The Student Room Group

The Manchester City Society II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jim-ie
Pish son, not hear the fans against West Brom then, nah? Ferguson was neither at United until that first trophy win (then again United fans tend to conveniently forget their history prior to the early 90s), so that "yet" may be the best word in that sentence.

Nah, I tend to watch footie without sound now, due to the dearth of good commentators. There is a reason I put that yet in there, Jim. :wink:
Reply 581
Original post by Kevmeister
Nah, I tend to watch footie without sound now, due to the dearth of good commentators. There is a reason I put that yet in there, Jim. :wink:

Watch it with Spanish/Arabic commentary like I do.

gooooooool :awesome: beats the **** out of andy ****ing gray anyday.
Reply 582
I hate MoN so much. I would like to grow extra long nails and have adamantium strapped to them so I could rip him apart piece by piece. Feeding him each piece so I could rip it out of him again. The deceitful piece of s***.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 583
:rofl2: take it you're not a fan?
Reply 584
Not at all. He gives me so much rage I practically faint!
Reply 585
I'm getting a MoN tracksuit for the next meet :sogood:
Reply 586
I'm getting Wolverine claws :h:
Reply 587
I've even got the glasses and wig. Just need to work on the accent :sexface:
Reply 588
Original post by R-KAM
I've even got the glasses and wig. Just need to work on the accent :sexface:

You need to work on your desperation for more money too.
Reply 589
Original post by Colonel Brusnahan

Original post by Colonel Brusnahan
You need to work on your desperation for more money too.

I've got that one in the bag tbh :colondollar:
Reply 590
Original post by R-KAM
I've got that one in the bag tbh :colondollar:

Nice one.
Reply 591
Original post by meskell
Mourinho is very well liked and Ferguson is hated but at least he has pretty much universal respect. Guardiola, Ancelotti, Hiddink and Van Gaal are all well liked.

Those are just at the top of my head.

Original post by Jangrafess
Yeah, I'm not entirely sure that that's true. Not many people like Souness, Allardyce, etc.

Original post by meskell
Also doesn't work with players. In the past the likes of Zidane, Nedved, Weah and Zola have been loved. Even now the likes of Messi and Kaka are universally liked.

Robbie Savage, despite my man love for his on pitch hilarity, is pretty much despised.

Maybe I should clear it up. Rivals fans will always hate good players, managers and clubs.

I can't really comment on foreign leagues but I've always got the impression Madrid fans dislike Pep and Inter fans Ancelotti. Although I may be wrong.

But certainly Ferguson is hated by Arse, Chelsea, Liverpool and City fans alike. Wenger is hated by United fans same with Benitez. Mourinho too. Of course there will be exceptions here and there from balanced football fans but on the whole they get abused whenever they go away to those grounds.

Same with players. Henry, Drogba, Rooney, Anelka, Ronaldo, Lampard, Gerrard, Torres, Adebayor, RVN, Terry, Ferdinand etc etc. Maybe foreign football is different. I mean even the likes of Giggs and Scholes who are nigh on exemplary get a lot of stick. And don't tell me it's because they play for United because John O'Shea doesn't get nearly as much abuse.

It could be that good players are always that because of detestable characteristics (The majority of those players are *****) that make them succesful but that just shows Mancini has it too.

Obviously there will be exceptions, the rule doesn't work in reverse and it may be different abroad (I don't speak to many foreign fans). But in England rival fans hate anyone remotely good. I probably should've said it that way first but whatever.
Reply 592
Even if people do dislike these people they generally have a lot of respect for the ones they don't think are ***** and sometimes for the ones they do think are.

Despite Liverpool fans absolutely despising ferguson the majority would have respec lt for him in his success and the way he has built a club. Same with Wenger.

I don't actually know anyone who dislikes Ancelotti tbh.

I don't really have too much of an opinion on Mancini myself. His tactics are coma inducing but he seems to be mildly successful at eking out results.

As for players, pretty much everyone liked Henry when he was at Arsenal. Most people like Giggs and Scholes is very well thought of by everyone. Yes fans will scream abuse at the ground to try and put the opposition off but it doesn't mean they actually dislike these players or managers as people.

I am on my phone so anything that doesn't make sense forgive me :flutter:
Reply 593
I never said anything about respect :s-smilie: Just that Mancini being hated by a Liverpool fan is more of a good sign than a bad one.
Original post by Jim-ie
Watch it with Spanish/Arabic commentary like I do.

gooooooool :awesome: beats the **** out of andy ****ing gray anyday.

More action:

:sexface:
Reply 595
But nobody respects Mancini either so isn't that a bad sign :s
Reply 596
Not really no. Did extremely well in Italy and is now transferring that to the English game. It was never going to be instantaneous. Few Engish fans follow Italian football so it makes sense he has little respect.
Reply 597
I respect both him and his taste in fine wine.
Reply 598
People respect Ancelotti though and respected him when he came over and they like him.

I think people don't really respect Mancini as they see his trophy haul at Inter as a bit of a sham. Some were handed to him retroactively which could never have the same respect afforded to it a winning it outright. On top ofthat his other win was at a canter as the bigger rivals had either been ravaged or relegated by the scandal.

He was a success of circumstance rather than ability. His true test is at City, which he doesn't seem to be doing amazingly well at due to his (or at least what appears to be) crippling fear of defeat.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 599
I'm sure Inter had won nothing for 30 odd years till those 3 titles, so you can hardly say he took over a successful side and kept them successful with little competition. Ferguson's first few leagues had no major competition (Or so I'm told :wink:). Chelsea are arguably facing the weakest United/Arsenal/Liverpool sides in years yet no-one holds that against Ancelotti. Plus Mancini won two cups with two smaller clubs (Fiorentina was one) where he certainly wasn't favorite. Redknapp has forged a huge amount of respect in certain quarters without any success whatsoever. Mancini really isn't dealt a fair hand by the media imo.

Also this boring negative thing is ****e. When he first came in we started scoring more and really went for it in the big games teams (Chelsea away, Villa at home, Spurs at home, the home CC derby aswell as countless smaller games) often to our detriment. Then we shipped out a load of attacking dead weight/Bellamy.

He brought in two attacking full backs, a striker and a play maker. The full backs and striker instantly got injured and Silva had to "adapt". Ade has been in and out of fitness, the less said about RSC the better. Often Mancini has had little choice but to put out these sides. We're starting to get everyone back fit though, so in a month or two you should come back and we'll see how negative he is then. You may be right, but he hasn't shown anything overly negative so far imo. A lot of it has been forced on him.

Quick Reply

Latest