The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I have the most amazing manager ever!!!

I can get anything I want.

I can arrive pretty much anytime I want.

We always go out on fridays to the pub. My manager buys the drinks.

My manager only employs young people and people from other countries so you meet loads of interesting people.

£6 for lunch :biggrin:

Just overall great job and great manager i have. I work at Oxfam btw.
Reply 61
ziggycj
Yeah, i went into three shops.

1st one (BHF) didnt even reply (they probs just threw away my CV as soon as I left.

2nd - Kept making sure i knew I wasnt gonna get paid even though i asked to "volunteer" not "work".

3rd- Oxfam- This is the one i worked at in the end, they were just surprised I had more qualifications ( I was in my 2 year of Alevels) than the form gives space for :rolleyes: . But they were nice.

I dont get why they dont think young people would volunteer. They had 2 other young volunteers and lots of people need to do things for DofE and work experience.

Spongebob*No*Pants
I have the most amazing manager ever!!!

I can get anything I want.

I can arrive pretty much anytime I want.

We always go out on fridays to the pub. My manager buys the drinks.

My manager only employs young people and people from other countries so you meet loads of interesting people.

£6 for lunch :biggrin:

Just overall great job and great manager i have. I work at Oxfam btw.

Muffinz
The people who I volunteered with at my local Oxfam shop were really nice. The manageress was the mother of one of the kids in my maths class. She was lovely, even if I didn't see her often, and helped me with my v50 logbook and references for jobs. You must have been unlucky on both counts, I'm sorry.

This! In my experience Oxfam is better than other charity shops as it is a much bigger company than many and more like a proper organisation (if that makes sense). The manager at my shop is an ex-teacher and is really nice (if a little patronising :p: ) All the staff are really nice too - there used to be some horrible old ladies, typical charity shop workers that everyone else seems to be experiencing, but they left when we got a new till as they don't like things changing! So try and find a bit more modern charity shop, OP. Seems like Oxfam is the way to go :h:
weirdly this thread has motivated me to fill a bag with clothes to donate :P
When I volunteered at my local CHSW they were really nice, and I was only working an hour a week.
Reply 64
Kiwiguy

YES! I saw that the other day. PECKNAM!
Reply 65
rebecca_george
weirdly this thread has motivated me to fill a bag with clothes to donate :P

Just thought I'd commend you on this - you're donating to a brilliant cause :smile:
Hellz_Bellz!
I found this in both cases when I went to apply to volunteer today at two separate shops. I was actually STUNNED at the manageress' rudeness, bitterness and coldness. When I approached her she gave me the most filthy look I think I've ever received.

She also acted very obnoxiously: she asked me when I could work, I said Mondays or Tuesdays were best for me, then she said "This Thursday then." She interrupted me, and snatched the form from me.

I regret giving her my number, but she can phone all she wants, I am not working there with a complete a***hole as a boss.

Anyway, so - shocked out of my mind - I went into a second one ( which I'd never planned to do ) and got the same crap there!!! She even had the cheek to say in a really patronising way "You do know you're not going to paid, right?" WTF

Don't these people REALISE that I was willing to give up MY time FOR FREE to work for them? Well they can go f*** themselves, that's what I say.

Have you ever found this? Any idea WHY these people are so uptight and rude?

I do already work in one and the manager is OK but that's only because I got a reference from someone I know who works there. I bet if I just turned up she'd be just as b*tchy. The only reason I wanted to apply to others is because I wanted to work closer to home, but stuff that.

:frown:

Variety of reasons.

One of which is that they do get paid, and sometimes may forget that the volunteers are exactly that - volunteers.

Secondly, they don't get paid that much and have to do an awful lot of work for that salary. On top of that, they have their own sales targets to meet - not easy when you are dependent on donated stock.

But...yeah, still no excuse for a bad attitude and bad manners.

