can they claim to promote equality when they go against men in these senses?

Disclaimer: *NOT ALL but a number of them are against men to some extent. Even if its that they don't campaign for rights of the father in court or other points I've brought up*

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Anonymous
Anon or delete

Yeah so, feminism? They claim to be for equal rights but what about them not speaking out for (as we have seen today on TSR) the retierment age, the courts casual sexism towards men in children's cases, divorce, rape ect, car insurance (regardless of statistics) and paternity leave.

Another point I would like to bring up is abortions. I know it's a touchy subject but it HAS to be discussed. If a women gets pregnant she can terminate it if she pleases (And is knowingly aware of the physical and emotional side-effects). Yet a father has no right to this? Why is that? the child is 50% his. I propose a "Paternal abortion". Which would be a contract a father signs, which is in effect an abortion. It wouldn't really terminate the pregnancy, but it would strip the father of all legal and financial responsibility for the child. Women can do it when they please so why must a father (if he doesn't want the child) have to have his life screwed up when a women can choose wheather or not to have hers screwed up?

Thats hardly equal.

How can feminists claim to be equal? They are sexist towards men by NOT campaigning for these.

One of my friends volenteers as a Trauma Center and one of the projects he was working on was creating a male only trauma group. The center already have a women only one by the way. Yet when he called up a few hospitals the female receptionists claimed that a male only group was 'bad', 'illegal' and 'immoral'. I would like to know why the hell some feminists feel this way?

How can they claim to promote equality when they go against men in these senses?

Disclaimer: *NOT ALL but a number of them are against men to some extent. Even if its that they don't campaign for rights of the father in court or other points I've brought up*

Women have to fight for their rights before fighting for those of other people.

it's no use going against campaining for a cause by saying OMG but what about us?! that's not the point. for example, black people campaining against racial discrimination, you wouldn't say "yeah but whites are also discriminated against, are they?". No, because in history it was black people getting all the stick, not whites. The same as women get all the stick, and not men.
Reply 2
I don't like feminism
The whole concept of a group campaigning for equality through adopting a gendered perspective confounds me.
Reply 4
I posted on this yesterday. It's not as simple as saying that "Feminists fight for X" because there are different branches of feminism.

Feminists fight to further the cause for women (despite what men's rights happen to be), sometimes that is to give rights to women that men already have, but in other cases (increasingly) that is to give rights to women that men don't have.

Therefore, whilst they do cross over (when men have the upper hand) feminists aren't the same as equalitarians.
screenager2004
The whole concept of a group campaigning for equality through adopting a gendered perspective confounds me.

:yep:
What feminists need is a punishment ****. That way, everybody's pleased.
this thread is just gonna lead to comments like "i hate feminists", "get back to the kitchen", "make me a sammich" etc. nothing productive or remotely intellectual i'm sure.
Reply 8
MrHappy_J
Seven_Three :rolleyes:

as we already discussed, women have to fight for their rights before fighting for those of other people.

it's no use going against campaining for a cause by saying OMG but what about us?! that's not the point. for example, black people campaining against racial discrimination, you wouldn't say "yeah but whites are also discriminated against, are they?". No, because in history it was black people getting all the stick, not whites. The same as women get all the stick, and not men.

No, there is a distinct difference. Black people haven't campaigned to have a compulsory quota of MPs, for example. Women have (argued at 40%, which Spain already has) - though their plan of course didn't also extend to men also getting a compulsory 40%.

You may claim that this is to redress the balance in Parliament, true, but if this law were to come to pass, what may then happen is that the balance may skew the other way, and no feminist I have ever heard sounded particularly bothered about this happening. If they were truly equalitarians they would argue that both genders get a minimum quota of 40% each (and the remaining 20% is free to be either gender). If what you're saying is true, why don't they do this? Instead of women alone?

Using the Black civil rights movement is a flawed argument as they were fighting for equal rights, not extra rights, which is the modern priority of feminism.
Reply 9
Craig_D
No, there is a distinct difference. Black people haven't campaigned to have a compulsory quota of MPs, for example. Women have (argued at 40%, which Spain already has) - though their plan of course didn't also extend to men also getting a compulsory 40%.

You may claim that this is to redress the balance in Parliament, true, but if this law were to come to pass, what may then happen is that the balance may skew the other way, and no feminist I have ever heard sounded particularly bothered about this happening. If they were truly equalitarians they would argue that both genders get a minimum quota of 40% each (and the remaining 20% is free to be either gender). If what you're saying is true, why don't they do this? Instead of women alone?

Using the Black civil rights movement is a flawed argument as they were fighting for equal rights, not extra rights, which is the modern priority of feminism.

This is a ridiculous suggestion, seeing as the vast majority of MP's are men anyway. It would mean that some male MP's would have to be sacked, with the excuse of "sorry, but we have exceeded the minimun quota of 40%". :rolleyes:

Let's face it, if a thread like this was created about the black civil rights movement, people would be screaming "RACIST". But because it's feminism we're talking about, and of course all feminists are man-haters (!), it's perfectly acceptable to look at it from a non-tolerant perspective and the person in question will never get any negative feedback at all.
Feminism prioritises a womans right to not shave her legs over a mans right to see his children after divorce.
Reply 11
Why the anon?
Reply 12
MrHappy_J
This is a ridiculous suggestion, seeing as the vast majority of MP's are men anyway. It would mean that some male MP's would have to be sacked, with the excuse of "sorry, but we have exceeded the minimun quota of 40%". :rolleyes:

I already covered that. Changing the law may lead to the balance skewing the other way - who knows? Either way, the fact that men don't currently need this law is completely irrelevant, it's the principle, you'd be giving women a right that men don't have. If you think that men will always have 40% representation in parliament, then why not give them the law too as a gesture, just to make sure? If you're right that men will always have good representation then you don't have anything to lose.

