The Student Room Group

Upgrading Automatic License to Manual Issue Date.

Hi this is a question for anyone that has upgraded their license from automatic to manual. I want to know if the back of the license date changed when you got your new license. I know the date at the front changes but what about the date on the back. Thanks.
Reply 1
I don’t have a direct answer for you but does your old license have a B-auto category? I would guess this will change to B and get a newer date for that category.

I have a standard license but had to take B+E (3500kg vehicle with 3500kg trailer) as an additional test a few years later and that shows a newer date (when I passed) than the rest of my categories.
Original post by virgil1
I don’t have a direct answer for you but does your old license have a B-auto category? I would guess this will change to B and get a newer date for that category.

I have a standard license but had to take B+E (3500kg vehicle with 3500kg trailer) as an additional test a few years later and that shows a newer date (when I passed) than the rest of my categories.

On my license it shows just 'B' not 'B-Auto' but for automatic licences there's a code '78' on the B category in column 12 which means it's restricted to only automatic vehicles.

I'm hoping it won't change because then it'll mean I'm a new driver and if I was to sign up to car hire or temporary insurance websites they'd want at least two years on your license.
Reply 3
Original post by Fdjhhhj
On my license it shows just 'B' not 'B-Auto' but for automatic licences there's a code '78' on the B category in column 12 which means it's restricted to only automatic vehicles.

I'm hoping it won't change because then it'll mean I'm a new driver and if I was to sign up to car hire or temporary insurance websites they'd want at least two years on your license.

It doesn't change.
Original post by IWMTom
It doesn't change.

Have you upgraded from auto to manual? I'm only asking as I want to be 100% sure before I make a change.
Reply 5
Original post by Fdjhhhj
Have you upgraded from auto to manual? I'm only asking as I want to be 100% sure before I make a change.

No, but I've got an awful lot of knowledge.
Reply 6
I’m also considering an upgrade of my license. It’s very important to learn what happens to the date of issue from someone who has done it and not one with a lot of knowledge. I drove a manual car for 25 years before I came to the UK and trained with an Auto. Now I seem stuck with it.
Reply 7
Hi Ndubisi,I'm in same situation, I would like to upgrade my auto license to manual. Did you change yours? If so, did they put new date?Thank you in advance
Reply 8
I just passed my test to upgrade from automatic to manual. My new licence card has this week as the "valid from" date in column 10.

Very disappointing.

It's really stupid that rental car and insurance companies don't consider my earlier foreign licence.
(edited 12 months ago)
Reply 9
Original post by mikelward
I just passed my test to upgrade from automatic to manual. My new licence card has this week as the "valid from" date in column 10.

Very disappointing.

It's really stupid that rental car and insurance companies don't consider my earlier foreign licence.

I'm sorry to hear that.
Did you have a UK automatic license before the upgrade?
Reply 10
Original post by KhaHak
I'm sorry to hear that.
Did you have a UK automatic license before the upgrade?

Yes.
Reply 11
I’ve booked my test to upgrade in December is it hard after passing?
Original post by username5581904
Hi this is a question for anyone that has upgraded their license from automatic to manual. I want to know if the back of the license date changed when you got your new license. I know the date at the front changes but what about the date on the back. Thanks.

Did you get the answer?
I have automatic and booked manual for January 2024.
Please share your experience

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending