The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

alex_hk90
Without any intelligent life, Physics would not have been thought of either. :fyi:

Ah no, but it would still exist :p:
And do you know you're the top poster on this thread? :eek:

Salavant
Cute though your conversation undoubtably is, you're both wrong. What is the language which Physics speaks, and what are economic models based on? Maths! So maths wins. :biggrin: :biggrin:

Don't ask if maths is independent of humanity though. That is an unhelpful question :P

I love Maths, Physics is just more interesting :smile:
Topaz_eyes
Ah no, but it would still exist :p:

Only in the way that we have defined it, but since there would be no life, there would be no definition to speak of. :p:

Topaz_eyes
And do you know you're the top poster on this thread? :eek:

Ah crap - this was clearly a trap to make that happen! :hmpf:
alex_hk90
Only in the way that we have defined it, but since there would be no life, there would be no definition to speak of. :p:

Ah crap - this was clearly a trap to make that happen! :hmpf:

No, just an interesting discussion :p: although tbf, itcouldbelupus was top for a while!

And this could change into the was maths discovered or invented conversation, which is always very circular :cookie:
Reply 583
I know a girl who did an entire 5000 word extended project on if maths was discovered or invented, and to my dismay she went for invented! I'm with you on the discovered front though.

(also, I shouldn't be in here, sorry chaps :p:)
Reply 584
Topaz_eyes
But don't make me quote all the PhysNatScis...

Physics sucks :sadnod:
My answer tends to be maths itself was discovered, but the tools we use to understand it were invented :cool:

Zygroth
Physics sucks :sadnod:

:frown: :eek:
Hmm, how about the way we understand it then?
No longer top poster :woo: it still is a current student though :p:
Reply 588
Topaz_eyes
Okay, lets say there's no life - Physics and its laws still exist, however Economics would never have been thought of.

So Physics DEFINITELY wins! :p:

Whether or not physics in the non-observed parts of the universe is the same as the physics of earth and near surroundings is, in my opinion, very interesting. For all we know, it could be completely different, no?
It could be lupus

It's a big relief, no? Being top poster isn't very nice XD.
Physics may not have existed if humans weren't around, no. You have to remember - Physics is comprised of ideas fit to explain recurring patterns of events. These ideas themselves are up for interpretation, let alone the fact that an alien would likely have developed different ideas to explain them.
What do you define as physics? How the universe itself really works, or just a means of understanding it?
It could be lupus

Although it's probably spammy posts like that which made you top poster in the first place... :p:

Kind of. But more like the way of thinking we use? It's hard to explain :o:

Azer
Whether or not physics in the non-observed parts of the universe is the same as the physics of earth and near surroundings is, in my opinion, very interesting. For all we know, it could be completely different, no?

Yes, but our understanding of the universe is based on the fact that the laws of physics apply everywhere... :yep:
So what we mean by the universe is the place where the laws of physics apply.
Hey guys, I got summer pooled into Homerton college and now need to amend my student finance details. I downloaded the change of circumstance form (CO1), but I don't know whether I need to fill in the 'change of course' or 'change of university/college' section.

Help!
I GOT ALL MY ACCOMODATION INFORMATION! :woo:

This is so exciting! Literally the fattest letter EVER :biggrin:

I also found out my DoS and Tutor, and what my email address will be! :eek4: (however I can't actually get the password yet until I'm actually up in Cambridge, or so the website it told me to go to says :nothing: )
Helloooo! :biggrin: First time I've popped onto TSR since yoinks, so I'm ridiculously late in finding this thread.

Economics at Emma. Still can't believe I'm going to Cambridge!

03jenniferp
Quotey quote.
Topaz_eyes
Although it's probably spammy posts like that which made you top poster in the first place... :p:

:shh: i'm tired :goodnight: (minus the goodnight :p: )
Brackets are awesome (or at least I think so!)
Hmm I get what you're saying... I'm just terrible at explaining what I think sometimes, sorry! :rolleyes:

Sockpirate
I GOT ALL MY ACCOMODATION INFORMATION! :woo:

This is so exciting! Literally the fattest letter EVER :biggrin:

I also found out my DoS and Tutor, and what my email address will be! :eek4: (however I can't actually get the password yet until I'm actually up in Cambridge, or so the website it told me to go to says :nothing: )

YAY! Is your computer fixed yet? :p:
I really want to know about my accommodation and parents...

And, for anyone who feels like getting excited over pointless things:
We're going to uni NEXT MONTH!! :woo: :woo:
Topaz_eyes

YAY! Is your computer fixed yet? :p:
I really want to know about my accommodation and parents...

And, for anyone who feels like getting excited over pointless things:
We're going to uni NEXT MONTH!! :woo: :woo:

Nope :sad:

and yeah, I haven't heard anything about freshers or my parents yet though - apparently we'll be getting a letter through from the JPC in the next week or so :teeth: I want my parents!
It was stuff about coming up, who my DoS and Tutor are, a looaddd of accomodation stuff, a few 'about Pembroke' booklets, stuff about computers, stuff about GPs and healthcare and an invitation to the Matriculation dinner :h:

Ahh I want my computer to be fixed :rant:
Sockpirate
Nope :sad:

and yeah, I haven't heard anything about freshers or my parents yet though - apparently we'll be getting a letter through from the JPC in the next week or so :teeth: I want my parents!
It was stuff about coming up, who my DoS and Tutor are, a looaddd of accomodation stuff, a few 'about Pembroke' booklets, stuff about computers, stuff about GPs and healthcare and an invitation to the Matriculation dinner :h:

Ahh I want my computer to be fixed :rant:

:sad:

So when are you moving in? It's all so exciting... but it feels like it's too soon and too far away at the same time :rolleyes:
Reply 599
I'm not enjoying the suspense Trinity are creating by sending all their information in small bursts.
I now have a Freshers' guide and some other general info about arriving at Trinity, as well as info on my DoS, supervisors and some exercises to complete before I go.
But I still don't know anything about accommodation.
And I want an @cam e-mail!
And on loads of the letters they just say 'check your pigeonhole when you get here'. I want to know now! :erm:
Still... it's only 30 full days until we go :nutcase:

Latest

Trending

Trending