The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Sarawrr
Mostly, however, in independent schools. I've heard that state schools aren't supposed to predict anyone an A* grade. I think that takes the pressure off somewhat.

My state school predicted me an A* :s
Reply 21
becomingbindy
My state school predicted me an A* :s

Well, there's a chance they either do anyway or that was just a rumour. Or maybe it was a decision taken at my school. Did you acheive it or feel like it was unecessary pressure?
A* is the equivelant of an A from the 70s/80s basically.

Not in % of marks but in % of people getting the grade anyway.

In the 70/80s about 10% got an A grade at most and now it's 27% so unis can't differentiate between candidates. A* is coming back in as the top grade to help.
Reply 23
Sarawrr
Mostly, however, in independent schools. I've heard that state schools aren't supposed to predict anyone an A* grade. I think that takes the pressure off somewhat.

On results day people in my FM class were disappointed with high A grades because they wanted A*s and some kids even stayed at home cus they knew they had no chance of an A*

A = failure ( in our class, but there is a lot of banter)
Blueflare

But actually it doesn't work like that. A* was basically invented to distinguish between A grade students; the best and the very best.

'Tis a shame they introduced it only just though as it would have been nice to have an A* at A Level as opposed to just an A lol :p:

To be honest though, I think the only point is to boost the egos of certain people because at the end of the day an A is an A, why do you need a star next to it other than to make yourself feel good/better?
Reply 25
JONNYCMW
On results day people in my FM class were disappointed with high A grades because they wanted A*s and some kids even stayed at home cus they knew they had no chance of an A*

A = failure ( in our class, but there is a lot of banter)

It is a bit ridiculous, but people are going to have to accept that you need to do exceptionally well to get one. Most universities aren't asking for one so for most people, there's not much point in aiming for it.

I didn't aim for it and I got one. I was just happy to get into my choice of uni - I needed BBB. I wish people would start seeing that getting a place on the course that you want is a great achievement and that they should celebrate that, not mope over the fact that they've got the top grade but there's no asterisk next to it.
Reply 26
Sarawrr
It is a bit ridiculous, but people are going to have to accept that you need to do exceptionally well to get one. Most universities aren't asking for one so for most people, there's not much point in aiming for it.

I didn't aim for it and I got one. I was just happy to get into my choice of uni - I needed BBB. I wish people would start seeing that getting a place on the course that you want is a great achievement and that they should celebrate that, not mope over the fact that they've got the top grade but there's no asterisk next to it.

The A* encourages the competitive among us to work even harder - even if it is much more than the offer given. I think this is good for some .
Reply 27
JONNYCMW
The A* encourages the competitive among us to work even harder - even if it is much more than the offer given. I think this is good for some .

I agree with encouraging harder work, but it does seem that people need to get everything into perspective if they haven't managed to achieve it.
I swear loads of people got A* this year.
Reply 29
Quail
A lot of people this year, when they asked what my results were, and I told them (3 A*s 1 A) said "Wow, well done! ... *sympathetic voice* What was the A in?", and it's really starting to get on my nerves now, because they're saying it like an A isn't good anymore.

And when super-intelligent people I know opened their results sheets to all As, and some of their teachers said 'Nice work, but no A*s?'

A is still a really good grade, and people shouldn't be disappointed with not getting an A*. I do kind of get what the OP means, whereas before people were over the moon with getting the best possible grades if they got all As, it now has to be all A*s before anyone seems as impressed, which is a massive shame.

The links in your signature don't work.
Reply 30
yes. Before results day I was expecting AAB but ended up with A*A*A at first i was happy but then the A started to bother me as it is my favourite subject. A* is the top grade some people will always be dissapointed if they dont get the top grade.
Reply 31
A* is not the new A. It is an extension of the A grade.
Not particularly. An A* now is essentially the equivalent of an A in the 1970s/1980s in terms of percentages, but that doesn't mean that an A now = a B then. So many factors apply to how well we do that it can never just be a straight comparison. And even if it was, just to give you an idea, you could still study at some of the top insitutions with B's. Even 10 years ago, the entry requirements for Oxbridge were AAB for a lot of subjects.

Clements-
I swear loads of people got A* this year.

8.6% Was the quoted figure, which brings it in line in terms of percentages (if slightly lower) with an A from the 1970s/80's. It just seems like there are way more because TSR is full of brainboxes.

