The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I will be doing mechanical engineering and seeing as you don't do physics take the one with a foundation year you will need it. Sheffield was one of my choices and has a great engineering department and much better links than Hull.
Reply 41
x01
I will be doing mechanical engineering and seeing as you don't do physics take the one with a foundation year you will need it. Sheffield was one of my choices and has a great engineering department and much better links than Hull.

oh ok, and this is actually one of the most important thing.
i think im going for sheffield as the department is better.
Reply 42
Hull, they got a good football team (Y)

But if in terms of you're academic future i'd say Sheffield

But it's a tough choice...
Reply 43
Vanny17
Applying for a 'nicer city and university' is well... stupid. One goes to a Unieversity to learn and acquire a degree not for how nice it is. There are cases of people graduating from higher ranked Universities like Cambridge with no job prospects. :yep: To conclude, to each their own i guess. A University choice is rather subjective becasue there are other factors like the way their lectures are taught etc

No it's not. The OP is going to be living and working in the city and university for three or four years, you want to be somewhere where you enjoy spending your free time, in fact this is a HUGE consideration. And in terms of your suggestion that 'one goes to university to learn and acquire a degree', well you've kind of misfired as all logical reason suggests the OP is more likely to gain a quality degree and learn more by attending Sheffield.

There are more cases of people graduating from Hull with no prospects than Cambridge and indeed Sheffield.

You are correct in saying that a uni choice is individual and subjective, I just feel that in this case that the OP would be mad to choose Hull over Sheffield.
razz24
Sheffield, no doubt about it.

I was kind of in a similar situation, I got offers from both Southampton and Easy Anglia. The difference was that Southampton, being the more prestigious univeristy offered me a 4 year course including foundation, while East Anglia was a 3 year course. I'm also international so the fees are enormous, it was a difficult decision but I ended up choosing Southampton because it's a better university and is part of the Russell group which means it has a lot to offer any science major. Sheffield is also in the Russell group.

Easy indeed.

Latest

Trending

Trending