Part of the experience for those starting out in a career in anything through volunteering in charity shops is to remember that it is a two-way thing. Yes, you are getting the experience but they too are getting a helping hand - and if you cannot make the hours they give you, then that's that. There are far more charity shops out there that would take you on.
Reply 67
ily_em
So try and find a bit more modern charity shop, OP. Seems like Oxfam is the way to go :h:

Indeed it does! I'll give it a go :smile: Thanks for the advice everyone.
Because they're working for free?
hey, im soo sorry you've had 2 such unfortunate experiences :frown: ive had two charity shop jobs my first one last year didnt end that brilliant and i didnt feel that supported but, in late febuary this year i found my current job which is the total opposite :smile: i feel totally supported, my shop manager is a really lovely person who really does care for the charity and her volunteers, its a pleasure to work for her, i never feel like she takes me for granted and totally understands if i cant make a certain shift :smile: i feel so lucky to have found my current voluntry work, im sure if you decide to look again you will eventually find one like mine :smile: dont let thoose two make you have the impression all managers are like that because they most deffinatly ARENT! goodluck :smile:
Reply 70
Original post by chronic_fatigue
Yeah, my little sis was there too. She tried to whisper it to a co-worker but most people heard.

Hahaha, she just asked you to stand at the door?!? It's a charity shop for God's sake not Versace, who steals from charity shops?

The shop I've been volunteering at got rid of their changing room as they said there was people going in to try items on, putting stuff on under their clothes and leaving with them.
Reply 71
I am a charity shop manager and would never treat anyone like that , especially one who is willing to give up spare time , you must've gone to the wrong ones on the wrong day , we went all bad 😀
Original post by Lamptastic
Yep South London, you in Peckham?
:smile:

For some reason that area is always being mentioned...my friend called the police last week as he heard gun shots from his window. Some bloke shot the windows of a nearby parked car.
:afraid:

Gosh, do you know where that was in Peckham? A friend lives there. :eek:
In year 11 I was a volunteer in my local British heart foundation and the manager was a complete miserable bully and I ended up leaving via the fire exit one day as I couldnt cope anymore.

But I imagine the reasons why she was so nasty was because
charity shop managers are on low pay
the work is demanding giving lack of permanent staff
managers may be working for the charity for personal reasons for instance this Manager's husband died of heart disease so that may explain their *****y mood

However my father is a charity shop manager and I wouldn't say he fits the stereotype
Reply 74
I am the store manager for Barnardo's and I am sad to read the comments ,in my store we are always grateful when someone asks about volunteering as it is very difficult to get volunteers in my town and I would never look down at donations we are grateful for everything we get, don't get me wrong some people use us like the local dump but most are saleable items,also my store is huge and also a warehouse that stocks 10 other stores in my area so we are run off our feet constantly and always looking for help.
Original post by Hellz_Bellz!
I found this in both cases when I went to apply to volunteer today at two separate shops. I was actually STUNNED at the manageress' rudeness, bitterness and coldness. When I approached her she gave me the most filthy look I think I've ever received.

She also acted very obnoxiously: she asked me when I could work, I said Mondays or Tuesdays were best for me, then she said "This Thursday then." She interrupted me, and snatched the form from me.

I regret giving her my number, but she can phone all she wants, I am not working there with a complete a***hole as a boss.

Anyway, so - shocked out of my mind - I went into a second one ( which I'd never planned to do ) and got the same crap there!!! She even had the cheek to say in a really patronising way "You do know you're not going to paid, right?" WTF

Don't these people REALISE that I was willing to give up MY time FOR FREE to work for them? Well they can go f*** themselves, that's what I say.

Have you ever found this? Any idea WHY these people are so uptight and rude?

I do already work in one and the manager is OK but that's only because I got a reference from someone I know who works there. I bet if I just turned up she'd be just as b*tchy. The only reason I wanted to apply to others is because I wanted to work closer to home, but stuff that.

:frown:

It sounds like they're just nasty people, but it's important not to just let it slide - charity shop managers actually get paid, so they deserve to be given a kick up the arse or fired, really, - if they're rude to potential workers and customers. If there's any way you can get in touch with people higher up, I'd get them in trouble. It isn't fair that there are brilliant customer service and charity workers out of work when ungrateful cows like that can get paid to be unkind (which defeats the point of charity work, does it not?)
The place I volunteer at is similar, except this elderly man who works there makes inappropriate comments about everyone. I guess the managers might be under a lot of stress..? maybe idek lol
When I was volunteering after university, I found that my manager was lovely: really approachable, willing to help, talking about her family to me. It was the staff I found rude, two people in particular. They would criticise the manager when she wasn't in. One man wouldn't talk to me at all (he was also looking for work after being made redundant from working at the job centre) and one lady (retired) would make negative comments about my university background (making displays for the shop and saying she didn't need to go to university to do this)

Latest

Trending

Trending