The Student Room Group

The Manchester City Society II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jeppasloth

The society for all things Manchester City, but please, the following have been done to death. I'll still argue because I have nothing better to do but please come in with an original point;

- Hughes should/shouldn't have been sacked
- We're ruining the PL, football etc
- We're a small club with no history
- Anything written in the Daily Mail, The Sun etc
- WUMing based on us losing in the last minute :sad:
- The value for money of Joleon Lescott and James Milner

I'm unsure as to what your overall argument is, but yeah i'll admit it i was a Hughes outer, his style of play at sometimes fantastic but his overall game was a bit weak, and i do think even still we got ripped off on Lescott. 24M for half a seasons worth of decent peformances and the rest have been average. Everton went out and bought an established RB/CB in Hettinga and our former CB distin and had money to spare from the lescott deal.
Reply 1581
Original post by adamski93
I'm unsure as to what your overall argument is, but yeah i'll admit it i was a Hughes outer, his style of play at sometimes fantastic but his overall game was a bit weak, and i do think even still we got ripped off on Lescott. 24M for half a seasons worth of decent peformances and the rest have been average. Everton went out and bought an established RB/CB in Hettinga and our former CB distin and had money to spare from the lescott deal.

Hughes was tactically naive and his man-mangement skills were atrocious just glad that he recieved his p45.
So when will you be putting in £50m for Jones?
Reply 1583
Supposedly it is now a £150m bid and £400,000 a week for Ronaldo :h:
Original post by Mess.
Supposedly it is now a £150m bid and £400,000 a week for Ronaldo :h:

He wouldn't leave for that, I bet his release clause is higher...
Reply 1585
lol just read that on the mirror. journalism in britain is world class.
The City boss said: "Zlatan is proof you have to spend money to win titles.

"Milan took him from Barcelona and, look, they have won Serie A.

"What a fantastic player he is. Wherever he goes - Ajax, Juventus, Inter, Barcelona and now Milan - he wins the title. If Zlatan wants to come to City I would immediately find a place for him."

Quite obvious Mancini will do all he can to sign him and I doubt he has many other suitors. I wonder how he would end up doing.
Reply 1587
Well he did manage him, so I'd assume he knows how to play him.
Reply 1588
I'd be **** scared if you signed him. Maybe he goes missing in the big games but at bullying the small teams he has to be one of the best in the world. When Ronaldo first got really good at us (06-07) people said he didn't impact on the big games but he still fired us to 3 league titles in a row. Pretty sure Ibra averages better than a goal every other game since moving to Italy, and including his spell in Spain. You'd stop dropping as many points in the games you shouldn't be dropping points in, and you're defensively sound enough (and have Yaya ****ing Toure who always scores when it matters :colonhash:) to compete in the big games. If you have to do it he's probably the best Tevez replacement I can think of who's somewhat realistic.

Title wins: 03-04, (04-05), (05-06), 06-07, 07-08, 08-09, 09-10 and 10-11. And that's at 5 different clubs. (brackets are the Juve ones)

I'd say you'd need to add a goalscoring winger to that as well. Silva can create from one side, Ballotelli can score from the other but you can't really trust Balo to contribute for a whole season.

And then some creativity in the middle, say Modric to replace Barry. Tbh De Jong is so good in the holding role that you could afford someone playing higher up the pitch than Modric. Fabregas or even a Sneijder could fit in, although i'm not 100% sure they'd move (Fab in particular).

Thing is most of what i've said up there could actually happen this summer. Getting more and more worried over here.
Louis you've took the words out of my mouth.

If we lose Tevez then Ibra has to be the signing unless we can pull of something truly ridiculous (Messi/Ronaldo) for all the reasons above.

In my opinion Balo will never be a wide man, he just drifts in and out of the game too much. Then because he's an idiot he gets annoyed at himself and does something stupid. A stat of yellows/reds/fouls out wide compared to when he's playing centrally would be interesting. When he plays centrally he gets involved and surprisingly plays very unselfishly with nice link up play. Was unlucky not to have got a couple of goals in the tail end of the season, some heroic goal keeping kept him out.

