The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
tanzeel
Which country is generally better? America
I know virtually nothing about America except Amerian football, basketball, fat people, nice weather in Florida, thats it. Its highly subjective but in general, American sports > British sports bar cricket but that's just my opinion. The people are no fatter than they are in the UK. The weather varies massively considering that America is about the same size as the entire continent of Europe. Up north in Michigan or Wisconsin, the weather is just as crap as that in the UK whereas down south in Arizona or Texas, its sunnier.
Apart from that, the one thing that puts Brits off a lot about America is that its a lot more religious than pretty much anywhere else in Europe maybe apart from southern Italy but the extent of it is massively exaggerated. Its more conservative yet more liberal at the same time if that makes any sense to you.

What about the weather in Carolina?
Reply 21
(You)
Well, believe it or not, there are other countries in the UK other than England. I think they're called: Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Ireland is in the EU and they speak English. :colonhash:

They do?! I never have a clue what they're saying
Reply 22
America is bigger, cheaper and generally better.

But you will get shot.
Reply 23
spazman21
Every state is like a different country to be honest... I'm hoping to go study in North America. I'd love to go to NYU. You can't go wrong with New York. I can't understand why anyone wouldn't love that city.

California is amazing for the weather and girls, especially LA. Apparently every girl there is drop-dead gorgeous :yep:

I agree! I have been to three states (FL, NY, CA) and they are all like different countries! It's hard to say!
(You)

Ireland is in the EU and they speak English. :colonhash:

This!

I've only been to Florida which was nice but a tourist spot so I don't think it really gave a good perception of what America is really like, but I think it would be very difficult for you to live there. Getting a visa is a nightmare. My dad worked there once in the 90s and they made a mistake on his passport, now whenever we go back (post 9/11) he is questioned at the airport by security. Also if you want to leave England or even the UK at least pick somewhere with free healthcare.
Reply 25
tanzeel
Its highly subjective but in general, American sports > British sports bar cricket but that's just my opinion.

Exactly.

The people are no fatter than they are in the UK.

They are both statistically and also irl too. I went over there and definitely noticed a difference in the amount of fat people and they were big.

I know virtually nothing about America except Amerian football, basketball, fat people, nice weather in Florida, thats it. The weather varies massively considering that America is about the same size as the entire continent of Europe. Up north in Michigan or Wisconsin, the weather is just as crap as that in the UK whereas down south in Arizona or Texas, its sunnier.

I bet Florida doesn't have that nice weather when a hurricane's attacking the south-east coast and your house gets ripped to shreads.
Well, the United States has some great things to see and do, but it's also let down by stuff like high crime rates and Sarah Palin.
Reply 27
This is going to be a long thread if it gets out of hand...

But anyway, back to the original question.
It's impossible to say which one you'd prefer- only you can know that, so I don't know how I can help you decide. Just do your research beforehand, take a few holidays there, that kind of thing.
Reply 28
AXERTYRE
What about the weather in Carolina?

Never been to either of the Carolinas but given their location, it shouldn't be too cold.
Aphotic Cosmos
So educate yourself.
:rolleyes:
Reply 30
America. Everything is big, and a lot more spaced out. Cars are big, shops are big, people are big. Except for big cities, where everything is mega tall, but the people are still big there too.
Their TV channels shows commercials for the same amount of time they show actual TV shows. And their TV is weird. And even if you don't have cable, you still get like 50 channels, whereas here you get 5.
There is no place in America that does not have some sort of advertising on/near/around/next to it.
Everyone uses cars, they don't like to use buses or trains as much as we do here.
They are very patriotic, they like to put their flag up everywhere.
They tip everyone. And you can own a gun.
Too Many Decisions
I like America... it's a shame about all the Americans though.

I agree with this in florida, but in new york - the only other place i've been in the states - i found everyone to be pleasant, well mannered, and decidedly not fat.
strange that :s-smilie:

oh and op, its not a case of "i fancy america, i think i'll move there". it took my dads mate 10 years to get a green card, and he has a business there.
Aphotic Cosmos
So educate yourself.

This. Don't bother with US.
Sarah Palin:facepalm2:
rocki-i
America. Everything is big, and a lot more spaced out. Cars are big, shops are big, people are big. Except for big cities, where everything is mega tall, but the people are still big there too.
Their TV channels shows commercials for the same amount of time they show actual TV shows. And their TV is weird. And even if you don't have cable, you still get like 50 channels, whereas here you get 5.
There is no place in America that does not have some sort of advertising on/near/around/next to it.
Everyone uses cars, they don't like to use buses or trains as much as we do here.
They are very patriotic, they like to put their flag up everywhere.
They tip everyone. And you can own a gun.

In other words, not a very pleasant country, if you have gun phobia.
Reply 35
TimmonaPortella
I agree with this in florida, but in new york - the only other place i've been in the states - i found everyone to be pleasant, well mannered, and decidedly not fat.

oh and op, its not a case of "i fancy america, i think i'll move there". it took my dads mate 10 years to get a green card, and he has a business there.

I said before I have American passport thats why it's natural for me to consider America.
TimmonaPortella

That will be because New York is a world city and has more foreigners than the majority of American habitats. People are also accustomed to working with strangers as there is a lot of business/economical work there.
UK holds it tight

no question x
Reply 38
You need to ask yourself whether you could truly live in a country where people are still murdered by the government, and where almost anyone can get hold of a gun.
Ever considered Bradsford though?

Latest

Trending

Trending