The Student Room Group

Resits information and questions

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Fuzzed_Out
Well in part because you can't sit an exam without them and because they have no obligation to potentially have their average grade brought down by a student they haven't taught.

They are making profit on you but all the colleges around my area won't let people they haven't had experience teaching sit the exam unless there are exceptional circumstances.

Thats why I am not asking for schools. I am asking for an external candidate exam centre. Now the one college i contacted charged £100 and I can understand that on what you have told me, but the other two are separate institutions which dont actually teach anyone.
adam_zed
Thats why I am not asking for schools. I am asking for an external candidate exam centre. Now the one college i contacted charged £100 and I can understand that on what you have told me, but the other two are separate institutions which dont actually teach anyone.

Just because they're not a school, doesn't mean they don't want your money. You need to do these exams, and they know that. They also know that you will pay whatever they charge because you need to do the exams and can't afford not to do them. They'll take advantage of you, just like schools and colleges will.
adam_zed

I don't know what to say then; life can be unfair.
Reply 43
I have a question... I missed an A2 Psy exam in June due to illness, and I know I'm not going to get in Uni this year and so I am planning to retake it in Jan. I asked the dude in charge of exams at my college how much it would cost as an external candidate and he said £20 but that was the same amount as a retake when you are a member of the college.

I'm now kind of worried it's gonna be more. Do you think he got it wrong?

Hmm, I hope not, cause there is no way I can afford anymore for retakes.
Reply 44
if you dont do well in AS exams but you still have a pass to learn the subject at A2 is a resit really needed? Uni's only look at the A level grades and points not the AS. Do you retake AS exams to get a better predicition for A level? :s-smilie:
taliman
if you dont do well in AS exams but you still have a pass to learn the subject at A2 is a resit really needed? Uni's only look at the A level grades and points not the AS. Do you retake AS exams to get a better predicition for A level? :s-smilie:

Half of the marks for your A level grade come from your AS modules, so the higher marks you get for AS the better.
Reply 46
Anyone doin A level Geology, WJEC, anyone know if there is retakes in January as well as June??
Reply 47
adam_zed
Can I ask where this is?

The place is called CambellHarris School, its on Kensington High Street, there is an application for to be filled in and u just turn up and register. So they are the cheapest that I found. I will still be looking around for other places in the mean time though.

Good Luck.
Reply 48
Especially the top ones, if you get A*AA or AAA for example, would they really care?

Cheers x
Reply 49
Any cheap centers for retakes
what about practicals?
They won't know about resits unless your AS's are check-in already. Cambridge want all modular information on their SAQ, but still, if you're a good enough candidate and show great determination etc....
Reply 51
Yeah but can't you ask the exam boards to scrap this years grades and then begin the AS year again fresh
Hey, recieved my results and I'm so-so about them.
In my English Literature I got a C overall but the marks were this:
Aspects of Narrative: 61/120 D
Dramatic Genres: 60/80 B

Should I resit Aspects of Narrative? How far was I off a C which would give me an overall of B?

Also my maths I got a C. With results as follows;
Decision 1 : 58/100 D
Core 1: 57/100 D
Core 2: 66/100 C

Because D1 and C1 were so close to a C it wasn't too bad that they were D's, but should I resit those two papers, or would it not make much of a difference?

My grades were BCCU, U in history which I have GRATEFULLY dropped. I firmly believe that if I got my head down I could get ABB, is this too unrealistic?

Cheers.
Reply 53
Is it possible to retake in January and go up alot?

My sister got C D D D in Sociology, Business, Politics and English and obviously she is really dissapointed.

She doesnt really know weather to carry on to A2 or do the entire year again (which seems like hard work).

The only thing about re-taking in january is the amount of work load you will have (doing AS and A2 ) so basically she's stuck.

P.S. She's not applying for uni this year. She's always planned on taking a gap year to travel and go to the US.

What do you advise?
If my school cashes in my AS grades I can still retake a module in January can't I?
Reply 55
Hey there guys,

I am new on the student room and i just had a few questions about my results.
I just sat AS levels and i was very disappointed with my results (ABBB, i expected AAAB)
Therefore i plan to re-sit some of my modules during my U6 year.
Due to my results i have recieved an ABB prediction for A levels however the university i wanted to go to had a AAA requirement.
Therefore my question is that should i apply this year to Unis which would accept ABB and if i get AAA should i reapply the following year (2012 entry?)

Thanks alot.
ovs300
Hey there guys,

I am new on the student room and i just had a few questions about my results.
I just sat AS levels and i was very disappointed with my results (ABBB, i expected AAAB)
Therefore i plan to re-sit some of my modules during my U6 year.
Due to my results i have recieved an ABB prediction for A levels however the university i wanted to go to had a AAA requirement.
Therefore my question is that should i apply this year to Unis which would accept ABB and if i get AAA should i reapply the following year (2012 entry?)

Thanks alot.

You can apply and hold offers for Unis that want ABB. Then if this time next year you get AAA you could decline your offers and reapply next year with AAA or look in clearing.

Any reason you can't be predicted higher? Have you talked to your teachers?
Reply 57
AllThatPower
You can apply and hold offers for Unis that want ABB. Then if this time next year you get AAA you could decline your offers and reapply next year with AAA or look in clearing.

Any reason you can't be predicted higher? Have you talked to your teachers?

yeah i have and they said that A predictions would be difficult
Reply 58
mizzangelic05
My essay is supposed to be 5000 words long, but at the moment its 5015. is that ok? :s-smilie:

I'm pretty sure the word count thing is just a guide - I think my final count was just under 5000 words (I had to take out a few sections just before the date it was due in). I wouldn't worry unless you got to like, 7000 and still weren't finished - but try and get in contact with whoever is advising you on it to check.
Reply 59
Psychology 172/200 UMS - A
English Literature 119/200 UMS - D
Maths 161/300 UMS - D

Awful results, I know!
I'm aiming for a ABB overall.
What grades do I need at A2 to get 320 points overall ? :confused:

Also,
Should I retake the D's next year, or just focus on getting higher at A2?

Please Help! :confused:

Quick Reply

Latest