The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I think you pretty much have a shot at any of those places with your grades, provided your personal statement is good. For Oxford, I believe you now have to sit a test before being invited for interview. I think they use it shortlist candidates so you'd be well advised to score highly on that.

I'm currently a PPEist at York. Entry requirements were AAB for when I applied but think they've been upped to AAA as of last year. I'd imagine that would be the same for your other choices, save Oxford.

Good luck! It's a great course esp. if you have background in econ.
Your grades are okay for Oxford PPE, they're not great as far as applying there goes but you should get an interview if you do well on TSA/ your application looks good. If you got in you would be in the bottom 20% or so of GCSEs grades, maybe even lower.

Your choices are actually remarkably sensible so well done! From knowing a lot of PPEists you probably won't get into Durham or Oxford with those grades and I didn't apply anywhere worse than Durham/ know anyone doing PPE at anywhere worse than Durham so can't comment on York or St Andrews, but I'd be absolutely shocked if you didn't get into Manchester.

If you want to make your application stronger do maths to A2, maybe taking 4 subjects but if not drop English literature as long as RS isn't blacklisted (I can't remember if it is or not). When I was about to enter year 12 a few years ago I remember reading that they don't think English literature is good preparation for PPE and specifically said on the site that they don't want essays on literature to be submitted as exemplar work.

I would also suggest maybe not including information about missing half of year 11 due to panic attacks because if that happens in Oxbridge you'll fail and while they're meant to take into account factors like this and not discriminate if they don't think you'll pass the course because of an illness or disability then they won't take you and rightly so. If you however had no panic attacks in year 12 and think you're over them completely maybe include the information because it should justify your GCSEs (which probably don't need justification anyway! They're really good just PPEists get amazing grades), but if you're still suffering from them and missing school don't tell them about it.
Reply 3
I got rejected for ppe at oxford warwick York and LSE with similar grades (see sig)

Just dont be suprised if you get your fingers burnt, ppe is very competitive
Reply 4
That all looks pretty good.

As far as I know, however, St Andrews don't teach Politics, only International Relations (which it's very good for).

You stand some chance of getting into Oxford (i.e. enough for it to be worth applying), and a fair chance of getting into Durham and York (with a good personal statement). Exeter and Manchester you stand a very good chance of getting into. St. Andrews I'm not so sure about.

How much do you like Maths?

Latest

Trending

Trending