The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

IKnowSoMuch!!
Heres a query: I always like to have a good few drinks before going out, to get in the mood, have a bit of a chat, listen to some music etc. I was thinking of maybe bringing up 3/4 bottles of wine and a couple of litres of spirits (say 1 litre rum and 1 litre vodka) to keep in my room for the first few nights of frshers so I can be like "yeah we can have some drinks in my room before we go out" or something. Is this a stupid idea?

You might as well bring them - if you don't use them during Freshers you'll use them at some point in term anyway.
It could be lupus
Ah ok. Overuse then. Normally not using it works along with my suggestions before. A few days and it should be fine :h: How did the party go?

Ahaha kinda cute. And thats saying a lot that I said that :p:

Yeah, really well thanks! Just putting the photos on facey-b at the moment :biggrin: should be up and publoshed in about 10 minutes I think :h:

and I KNOW RIGHT?! She's adooorrabbleeeee :love: don't deny that cats are awesome :hmmm:

I'll get a photo of her non-asleep tomorrow, because you can't really see her face there :smile:
Sockpirate
Yeah, really well thanks! Just putting the photos on facey-b at the moment :biggrin: should be up and published in about 10 minutes I think :h:

and I KNOW RIGHT?! She's adooorrabbleeeee :love: don't deny that cats are awesome :hmmm:

I'll get a photo of her non-asleep tomorrow, because you can't really see her face there :smile:

Ah thats good. Sounds like you had a really good weekend :biggrin: did you get your new laptop fixed internet wise for skypage at some stage? Also any plans for your actual birthday?

Hmm kittens are nice to look at. Cats not so much :p: Shall we agree to disagree? :lol: And ok with the picture :smile:

EDIT: just seen the pics appear on fb. Looks like a lot of cupcakes!
Yup, she's so cuteee :h:

It could be lupus
Ah thats good. Sounds like you had a really good weekend :biggrin: did you get your new laptop fixed internet wise for skypage at some stage? Also any plans for your actual birthday?

Hmm kittens are nice to look at. Cats not so much :p: Shall we agree to disagree? :lol: And ok with the picture :smile:

EDIT: just seen the pics appear on fb. Looks like a lot of cupcakes!

Good, but so, so SO tiring!

and nope, still not up and running - the computer guy hasn't come yet :sigh: I think I'm just going to have to get my old laptop out again, because I haven't been able to go on for like a week now, and I missed being able to tell everyone about Reading, ****z about my accomodation and freshers info etc. etc. :sad:

Plans for my actual birthday? Well family meal thing on the actual day, then of course my first night out! However that'll be Thursday, because Thurs is student night in Winchester :smile: (would go into Southampton, but student night is, inconveniently, on a tuesday night :pinch:). Other than that though, not much! Opening presents etc. which is always fun! Although I did open a couple already from my party on sun - my aunt + uncle got my bike all re-fitted, so IT ACTUALLY WORKS! It also now has a rack and a detachable basket :biggrin:

ALSO I GOT A FILOFAX. That is one of the things I'm most excitied about actually. I've ALWAYS wanted one!

and yup, lots and lots of cupcakes. 65 I think :top: they were delicious! (but took an aaaage to decorate)
Sockpirate
Good, but so, so SO tiring!

I can guarantee you I am more tired. :yep:

Sockpirate
and nope, still not up and running - the computer guy hasn't come yet :sigh: I think I'm just going to have to get my old laptop out again, because I haven't been able to go on for like a week now, and I missed being able to tell everyone about Reading, spazz about my accomodation and freshers info etc. etc. :sad:

Ah bad times :sad: get your old laptop out then and go on skype! Maybe even tonight? :p: I still haven't heard all about Reading!

Sockpirate
Plans for my actual birthday? Well family meal thing on the actual day, then of course my first night out! However that'll be Thursday, because Thurs is student night in Winchester :smile: (would go into Southampton, but student night is, inconveniently, on a tuesday night :pinch:). Other than that though, not much! Opening presents etc. which is always fun! Although I did open a couple already from my party on sun - my aunt + uncle got my bike all re-fitted, so IT ACTUALLY WORKS! It also now has a rack and a detachable basket :biggrin:

Oh family meal sounds good. Have you a load of friends going out that thursday with you? First time out to a club! :awesome: Also getting the bike fixed for Cambridge? Oh presents! :awesome: I love presents! Pity I'm not going to be home this year to get any :sad:

Sockpirate
ALSO I GOT A FILOFAX. That is one of the things I'm most excitied about actually. I've ALWAYS wanted one!

Is it bad I had to google 'filofax'. Sounds cool though :p: If thats what gets you excited... :lol:

Sockpirate
and yup, lots and lots of cupcakes. 65 I think :top: they were delicious! (but took an aaaage to decorate)

Wow! :eek: I want cupcakes now :sad:
Sockpirate
Yup, she's so cuteee :h:

Your cat is so cuuteee! :biggrin:
Who's considering joining Fenner's? Can any current students maybe shed some light on the facilities there and whether they're any good... :smile:
Sockpirate
Well I had my birthday party on saturday eve, woke up in the morn and it was really hoarse, but then I had a big family + family friends lunch thing that day, so had to talk all day, then after THAT, I had to go to someone's 90th birthday party, so had to talk all through that as well :o:

So basically, a party and non-stop talking on a sore throat for a whole day :top:

Now I physically can't talk any louder than a whisper, and it hurts to swallow :sad:

