The Student Room Group

Advice Please for Chemical Engineering

Hi guys. I want to apply to do Chemical Engineering at university (beginning 2011). I would love to hear from people who are doing Chem. Eng. via Natsci at Cambridge ( hopefully Christs College) about what the course is like and how difficult it was to get in. What did you write in your personal statement? What were they looking for at interview? Obviously I understand that no-one can tell me exactly what they ask, but what should I be prepared for?

My other choices are chem eng at Imperial, UCL, Bath, and Manchester (or birmingham- that last one is undecided).

Toodles
Reply 1
Hey!
Well I applied for Chem.Eng last year and got offers from Imperial, UCL, Birmingham and Manchester, with Imperial being my first choice. However I didn't make my Imperial offer,so I'm re-applying again this year. I have a friend in 2nd year at Imperial, and one in 1st year at Cambridge. Apparently it's LOADS of work, so you have to be determined. But then if you're into it and hardworking it's not bad they said.
As for personal statement, they look for genuine enthusiasm for Chemical Engineering. You need to have a good reason why you want to do it. Mention any relevant work experience or anything other than school that would make you a better Chemical engineering student. If you've done like a taster course, you should mention that. Things like books you've read about it, or something that shows your interest in the subject is definitely worth putting in there.
I mentioned work experience and at most of my interviews they asked me about that. They might also ask you an academic question which is quite practical. They don't expect you to know the answer, they just want to see how you process the informationa nd the way you think if that makes sense. If there's a particular industry/aspect of chemical engineering that you'd like to get into, you should definitely mention that. I talked about alternate energy and food and all my interviewers wanted to know more.

Hope that helps!
X
Reply 2
carboncapture
Hi guys. I want to apply to do Chemical Engineering at university (beginning 2011). I would love to hear from people who are doing Chem. Eng. via Natsci at Cambridge ( hopefully Christs College) about what the course is like and how difficult it was to get in. What did you write in your personal statement? What were they looking for at interview? Obviously I understand that no-one can tell me exactly what they ask, but what should I be prepared for?

My other choices are chem eng at Imperial, UCL, Bath, and Manchester (or birmingham- that last one is undecided).

Toodles

Bear in mind that Christ's only take 1 or 2 chemical engineers in per year, so the competition's going to be VERY tough, especially given the fact that almost every other potential engineering student nowadays seems to be a chemical engineer.

Good luck!

Latest