I can't believe the hypocrisy that you would support such an unreasonable change of the law - after you claimed that feminism fights for equality. Can't you see how this view contradicts that? You've just proved my point, feminists don't fight for equality, they fight to increase the rights of women with complete disregard for what men's rights are.
Reply 13
Craig_D
I already covered that. Changing the law may lead to the balance skewing the other way - who knows? Either way, the fact that men don't currently need this law is completely irrelevant, it's the principle, you'd be giving women a right that men don't have. If you think that men will always have 40% representation in parliament, then why not give them the law too as a gesture, just to make sure? If you're right that men will always have good representation then you don't have anything to lose.

I can't believe the hypocrisy that you would support such an unreasonable change of the law - after you claimed that feminism fights for equality. Can't you see how this view contradicts that? You've just proved my point, feminists don't fight for equality, they fight to increase the rights of women with complete disregard for what men's rights are.

It's pretty hard to disagree with this. Surely the logical thing to do would be to give both genders 40% representation, and then no one can complain about not being treated as equals. How can anyone disagree with that? If you disagree, you're supporting some form of prejudice, whether it be against man or woman.
Craig_D

Well it would certainly reduce the number of male MP's in parliament and balance the gender disparity. Looking at it from that perspective I suppose it would be a good thing.

But you don't just give laws as "a gesture", in order to keep both males and females happy and stop them from complaining, as you say. And whether men need such laws or not is totally relevant, how can you say otherwise?
Reply 15
MarknSpark
It's pretty hard to disagree with this. Surely the logical thing to do would be to give both genders 40% representation, and then no one can complain about not being treated as equals. How can anyone disagree with that? If you disagree, you're supporting some form of prejudice, whether it be against man or woman.

Exactly! If you support women getting 40%, but not men, because of the excuse of "they don't need it! :rolleyes:", in which case, why bother opposing it then? Clearly, any feminist opposing men getting 40% too, wants men to have less rights.
But what happens if the woman gets raped and wishes to abort? How on earth would she go about doing that?

I'm not a feminist, in fact i'll even go on to say that they annoy me. I'm very content with the way things are now, but the abortion thing is a touchy subject for me. As the woman is the one carrying the baby for 9 months, has to give birth to the baby and breast feed it I do feel that she should have a choice on whether she wants to abort it or not.

The reason why women abort is because they feel that they are unable to raise a baby in their current circumstances. It's not an act of selfishness, it's the exact opposite!
Maybe if men were the ones who had to give birth then they'd understand!
Reply 17
MrHappy_J
Well it would certainly reduce the number of male MP's in parliament and balance the gender disparity. Looking at it from that perspective I suppose it would be a good thing.

But you don't just give laws as "a gesture", in order to keep both males and females happy and stop them from complaining, as you say. And whether men need such laws or not is totally relevant, how can you say otherwise?

Because it acts as a precaution to men becoming marginalized, stopping it before it may (or may not) happen. If you fight for equality, then surely you should think this is a good idea?

Are you really telling me, that out of a choice between women getting 40% representation guaranteed, and men and women both getting 40% guaranteed, you opt for the former? How can you possibly justify that? If you claim that men don't need it, well then it won't bother you either way, so why oppose it?

Clearly you think that the hypothetical situation of men having just 20% is a good thing? Otherwise why block a precaution to stop it ever happening when you already get yours too? Clearly you want men to have one less right than women? Why else block it? It's no skin off your nose either way, it is? You aren't fighting for equality at all.
Umbrella.Girl
But what happens if the woman gets raped and wishes to abort? How on earth would she go about doing that?
I'm not a feminist, in fact i'll even go on to say that they annoy me. I'm very content with the way things are now, but the abortion thing is a touchy subject for me. As the woman is the one carrying the baby for 9 months, has to give birth to the baby and breast feed it I do feel that she should have a choice on whether she wants to abort it or not.

The reason why women abort is because they feel that they are unable to raise a baby in their current circumstances. It's not an act of selfishness, it's the exact opposite!
Maybe if men were the ones who had to give birth then they'd understand!

she can abort, the law will permit her to do this under the circumstances.

why do feminists annoy you?
You've used the typical phrase of "I'm not a feminist, BUT" due to the negative connotations induced by the media. How sad.
The sort of equality some feminist want is never going to be achieved successfully, because women and men are not equal in desire. Feminists want an easily packaged equality: 'look, the same number of men and women do everything'; but this is clearly ridiculous. Men and women want different things, men and women are not the same and as such there are going to be differences.

True equality is if a women wants to do something being able to do it without her sex helping or hindering her, not an equal amount of men and women doing the same thing.

Latest

Trending

Trending