The Student Room Group

Thinking of doing PPE...Please advise

Hey, I just received the following As results

Maths - A
Economics - A
ICT - A
Classics - A
Lit - B

I've been thinking of applying to the following universities for the corresponding degrees:-

Oxford - PPE
LSE - Philosophy and Economics
Queen Mary (London) - Economics and Politics
UCL - Philosophy and Economics
Durham - PPE
Warwick - PPE
Manchester - PPE

Unfortunately, I now have a problem with my personal statement, since talking about politics in it will have me at a disadvantage with LSE and UCL. Similarly, I can't discuss Philosophy with Queen Mary.

Any advice?:smile:
Reply 1
politics and philosophy at LSE?
what are your gcse's like?
Reply 3
Got 10 A's and 2 B's at GCSE. All my results, even the As results are very high, the majority of the marks in the 90's. Was just wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem or had any advice about catering my personal statement so that it's appropriate for all these universities?
Reply 4
I had a similar problem, applying to PPE, Gov&Ec and Pol&Ec at Oxford, LSE and Edinburgh respectively. I just talked about all three and hoped they'd understand what was going on and not blame me for it. Worked out fine.
Reply 5
Did you get all three offers?
Reply 6
ManjaG
Did you get all three offers?

No, but that had to do with other stuff. I do know people who have also gotten into Oxford for PPE and did something similar who did get offers for those other courses.
Reply 7
Thank you.

DOes anyone else have anything to add? Thanks
Reply 8
Similar problem here.

Just found out UCL used to offer PPE (at least I don't think it does anymore). Annoying or what!?

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/cpjh/MAprogramme
ManjaG

Unfortunately, I now have a problem with my personal statement, since talking about politics in it will have me at a disadvantage with LSE and UCL. Similarly, I can't discuss Philosophy with Queen Mary.

It won't disadvantage you as there is philosophy in politics and vice versa and both philosophy and politics are intertwined with economics.
Reply 10
Yes, but should I or should I not mention all three separately by name?
Reply 11
ManjaG
Yes, but should I or should I not mention all three separately by name?

There's really no way to talk around it. If you don't mention them by name, your PS wil be extremely vague and none of your unis will like it. What you might want to avoid are phrases like '... and that's why I want to study Politics and Philosophy', because there'll be unis you cut out. So just talk about your interest in all three without being clear on the exact course.

Latest

Trending

Trending