The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Chocothunder
Hey all,

First of all, I feel I should begin by stating categorically that in no way am I racist, and that I am a firm believer in equality and harmony between different races, religions and sexes.

That said, I have a major problem with black people: I just don’t know how to speak to them. I think that the problem is that I’m terrified of unwittingly saying something insensitive to them, and being accused of racism/apathy towards black issues. Because of this, whenever I speak to a black person, I find myself almost trying to suck up to them and their cultural heritage, e.g. I constantly address them as ‘mate’ or ‘bro’ (which sounds incredibly odd due to my received pronunciation), compliment the achievements of people like Martin Luther King and Rosa Parks, pretend to be in awe of reggae and rap artists (whom I actually despise), claim to be Samuel L Jackson’s biggest fan etc. :s-smilie: It’s weird, because every time I start doing it, it sounds really forced and untrue, and I vow never to do it again, but I always do… Most of the time I don’t even make a constant decision to do it, it just happens because I’m so nervous. And recently it’s got even worse: I’ve started peppering my speech with ‘black slang’, e.g. I’ll greet them with a friendly ‘yo’, talk about my ‘crib’ and say things are ‘hip’. :s-smilie:

Is this normal? Is it something that I should be worried about? What could I try and do in order to be less nervous around black people and to be able talk to them as I would with anyone else?

Thanks. :o:

Shut your agitating blick ass up Chocothunder :biggrin:

7/10, it wasn't over done, overall, i'd say a good effort.
Chocothunder
x

That's it, I'm going to have to out troll you and show you how to do it properly :colone:
lovely_me
That's it, I'm going to have to out troll you and show you how to do it properly :colone:

Pffffft, be my guest and try. :rolleyes: Just be sure to link me so I can judge your 'skills' *cough cough* for myself...
Chocothunder
Pffffft, be my guest and try. :rolleyes: Just be sure to link me so I can judge your 'skills' *cough cough* for myself...

Enjoy my friend, before it gets banned :frown:
that was hilarious!! hahahaha. so i guess u never had any black friends then... just relax, are u not like that around people of other races either? like asian people? assuming u are white. how are u around people in a group of different races? surely u dont treat everyone different there... just try and not think about it too much... the person is not black, they are just a person.
Chocothunder
Is this normal? Is it something that I should be worried about? What could I try and do in order to be less nervous around black people and to be able talk to them as I would with anyone else?

Warning level 8 already? My my ^^
lovely_me
Enjoy my friend, before it gets banned :frown:

Hah, not baaaad, but not subtle enough. A solid 5/10. *pats head*

Much to learn you have, my young Padawan. :starwars:
Reply 87
:frown: Deleted.
Reply 88
Chocothunder
Hey all,

First of all, I feel I should begin by stating categorically that in no way am I racist, and that I am a firm believer in equality and harmony between different races, religions and sexes.

That said, I have a major problem with black people: I just don’t know how to speak to them. I think that the problem is that I’m terrified of unwittingly saying something insensitive to them, and being accused of racism/apathy towards black issues. Because of this, whenever I speak to a black person, I find myself almost trying to suck up to them and their cultural heritage, e.g. I constantly address them as ‘mate’ or ‘bro’ (which sounds incredibly odd due to my received pronunciation), compliment the achievements of people like Martin Luther King and Rosa Parks, pretend to be in awe of reggae and rap artists (whom I actually despise), claim to be Samuel L Jackson’s biggest fan etc. :s-smilie: It’s weird, because every time I start doing it, it sounds really forced and untrue, and I vow never to do it again, but I always do… Most of the time I don’t even make a constant decision to do it, it just happens because I’m so nervous. And recently it’s got even worse: I’ve started peppering my speech with ‘black slang’, e.g. I’ll greet them with a friendly ‘yo’, talk about my ‘crib’ and say things are ‘hip’. :s-smilie:

Thanks. :o:

their people get over it. Their just a differnent colour.? why speak to them any different to how you would speak to a white/pink/brown person?
QwentyJ
Just buy them a KFC and you will find that all tension you had with them will dissapate. :awesome:

lol, u clown! We don't all love chicken, i even know a black veggie, how about that...:eek:
I just lol'd all the way through reading this. :rofl:
Clearly a troll post. His behaviour is identical to David Brent on the office. A good troll though, brought back memories of the greatest TV show ever.
This is went on for longer than it should've done...Locked.

Latest

Trending

Trending