The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Cheeky_chappie2
Good god it's expensive for an 18 year old bloke to get car insurance... I can't get much below 2 grand!!! :eek:

Has anyone got a tip for where or how a new driver might get cheaper insurance? :confused:

what car u got?
what car, what modifications, whay extras, and what insurance comapny. try places like the co-op and also places like tesco the AA and even local insurance companies you can get some great deals... i think i heard boots offer motor insurance now, not sure how good they are but they will probably do good deals. but it is all down to the car and waht the car has got on it!
Reply 3
daniel_williams
what car, what modifications, whay extras, and what insurance comapny. try places like the co-op and also places like tesco the AA and even local insurance companies you can get some great deals... i think i heard boots offer motor insurance now, not sure how good they are but they will probably do good deals. but it is all down to the car and waht the car has got on it!

2 grand for an 18 year old im guessing that would be like a brand new corsa or fiesta probly 1.2 or 1.4

anything more than that and you wouldnt get insurance.

so wat car have you got?!!?!
A brand new corsa????!!!!! I wish! Try a 10 year old peugeot 106. It's crazy i tell you.
Reply 5
It can depend on your postcode too. If you are from BoyRacerCentral / JoyrideCentral you can end up with a higher quote.
Reply 6
Cheeky_chappie2
A brand new corsa????!!!!! I wish! Try a 10 year old peugeot 106. It's crazy i tell you.

yeh ur quotes are crazy.

u shud get 1 for under a grand for that **** heap.

i got a 6yr old corsa insurance is 600. im 19.
Reply 7
tesco
sainsburys
liverpool victoria
norwich union direct
direct line

try giving all of those a call and consider being a named driver and having your parents on as the main driver on the policy for a while if its that pricey.
Reply 8
If you drive the car more than your parents yet you're down as a 2nd driver then that is insurance fraud.

To be honest, you're 18. Its going to be expensive whatever you do. Area in which you live also makes a bit of a difference.

Thought about doing pass plus? Also those quotes- are they fully comp or TPFT?
Reply 9
I used to own a 1996 Peugeot 106 and my insurance for the first year of driving was about £800. That was for TPFT in a Nottingham postcode and included legal cover and a courtesy car. I had also taken Pass Plus which halved my premium. I was with Norwich Union however Asda (which is underwritten by NU) would also be worth a try.
Reply 10
Bloody insurance.
Reply 11
LibertineNorth
Bloody insurance.

excellent contribution.
Reply 12
www.confused.com - it's a comparison service that gives you loads of quotes from different companies. I always go there first when I'm looking for insurance.
Reply 13
i got a 1999 fiesta and to put me on insurance on my own is about £1,500.
but then again i can go on my mam's car insurance for £80 extra a year and her car has a sports gearbox so it jus don't make sense.
Echo Catryn - it is bizarre! I was driven into, so my car was off the road...I needed to get to places in the middle of nowhere like school, so Mum put me on hers which worked out an at extra £150 - for a whacking great 4x4!

I have a £525 twelve month quote on a V reg Peugeot 106, that's with Norwich Union (They did quote me happy!), then again it is in a rural area which has relatively little...Well, anything!

I'd definitely shop around, I was getting quotes of £1255, £2000, £800 when i went on NU, just popped up with £525. I was :eek: and obviously took it straightaway!
Reply 15
Cheeky_chappie2
Good god it's expensive for an 18 year old bloke to get car insurance... I can't get much below 2 grand!!! :eek:

Has anyone got a tip for where or how a new driver might get cheaper insurance? :confused:

I would advice that you take a "pass plus scheme".. it only costs about £150 but can take your insurance down about 40%...
Companies like norwich union support it and I have insurance with them.. they are really good with the pass plus
Adrian flux are good for cheap insurance for young lads. my partner is 21 nad has a 2 litre modded focus and we live in london adn he pays under 2 grand a year.
Reply 17
sm0273
excellent contribution.

I was going to start a rant about how I disagree with insurance with reference to morality, politics and personal economics. Perhaps even mention that you can get around insuring your car, but it'd actually make you worse off in the end. Or maybe how insurance companies behave unethically. I believe my first post summed it up better though :biggrin:
Reply 18
Ynox
If you drive the car more than your parents yet you're down as a 2nd driver then that is insurance fraud.

To be honest, you're 18. Its going to be expensive whatever you do. Area in which you live also makes a bit of a difference.

Thought about doing pass plus? Also those quotes- are they fully comp or TPFT?

from what I've seen on some insurance policies you can specify who drives the car most and thats different than the named driver.
Reply 19
viviki- still best off getting your own insurance policy though. Sooner you start acquiring NCB then the sooner your insurance will go down.

Latest

Trending

Trending