The Barry issue is strange. On the surface he's a liability against poor sides, nothing to give going forward and vulnerable to their only outlet; pace. Yet he still seems to monster those games, I would say a good 5 of our away wins were down to a Barry simplicity master class. To the extent I think he's more important than De Jong against those teams. Then again De Jong started to add a decent range of passing to his game. Would be interesting to see if he could step up to be a play maker, he obviously has the technique and has creative experience at other clubs.

As you say though we definitely need one more good midfielder. I'm stuck between the ideal being a Fabregas (Creativity/ideas), a Lampard (Consistency) or a Gerrard (Leadership). Could make a case for us needing any one of those qualities the most and I know each posses a bit of the other's qualities.

Goal scoring winger needs to be fast aswell.
Reply 1590
Where do you see Balo's future at you? I see it as a bit similar to Silva's, a 'winger' but one who has license to cut inside and generally get involved in the game when he wants. Balo would probably do that by getting into the box and on the shoulders of defenders, Silva would do that outside the box in between the defence and midfield if that space exists, so they wouldn't be playing in the same space. Don't think you need proper old fashioned wide men.

The alternative would be a bit part player for the games you play 2 strikers in, rotating with Dzeko in that role I suppose. He'll probably move on soon enough though.
However Ronaldo used to play is how Balotelli should because Balotelli is so similar to him and it obviously worked in the PL. I honestly don't think his actual position matters too much in the grand scheme of things, our front 3 is pretty fluid so he'll drift to his natural positions. The important thing is he stays involved at all times and that means he needs to be central.

Agree he'll probably move on soon enough.

In my opinion the fundamental problem is he's so insecure, despite possessing all the talent in the world at no point has it ever manifested in an excellent run of games or had a manager have confidence in him performing in big games. He however knows his talent so can only blame the problem on other things or do stupid things to take that attention away from it. He's unlucky that Mourinho had no faith at all in kids and unlucky everyone talked about how he would walk the PL; he didn't expect it to be so tough when it would be tough for any 19 year old kid.

What he needs is a run of games he puts a few exceptional performances in, like he usually does, but the important thing is his off days he needs that bit of luck to score a goal. The fans want to love him, the press would love him to do well for the column inches and Mancini would obviously love for his biggest risk to come off. Remember when Bale was being hyped up, that's what Balo needs. He needs to be told he's good so he can focus on being good at football.

As you can see I could write about him all day :fan:
Reply 1592
I still think Dzeko will be our match winner if Tevez leaves.
Reply 1593
Apparently big Paddy is gone.

Sad if so, would have loved to see him stay for another season, definitely has a part to play. Not only for influencing Richards and Balotelli, but he proved he was still capable. Didnt let us down well called upon.
Reply 1594
Gutted if that's true. I'm still hoping he might get offered a new deal, though, he's a class act.
Reply 1595
Original post by Laertes
Gutted if that's true. I'm still hoping he might get offered a new deal, though, he's a class act.

I made the mistake of clicking your spoiler and firefox had a heart attack.. but SLF? good man.

Wondering if you're a Man City or Celtic fan since it says Manchester in your location but you have JCGE in your sig..
Reply 1596
Original post by Jim-ie
I made the mistake of clicking your spoiler and firefox had a heart attack.. but SLF? good man.

Wondering if you're a Man City or Celtic fan since it says Manchester in your location but you have JCGE in your sig..

City fan with a soft spot for Celtic. I discovered the video a while back and thought the song and the story behind it were nice (the charity and the attempt for getting it to number 1; not so much Raemonn getting stabbed).

SLF are under-appreciated in my opinion.
Shame and a bit silly. We're not going to sign anyone better with similar expectations of game time and as you say certainly not anyone with more influence.
Fixtures fixtures fixtures etc.

They look ok, no major complaints from me. Apparently all our CL games have a home game the weekend before and an away the weekend after. Should help us in the group stages so I'm happy about that but probably not the away games.
Reply 1599
What happened to promising midfielder Michael Johnson?

Quick Reply

Latest