The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Ivan888
Hey guys! Unlike StudentJ and BelowPar, i will be going into my 2nd year of Comp Sci this year and one thing for sure is that my first year was awesome.

Generally, the workload is alright as you would be getting on average one assignment per week and these should be fairly easy to work out if you follow your lectures and do some extra reading ( don't think people ever do extra reading but it would have helped me a lot if i did!) The assignments are mostly the maths modules like CS130 and CS131 and are normally due the following week upon release. I strongly recommend attending the seminars because these are where you can actually learn something and point out any queries you have on topics taught during lectures.

To be honest, lectures are the most boring place to be because there doesn't seem to have any interaction between lecturer and students and this is where half of the class ends up having sweet dreams. (But its funny watching those who sleep and the worst ones would rock their heads and me and a friend would call them 'fishing'). One lecture i can warn you of boredom is CS133, you'll find out for yourself and it gets progressively boring throughout the term!:eek3:

For most computer scientists, you'll be curious to know what programming languages you'll be adopting, projects to be done, programs to write or even robots to program, don't worry the first term will be based entirely on learning the Java language (that is for the CS118 module - Programming for computer Scientist) and developing a program to control a robot to find its way in a maze! This will be a project that will cost you relentless hours of work in front of your PC but in the end it will all pay off. However for those of you with no computer background you need not worry because the project will be done in numerous stages and each stage contains step by step instructions to write the programming. The good thing there are plenty of people to help you if you are stuck, be it friends, lectures or even students from 2nd and 3rd years as many would be around in the department.

i will not say further but this is pretty much the 1st term of comp sci and the rest is for you to experience and enjoy. One fact is Computer science and systems will count 10% towards your final degree which i find unfair as most courses don't count. regardless of that, its only your first year so make as many friends as possible, join as many socials you can try and try a sport and of course balance your studies too then you will have no problem in your first year! Good luck to all of you joining us this coming year! Keep me posted for any advice...

Watching him do that was more entertaining than any lecture all year, including Ranko (first year maths for comp sci 1 teacher) receiving his gift from a bumble bee. lol.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Latest