BUT I NOW HAVE A NEW KITTEN! AHHHHHHHHHHHH

Okay Izzy your kitten is FAR TOO CUTE!
Remember you're bringing her to Cambridge and we get free strokes?
I think she should be TSRUBS mascot!!
Reply 788
i.am.lost
Who's considering joining Fenner's? Can any current students maybe shed some light on the facilities there and whether they're any good... :smile:

Fenners? Been here three years and never heard of it :|
SunderX
Fenners? Been here three years and never heard of it :|

Fenner's gym, it's behind Kelsey Kerridge (so literally miles away from Churchill). I've only heard good things about it. :smile:
Reply 790
alex_hk90
Fenner's gym, it's behind Kelsey Kerridge (so literally miles away from Churchill). I've only heard good things about it. :smile:

Hmm, I'd always thought the college gym was sufficient, indeed, for most sports-related activities. Didn't really get why people were petitioning for the University Sports Centre so badly when funds could probably have done better elsewhere.
Topaz_eyes

I think she should be TSRUBS mascot!!

I agree :yep:
Reply 792
i.am.lost
:woo: yay another bio natsci at Clare! Did you get that email yesterday which said 'we now want to hear from you what you're preliminary choices are...'? Are we meant to reply by email or like wait for something to come through in the post first? :confused:

Oh and did you get an email from your college mum/dad? Mine sounds really nice and friendly! I really wish Clare would hurry up and send us info packs though...

Yup! :smile: A few of us around! I got the email and am considering the same question! have you found out yet? I was going to reply to the email asking if they wanted the choices there or somewhere else. - It says something about 'more information to follow' could mean post... could not?! who knows?! haha

My College Dad got in contact with me a week or so ago on facebook and gave me the names of my Mum an brother - so I found them too! - Got a letter through from my Mum today too! They all seem lovely! :smile:

I got a letter with quite a lot of general info last week, apparently more specific details about accom etc will be coming in the next week or so. Have you heard anything yet? - I found out quite a lot online too - making my way through reading millions of pages! haha

Are you doing any of the recommended reading?
Sockpirate
:emog:

I thought I'd seen her before! She looks just like the cat on the Pembroke cardboard wallet thing!

You should bring her with you and let them be friends. :biggrin:
Lizzie :)
Yup! :smile: A few of us around! I got the email and am considering the same question! have you found out yet? I was going to reply to the email asking if they wanted the choices there or somewhere else. - It says something about 'more information to follow' could mean post... could not?! who knows?! haha

My College Dad got in contact with me a week or so ago on facebook and gave me the names of my Mum an brother - so I found them too! - Got a letter through from my Mum today too! They all seem lovely! :smile:

I got a letter with quite a lot of general info last week, apparently more specific details about accom etc will be coming in the next week or so. Have you heard anything yet? - I found out quite a lot online too - making my way through reading millions of pages! haha

Are you doing any of the recommended reading?

I think I'm going to wait for the info pack (still hasn't arrived yet...) and maybe there will be a form to write our choices on. I don't want to seem stupid by replying to that email if that's not what they intended for us to do... It was so damn ambiguous! :p:

Yeah I've trawled the Clare/Cam websites extensively too :biggrin: by the way there's also a few FB groups including one 'official' Clare Freshers' group with the schedule of events if you haven't come across it.

As for preparatory reading, the short answer is no :cool: I got hold of only one of the books (Alberts' Molecular Biology of the Cell) but it's 2000 pages long :eek3: and I really can't be bothered so I just flipped through a few pages and gave up hehehe. What about you?

Which modules are you considering by the way? I'm pretty set on the three biology modules (Cells, Evolution, Physiology) and Mathematical Biology.
Reply 795
i.am.lost
I think I'm going to wait for the info pack (still hasn't arrived yet...) and maybe there will be a form to write our choices on. I don't want to seem stupid by replying to that email if that's not what they intended for us to do... It was so damn ambiguous! :p:

Yeah I've trawled the Clare/Cam websites extensively too :biggrin: by the way there's also a few FB groups including one 'official' Clare Freshers' group with the schedule of events if you haven't come across it.

As for preparatory reading, the short answer is no :cool: I got hold of only one of the books (Alberts' Molecular Biology of the Cell) but it's 2000 pages long :eek3: and I really can't be bothered so I just flipped through a few pages and gave up hehehe. What about you?

Which modules are you considering by the way? I'm pretty set on the three biology modules (Cells, Evolution, Physiology) and Mathematical Biology.

To be honest I don't think anyone really does much preparatory reading for any of the courses - think of international students (like me) who can't even get hold of the bloody book!

Got an email from the lab with something to do with prep reading, but they aren't papers/syllabi/notes I can easily find online I'm going to spend the time chilling before the firestorm starts.
Reply 796
Economics reading list ..has anybody made a start? I'm not sure what stuff will be of most use to read now? Plus my local library is rubbish and I don't want to buy loads of books that I might just be able to borrow from the library once at cambridge.
jess_s14
Economics reading list ..has anybody made a start? I'm not sure what stuff will be of most use to read now? Plus my local library is rubbish and I don't want to buy loads of books that I might just be able to borrow from the library once at cambridge.

Don't waste your time on that reading list, use my condensed one. :h:
And don't buy any books until you get there and know which ones are worth buying.
alex_hk90
And don't buy any books until you get there and know which ones are worth buying.

How did I know you were going to say that :p: I almost replied saying "waits for Alex to say about not to bother and to use his own list" :p: :lol:
alex_hk90

Somehow -I get the feeling - if one just goes through Alex's recommended books well - will end up at the minimum 2.1 in year 1..:yep: Am I right?

Latest

Trending

Trending