I hate the A*. I agree, we needed a way of differentiating the top students, but only really counting achievement in your second year is a bad idea. They were headed in the right direction with the AEA, but sadly that got scrapped rather than incorporated as a full part of the curriculum. Now it's purely a numbers game, and that's going to punish a lot of students. I would argue that most of the time, those who get A*s and those who get As are roughly as capable as each other. If that's the case, it hasn't really done its job, and needs to be re-evaluated before it really does become the new A.
TwilightKnight
Not particularly. An A* now is essentially the equivalent of an A in the 1970s/1980s in terms of percentages, but that doesn't mean that an A now = a B then. So many factors apply to how well we do that it can never just be a straight comparison. And even if it was, just to give you an idea, you could still study at some of the top insitutions with B's. Even 10 years ago, the entry requirements for Oxbridge were AAB for a lot of subjects.

8.6% Was the quoted figure, which brings it in line in terms of percentages (if slightly lower) with an A from the 1970s/80's. It just seems like there are way more because TSR is full of brainboxes.

I hate the A*. I agree, we needed a way of differentiating the top students, but only really counting achievement in your second year is a bad idea. They were headed in the right direction with the AEA, but sadly that got scrapped rather than incorporated as a full part of the curriculum. Now it's purely a numbers game, and that's going to punish a lot of students. I would argue that most of the time, those who get A*s and those who get As are roughly as capable as each other. If that's the case, it hasn't really done its job, and needs to be re-evaluated before it really does become the new A.

AEAs were way better cos the exams were actually difficult so you actually had to be really good at the subject to do well, whereas an A* is just a higher percentage on otherwise relatively easy exams.
TwilightKnight

only really counting achievement in your second year is a bad idea.

If they'd counted overall UMS, I'd have A*A*AA. As it is, I narrowly missed both the A*s... in physics I got 89.67% in the A2 modules, which is really frustrating! I got into my firm, though, so it doesn't matter that much.
Ellastar
The links in your signature don't work.

I know, deleted the Tumblr and the blog, just haven't got round to deleting them from my sig yet... I do have a new Tumblr but it's rubbish and doesn't deserve a place in my sig, haha
Reply 36
When A grades were awarded at a fixed percentage, they were awarded in around 9% of A levels. The A*s have been awarded to about 8.5% of A levels this year. You could say that the A* is similar to the old A grade.
No.... A is still A, high A = A*
Reply 38
kylesawhney
No.

really?
thanks
what's the main thing they want...
is it a really good personal statement..?etc
what kind of questions are asked at the interviews and what should the personal statement include.

Thinking of economics and management...

thnkiew
Reply 39
Quail
A lot of people this year, when they asked what my results were, and I told them (3 A*s 1 A) said "Wow, well done! ... *sympathetic voice* What was the A in?", and it's really starting to get on my nerves now, because they're saying it like an A isn't good anymore.

And when super-intelligent people I know opened their results sheets to all As, and some of their teachers said 'Nice work, but no A*s?'

A is still a really good grade, and people shouldn't be disappointed with not getting an A*. I do kind of get what the OP means, whereas before people were over the moon with getting the best possible grades if they got all As, it now has to be all A*s before anyone seems as impressed, which is a massive shame.

This! I completely agree with what you just said. I appreciate that A*s are pretty awesome, and I was really pleased for everyone who got them, they look so impressive! It's just that they seem to have completely devalued the usual A grades, and I think it's a little bit misleading as it only really reflects A2 performance.

I got 5.5As, which I was pretty pleased with (although I was a little disappointed with not getting the A*s I wanted - I kinda screwed up in a couple of my June modules). I'm the only one from my college who got into Oxford (the two with Cambridge offers missed out by a whisker :frown:!) but my results weren't the most sparkly, and the reaction I got from a couple of people almost implied that I had underperformed massively :erm:. It's just a little bit irritating that that wouldn't have been the case last year *sigh*.

Anyway, rant over - I'm definitely happy about my results haha, I'd be a bit of an idiot if I thought I'd done BADLY, I just think it seems weird how an A can now seem to mean 'oh dear!' :rolleyes:.

EDIT: Oh and,

victoriacatherine
If they'd counted overall UMS, I'd have A*A*AA. As it is, I narrowly missed both the A*s... in physics I got 89.67% in the A2 modules, which is really frustrating! I got into my firm, though, so it doesn't matter that much.

yeah this is what happened to me too :p: - I think the A* would be fairer if it did reward overall performance, as it seems to favour high performance in the second year over consistently good performance overall.

Latest