The Student Room Group
Reply 1
You will need Chemistry and one other science taken up to A2. Biology is usually preferable. Chemistry is a MUST. History is more well respected than psychology. English Lit would help with communication skills, which is something you could write about on your personal statement.
Reply 2
CyberKinsiBBx
I just got my results for GCSE and i am confussed at which subjects would be more preferred for medicine.

My original a level chose before my results came was chemistry, biology, history and psycology but now i'm thinking of taking english lit. Can advise me on which one to drop or which one would be preferred ( i already know that chemistry and biology are a must have)

Im taking the same A Levels as you, i also want to study medicine...these choices are fine. If you want to drop a subject at A2 i suggest you should drop History unless you really enjoy it (Like me xD) and dont mind the workload, find it managable etc
Reply 3
take maths!!! maths screws history, psychology, and english lit in the medicine world. seriously. they really like maths next to chemistry and biology.
So long as you take biology and chemistry, it's all good :smile: the other two can be whatever you want. UCL prefers your 3rd A2 subject to be a contrasting subject (non-science) and some colleges at Cambridge like you to have 3 sciences at A2.
i would suggest maths, highly regarded subject. chemistry of course, and biology

Latest