The Student Room Group

The Manchester City Society II

Scroll to see replies

Economist
It's already a sad day as we have thugs going around breaking bones without sufficient punishment

You can't be advocating punishments based on actual injuries received? How is that fair? How could it be so? Fabregas 'broke' his leg against Barca, but that was an innocuous challenge to say the least, but you'd still want retrospective punishment based on the physical outcome of an injury? Nonsense, imo. How does one know that x was at full physical peak prior to the challenge by y?
Kevmeister
You can't be advocating punishments based on actual injuries received? How is that fair? How could it be so? Fabregas 'broke' his leg against Barca, but that was an innocuous challenge to say the least, but you'd still want retrospective punishment based on the physical outcome of an injury? Nonsense, imo. How does one know that x was at full physical peak prior to the challenge by y?

No, i'm not. But at the same time it would be nonsense to completely ignore the consequences of the 'challenge'. It would be more fair if De Jong had got a 6 game ban than the current situation where he gets nothing
Economist
No, i'm not. But at the same time it would be nonsense to completely ignore the consequences of the 'challenge'. It would be more fair if De Jong had got a 6 game ban than the current situation where he gets nothing

It'll take a seachange in the FA's [and possibly FIFA's] attitude towards the ref's decision, and it being final [if the incident was seen by him/her], before we see anything done, imo. The punishments need to be looked at, too, as at present I don't think there's any incident that gets a 6 game ban...... the officiating system needs an overhaul, that much is certain to most, but all those that hold the cards, it seems, sadly.
Oh wah wah wah ******* wah. You poor pampered souls, go and smother yourselves in cotton wool and wee in your mother's beds.
Jangrafess
Oh wah wah wah ******* wah. You poor pampered souls, go and smother yourselves in cotton wool and wee in your mother's beds.

I can't get it that far..... :erm:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 185
Economist

Have you even seen the tackle?

I said it before, they're made up and down the leagues every weekend. Not one Newcastle fan thought it was unfair at the ground, nor did their manager retrospectively or the ref. He got the ball and unfortunately his momentum took him through into Ben Arfa's standing leg, nothing more to it.
Reply 186
Jeppasloth
How the **** is it a ridiculous defence, with Holland he's done a few bad tackles, but I honestly don't remember a single bad tackle he's done in a City shirt. Tackling is a huge part of football and it'll be a sad day it's outlawed.

Even accepting this, somehow his relatively clean club record means its ok for him to make the sort of challenges that he has for Holland? See what I meant about ridiculous defences? In his playing career he's fractured 2 players' legs and karate kicked one, this is not the sign of a "good tackler".
I appreciate good defensive players like Makalele as much as anyone, but there's a difference b/w that and just thuggish and reckless tacklers like De Jong.
Jeppasloth
Have you even seen the tackle?

I said it before, they're made up and down the leagues every weekend. Not one Newcastle fan thought it was unfair at the ground, nor did their manager retrospectively or the ref. He got the ball and unfortunately his momentum took him through into Ben Arfa's standing leg, nothing more to it.

No, i'm just spouting this stuff for a laugh?

He lunges into the tackle with both feet off the ground and scissors a standing leg, there was no misfortune about it.

Stop referring to the fans who don't have a clear view, if it was so innoxious he wouldn't have been dropped internationally and had journalists from his homeland talk out aggressively about him
Economist
No, i'm just spouting this stuff for a laugh?

He lunges into the tackle with both feet off the ground and scissors a standing leg, there was no misfortune about it.

Stop referring to the fans who don't have a clear view, if it was so innoxious he wouldn't have been dropped internationally and had journalists from his homeland talk out aggressively about him

Just ignore him and his posts. Completely lacking of any logic and he's defending the indefensible. This City lot just aren't worth engaging with tbh.
Reply 189
I'm not even going to bother wading into the De Jong should be banned forever because he broke someones leg argument. But the 'scissor tackle' needs to have as a high a punishment as the two-footed reckless ones. The scissor looks fine because the player gets the ball, but the follow through with the trailing leg to 'let the player know you're there' causes so many injuries, be that minor or major.
Nothing wrong with De Jong's tackling. Don't get me wrong, he's a mentalist and a sickening human being but he's playing the game. I would absolutely love it if Arsenal players started playing like De Jong. It's very much a 'break his leg or have yours broken' game at the moment. Danny Murphy's views in mid-week sum up my feelings totally but unlike the naive, I know nothing's going to change. Talentless ****s will go 'round breaking legs and so join them or keep crying about it.
If any of you actually watched City games, you'd probably realise that he's one hell of a footballer. His positioning, anticipation and awareness are phenomenally good, he's improved so much since he first joined us.

It was an incredibly unlucky for Ben Arfa to break his leg, nothing more, nothing less. Everyone is just jumping on the bandwagon, and it's getting a bit beyond a joke now.
It is amazing how the media have changed their tune about De Jong since Vicky Kloss at City sent legal letters to them all about defamation.
As for the rest screw them. We're the new Millwall and loving it!
hypocriticaljap
It is amazing how the media have changed their tune about De Jong since Vicky Kloss at City sent legal letters to them all about defamation.
As for the rest screw them. We're the new Millwall and loving it!

Unfortunate that Collymore was on holiday, would of loved it if she'd got hold of him!

And new Millwall? I'm a little bit offended by that... :wink:
Reply 194
Overmars
Nothing wrong with De Jong's tackling. Don't get me wrong, he's a mentalist and a sickening human being but he's playing the game. I would absolutely love it if Arsenal players started playing like De Jong. It's very much a 'break his leg or have yours broken' game at the moment. Danny Murphy's views in mid-week sum up my feelings totally but unlike the naive, I know nothing's going to change. Talentless ****s will go 'round breaking legs and so join them or keep crying about it.

sickening human being? so we're judging the moral fabric of a footballer because of a tackle?

jesus wept.
Jim-ie
sickening human being? so we're judging the moral fabric of a footballer because of a tackle?

Several, actually. It's obvious the guy goes out to hurt opponents. I don't blame him though.
are you guys looking forward to being our latest scalp next week? :biggrin:
GreenIsTheNewRed
are you guys looking forward to being our latest scalp next week? :biggrin:

My advice to the Blackpool players would be to bring along some protective layers for the legs (and chest as we all know how much De Jong loves his kung-fu) Maybe even double up on them?

I watched Blackpool away to Newcastle and I was impressed. Impressed with the spirit of the team and the quality tbh. Your attack impressed me, your defence worried me! I would love to see you beat that blue filth.
hehe, I am going to the game, so im hoping we can at least get something from it, been to every game so far this season with my friends, we decided we had to cause we are in the premiership now!

I think Holloway got a touchline ban though, he has been great as manager, main aim for us this season is still to stay up though
I will never like Holloway, so in a way I'm a bit disappointed he's got the ban. I'd have liked to abuse him. But I'm still not in the money enough to buy any tickets, so I guess it doesn't really matter.

Quick Reply

Latest