The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Yes uni's like Warwick and Manchester have some vacancies for AAA in clearing. Google some news articles and you'll get more info.
TI-84
Note, Manchester only has 50 places for clearing for all courses.
source

I'm hoping to be fine. :unsure:

I have AAA (would be A*AA) and I don't have to collect results or anything, so I have a headstart. :top:

Thanks for the link :yes:
Guys what are my chances for Computer Sc. with BBB...in the top 18 unis? I'm an international student, so how easier will things be?
Reply 23
jennikay
I'm hoping to be fine. :unsure:

I have AAA (would be A*AA) and I don't have to collect results or anything, so I have a headstart. :top:

Thanks for the link :yes:

saw your profile, you got into maths at Imperial - you should have no problem :smile:
jennikay
But maybe some unis have a 'stationary budget', from which they can buy both pens and paper. :sly:

Pfft, what is this 'stationary budget' you speak of? Seems like a rather lax system to me... :rolleyes:

Nah, I still reckon that there are two seperate budgets, otherwise why would it matter whether an employee was submitting a claims form for pens or paper? They could just submit one form and label it 'stationary', but no - they need to specify the exact item they need to be refunded for.
TI-84
saw your profile, you got into maths at Imperial - you should have no problem :smile:

I hope not :afraid: Manchester was my insurance last year anyway, loved the place :biggrin: shouldn't have gone to Imperial in the first place :dry:
Reply 26
jennikay
I hope not :afraid: Manchester was my insurance last year anyway, loved the place :biggrin: shouldn't have gone to Imperial in the first place :dry:

Yeah Manchester's pretty good, just finished my first year here and loved the experience. The math department (I'm assuming your doing maths again?) is quite good at the university, they've recently overhauled the entire system for mathematics to make the exams harder etc I mean I only had one module set by the maths dept, as an engineer, and the exam really was alot harder than past papers!
Well, the good thing about it is that you can experience freshers week as a fresher all over again :wink: I doubt the freshers week at a uni like Imperial can compare to Manchester's in any case :biggrin:
Reply 27
failingatm
Why dont you want to stay at your current uni OP?

Well, I'm at Warwick & to be honest, I've endured a pretty miserable time there, both socially and academically (although I had a 2:1 in 1st yr & 1sts for my completed assessed work in 2nd yr). It offers nothing in the way of social or cultural anything, it's mind-numbingly boring, and it's basically an exam factory - you tick the boxes, fit the mould, & not cause any extra "admin" work (most ppl I know have never been to see their personal tutor about anything, even by final yr, because it just isn't "done" & the attitude is "help yourself"). The student body reflects this ethos, & probably also that of the Business School. I feel that about 50% of unis in this country would probably be able to offer something more dynamic & exciting, in terms of course structure alone, since offerings aren't exactly "rich pickings" on my course & are far better elsewhere. I don't think I would've ever gone, had it not been for the fact that I didn't have a language A-Level & they didn't require one for me to study Spanish w/my degree, coupled with the fact that I really wanted to do my course (& still do... elsewhere).

I also had to take a year out because I became very ill at the end of my 2nd yr, & couldn't complete my exams. I made a good recovery, went to a foreign uni, came back to start again & I wasn't permitted to attend properly, even though they'd changed about 50% of the syllabi from last year. So I had to teach myself half of my second year at home from February time, from scratch, which was pretty awful, as when I'd asked my tutor about what I had do, he told me completely the wrong info & I ended up having to do it twice. Transferring was always at the back of my mind & I just thought this summer "sod it, I'm never going back there" so... I'm not, lol. Although yes, I do still have a place lol, I certainly haven't been chucked out.

But no, I will not go back there... someone can have my place!
jennikay

Don't say that :frown:

What about all the people you met? etc. :unsure:
TI-84
Yeah Manchester's pretty good, just finished my first year here and loved the experience. The math department (I'm assuming your doing maths again?) is quite good at the university, they've recently overhauled the entire system for mathematics to make the exams harder etc I mean I only had one module set by the maths dept, as an engineer, and the exam really was alot harder than past papers!
Well, the good thing about it is that you can experience freshers week as a fresher all over again :wink: I doubt the freshers week at a uni like Imperial can compare to Manchester's in any case :biggrin:

Yeah I have some friends there and the love it :h:

I'm going to do Comp Sci and Maths :h: I'm well looking forward to it.

Exams can't be any harder than Imperial's :no:

Yesssss fresher's again :jive: or in effect, my first REAL freshers :colonhash: I went out THREE times in my fresher's week. Ridiculous. :colonhash:
Reply 30
deathbeforeimmortality
Yes uni's like Warwick and Manchester have some vacancies for AAA in clearing. Google some news articles and you'll get more info.

Manchester?! I think all my Christmases would arrive at once if it does come up this yr!
+ polarity -
Don't say that :frown:

What about all the people you met? etc. :unsure:

I met nice people, and learnt a bit about myself, but at the end of the day I've wasted a year and about £16k. :colonhash: (I spend too much. :colonhash:)
jennikay
I met nice people, and learnt a bit about myself, but at the end of the day I've wasted a year and about £16k. :colonhash: (I spend too much. :colonhash:)

OMDZ!
Reply 33
jennikay

Yesssss fresher's again :jive: or in effect, my first REAL freshers :colonhash: I went out THREE times in my fresher's week. Ridiculous. :colonhash:

Nah they almost definitely won't be! Honestly, first year mathematics in Manchester isn't that challenging, friends I know have gotten 2.2's with minimal effort...
So basically you have a whole year to enjoy, before 2nd year :smile: And seriously three times during freshers is appalling! :p:
The city is almost perfect for night's out, more importantly the location of all the halls.
Anyways, Good luck with the rest of the process! I'm sure you'll get in :smile:
Reply 34
Theconomist
If you officially got expelled from your university I doubt any top 20+ uni would take you.

I haven't been expelled, lol, but what you say just isn't true (admittedly, subjects like business, economics & maths seem to have rather unforgiving admissions deps, but that's more to do with the 24-7 work culture surrounding such subjects & the huge amt. of studying/rote learning required of their students). I know of a fair few cases where people have been able to transfer/enter a new course at a decent uni - a guy I know was chucked out of Warwick for doing no work, & got straight into Kings afterwards. I mean, isn't that usually the reason behind most transfers anyway?! Tutors giving references should NOT detail why you're leaving uni - just your academic performance. And also, it's frankly unethical (in the workplace, illegal - correct me if I'm wrong) to write someone a deliberately bad reference.
Reply 35
jennikay

Did you transfer from Imperial this year? When did you submit your application?
fruitlooped
Manchester?! I think all my Christmases would arrive at once if it does come up this yr!

You want to go Manchester huh?

Maybe you should drop them an email or phone them up to double check. Or at least get the Independent on results day. :yep:
Reply 37
jennikay
I

I'm in almost the exact same situation as you :beer: , I changed form Economics to Law though so changed courses as well as Uni's, I was at Notts.

I can't wait for Manchester freshers week I grew up here so kinda been there done it etc but the buzz should be legendary! :eek3:
TheSownRose

They abstain on principle, from what I've heard. What principle, I don't know.

Oxbridge place high regard on interviews which means that Clearing is difficult for them if they cannot interview people. Instead they make up their places through systems of pooling (Cambridge) and open offers (Oxford) to take advantage of any spaces that they have available using people that originally applied and were interviewed.
Reply 39
no you will have to go to southbank university

Latest

Trending

Trending