I think it's because it's Bank Holiday.
Try calling again tomorrow/today.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
otm
I'd quite like to learn French to a decent standard while studying an unrelated degree. Does anyone have any experiences of the language centre? I can't believe it's free! How far could I progress in three years? I've only done GCSE.

I tried contacting them today but the phone number goes to answering machine and the email doesn't seem to work :/

I've not used it, but I've seen the price list, and I think it's only free if you take it as modules for your course - don't quote me on that though; best to contact them and ask. In three years though? You could progress to a very high standard if you ask me. The courses are run in a number of levels, and one set of evening sessions should take you to about A-Level standard I think - again, don't quote me!

(Normally I'd have all this information to hand, but I can't access the UoN website :/)

It's a Bank Holiday today, so unless you need Security, drop the phone :p: Well, it's Tuesday now, so try after 9am sometime :smile: The email should work though - do you get an error or an email back?

Edit: We're back online - that was fixed quick, whatever it was. http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/language-centre/documents/eveningclassesdescription2010-11autumn.doc - that's the list of when the evening courses are run. To find out what level you should go in at see http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/Language-Centre/Teaching/Which_Stage_is_right_for_you.aspx - it suggests you should go in at Level 2 :smile:

The Course costs for students are £90 per part, so £90 for 10 weeks, including access to books, audio books, WebCT modules online etc.
Reply 3
DarkWhite
I've not used it, but I've seen the price list, and I think it's only free if you take it as modules for your course - don't quote me on that though; best to contact them and ask. In three years though? You could progress to a very high standard if you ask me. The courses are run in a number of levels, and one set of evening sessions should take you to about A-Level standard I think - again, don't quote me!

(Normally I'd have all this information to hand, but I can't access the UoN website :/)

It's a Bank Holiday today, so unless you need Security, drop the phone :p: Well, it's Tuesday now, so try after 9am sometime :smile: The email should work though - do you get an error or an email back?

I got this email back

Thanks for the info.
Reply 4
otm

I got this email back

Thanks for the info.

I did edit the post afterwards to include some more info on progression, what stage you should start at, and the costs.

I'll see about getting the email address looked into for you :smile: Did you get that reply email very quickly after sending the email?
Reply 5
DarkWhite
I did edit the post afterwards to include some more info on progression, what stage you should start at, and the costs.

I'll see about getting the email address looked into for you :smile: Did you get that reply email very quickly after sending the email?

Yes, very quickly, in fact I got the reply 2 minutes before I sent the initial email according to google mail :lolwut:
Reply 6
I also was sent that automated e-mail back when I tried to contact them!
Reply 7
otm
Yes, very quickly, in fact I got the reply 2 minutes before I sent the initial email according to google mail :lolwut:

parkes07

I've put in a ticket with IT Services for this issue.

If any of you want a quick reply, I'm more than happy to forward an email to them myself if you PM what you'd like me to send :smile:
Reply 8
otm
I'd quite like to learn French to a decent standard while studying an unrelated degree. Does anyone have any experiences of the language centre? I can't believe it's free! How far could I progress in three years? I've only done GCSE.

I tried contacting them today but the phone number goes to answering machine and the email doesn't seem to work :/

I think it said that it was only free if you do it as part of your degree. As far as I know, extra learning does cost - I want to take a language and I'm pretty sure it's going to cost me. But I think it said you could do 1 part in one term (roughly). So by the end of three years, you'd be on level 3, part 2 - which is supposed to be rather fluent, as far as I know. (I'm assuming you'd continue the whole time and pass any exams they may have, haha).

(:
Reply 9
ourkizuna
I think it said that it was only free if you do it as part of your degree. As far as I know, extra learning does cost - I want to take a language and I'm pretty sure it's going to cost me. But I think it said you could do 1 part in one term (roughly). So by the end of three years, you'd be on level 3, part 2 - which is supposed to be rather fluent, as far as I know. (I'm assuming you'd continue the whole time and pass any exams they may have, haha).

(:

Correct. Unless you're taking it as part of your degree programme, the cost for all the language courses I saw in the price sheet was £90 per semester, and you typically take a part in a semester, two parts to a level. So yeah, if you're taking a 3-year degree programme, you could go from Level 2, to Level 5, which is a very high standard :smile:
Reply 10
DarkWhite
Correct. Unless you're taking it as part of your degree programme, the cost for all the language courses I saw in the price sheet was £90 per semester, and you typically take a part in a semester, two parts to a level. So yeah, if you're taking a 3-year degree programme, you could go from Level 2, to Level 5, which is a very high standard :smile:

Wow, I got something right :O -shocked-
Haha, but is it only 90? (I say "only" rather loosely there). I thought it was £110 for 10 sessions?
ourkizuna
Wow, I got something right :O -shocked-
Haha, but is it only 90? (I say "only" rather loosely there). I thought it was £110 for 10 sessions?

£90 for students.
£110 to anyone else.

:smile:
Reply 12
DarkWhite
£90 for students.
£110 to anyone else.

still expensive, I can't take a language module as an option and I really want to improve my German or French. Don't know what to do...
Reply 13
DarkWhite
£90 for students.
£110 to anyone else.

Ah, I see, thanks! I was thinking of doing it when I thought it was £220 for a year so woo! That's 40 quid off if I still decide to do it :]

Tarwe@ Yeah, it is expensive. But I'm thinking of doing Japanese and 90 quid is a good price for that.
tarwe
still expensive, I can't take a language module as an option and I really want to improve my German or French. Don't know what to do...

It is, but then prices for courses like this in community colleges would be even higher (or they are at my local colleges), and in the Language Centre, you're being taught by experts in the field, as well as having a very large range of people and resources to pull up if you need help.

Although yeah, it is still expensive, I agree. The alternative would be to pick up some audio books and such off Amazon I suppose.
Reply 15
ourkizuna
Ah, I see, thanks! I was thinking of doing it when I thought it was £220 for a year so woo! That's 40 quid off if I still decide to do it :]

Tarwe@ Yeah, it is expensive. But I'm thinking of doing Japanese and 90 quid is a good price for that.

DarkWhite
It is, but then prices for courses like this in community colleges would be even higher (or they are at my local colleges), and in the Language Centre, you're being taught by experts in the field, as well as having a very large range of people and resources to pull up if you need help.

Although yeah, it is still expensive, I agree. The alternative would be to pick up some audio books and such off Amazon I suppose.

Yeh agreed, I was paying £20 a week for private French lessons through work. Can't decide between French or German :confused:
otm

I got this email back

Thanks for the info.

parkes07

Both, the correct email address uses a hyphen (-) rather than a period (.) in the middle of the address. You can email the Language Centre by clicking the link at the bottom of their web pages @ http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/Language-Centre/index.aspx

If you spot the old email with the dot in at any point, feel free to give me a shout and it can be changed :smile:
Reply 17
DarkWhite
Both, the correct email address uses a hyphen (-) rather than a period (.) in the middle of the address. You can email the Language Centre by clicking the link at the bottom of their web pages @ http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/Language-Centre/index.aspx

If you spot the old email with the dot in at any point, feel free to give me a shout and it can be changed :smile:

Thanks a lot. Do you work on the website or something or did you just ring someone up and inform them?
Reply 18
Do we have to email them before we get tp nottingham to register??

Latest

Trending

Trending