The Student Room Group

Big Thread for Personal Statement Questions

Scroll to see replies

kookabura
Anyone who wants PSs looking at - it is worth posting them in the "personal statement help" section. There are two or three of us I think who are go through them pretty throughly - line by line, if anyone wants advice etc :smile:

Mine is already there. Would you be able to take a quick look at my final draft please?
liluvsanimals
Mine is already there. Would you be able to take a quick look at my final draft please?

Sorry, hadn't noticed your final draft - its slipped down onto the second page. The vet med/medicine section is really busy at the moment with posts!

I'll take a look tonight or tomorrow.
kookabura
Sorry, hadn't noticed your final draft - its slipped down onto the second page. The vet med/medicine section is really busy at the moment with posts!

I'll take a look tonight or tomorrow.

Thank you :biggrin:
Reply 43
Would any vet students be willing to take a look at my personal statement? :smile:
jen vet
Would any vet students be willing to take a look at my personal statement? :smile:

I'd be happy to!
(edited 13 years ago)
I am wondering whether it is best to state the number of weeks at each placement, or whether to mention "During my total work experience of XX weeks"?

What have other done? I am just running out of space in my PS and cutting out number of weeks would save me a lot of space.
Why do you need to put the number of weeks?
Reply 47
SilverstarDJ
I am wondering whether it is best to state the number of weeks at each placement, or whether to mention "During my total work experience of XX weeks"?

What have other done? I am just running out of space in my PS and cutting out number of weeks would save me a lot of space.

i said things like during the week i spent at a large animal vet practice i enjoyed learning about....
if you're really concerned about getting in the number of weeks work experience, i'd advise you to type up a very brief list of work experience placements and durations and send this to all the uni's you apply to. This is what i did as i didnt feel my ps made it clear that i'd spent over a year doing work experience at one practice :smile:
Reply 48
hello this is just a quick question about something my careers advisor picked up in my statement.

i've put in there '...becoming a veterinarian' and she doesn't like the use of the word veterinarian as she hasn't heard it before and thinks it's american - she suggested i put veterinary surgeon instead. however it sounds right to me, but my mum is american! so what do you think?
Lucy_x
hello this is just a quick question about something my careers advisor picked up in my statement.

i've put in there '...becoming a veterinarian' and she doesn't like the use of the word veterinarian as she hasn't heard it before and thinks it's american - she suggested i put veterinary surgeon instead. however it sounds right to me, but my mum is american! so what do you think?

She hasn't heard it before? :lolwut: Put veterinary surgeon!
Re the couple of questions people have asked,

I would suggest using veterinary surgeon, veterinarian is sometimes used in the uk, but not very much and tends to been seen as an american term. Generally you should really stick to UK spelling/phrases etc for things. Equally, you should try and avoid shortening things if possible (so stick to veterinary surgeon preferably, rather than 'vet'.)

With regards to number of weeks etc. I would suggest you do try and put in duration of placements, whether as number of days, just a comment of "during my week at..." etc. It is one easy way the uni's can differentiate between applicants pre-interview.
Reply 51
i included timing by saying "during my week at" " after spending 2 weeks in" etc

but i also send a list with my references of place, no of weeks, address and contact number to make it more clear :smile: i only sent this with references though so sent them to edinburgh by oct 15th and took it with references to interview for my other 3.
Reply 52
I know this has been asked may times before. I tried to sift through the forum but I have writers block so to speak.

I just dont know where to start? What to include from how many years ago?

A mini run down of me, I am 26 and was raised in a farming community in Alberta Canada, I am settled in the UK now.

I have worked on a Quarterhorse (QH) and beef ranch, also worked in a dog kennel and horse breeding facility about 10 years ago, when I was young. I also had a small QH breeding/training program when I was about 17. I have always wanted to be a vet and am now working very hard to do so.

I just dont know where to start? Any help, or links would be greatly appreciated
Reply 53
OK I did find some related articles. But I am undecided if i should talk about my previous experience or not?
Talk about previous experience if you can relate it to the course in some way or explain why or how skills you gained would be useful at university on that course. :smile:
Read some example personal statements on here. That will give you idea of structure etc. Write a list of things you want to talk about, focusing mainly on the activities that are relevant to your degree. There's a good place to start :smile:
Yes, talk about previous experience! We have some articles on our PS Help Wiki for writing personal statements as well as some examples you can draw inspiration from :smile:
Reply 57
i'd say it was important to talk about past experiences. especially if they related to or contributed to why you now want to persue veterinary so badly, and turn anything appropriate into evidence of determination, committment etc.

it's also important to explain why you're aiming for vet med later on than a lot of other applicants. some of my feedback from bristol last year (i was rejected before interview) was because i hadnt explained why i hadnt gone straight for vet-med. i took other a-levels before and just dodged around that fact. so thats important.
i know this year part of my opening paragraph was explaining all of the reasons why i didnt take sciences to start with etc and the reasons behind now wanting to do vet med. write about any sacrifices youve had to make in your life to chase your dream and how this shows your ambition.

and further on in you ps, animal work exp, what youve learnt from it, and what you like doing outside of vet meddy related stuff.

thats quite garbled but hope some of it helps.
Reply 58
emmaaa..
i'd say it was important to talk about past experiences. especially if they related to or contributed to why you now want to persue veterinary so badly, and turn anything appropriate into evidence of determination, committment etc.

it's also important to explain why you're aiming for vet med later on than a lot of other applicants. some of my feedback from bristol last year (i was rejected before interview) was because i hadnt explained why i hadnt gone straight for vet-med. i took other a-levels before and just dodged around that fact. so thats important.
i know this year part of my opening paragraph was explaining all of the reasons why i didnt take sciences to start with etc and the reasons behind now wanting to do vet med. write about any sacrifices youve had to make in your life to chase your dream and how this shows your ambition.

and further on in you ps, animal work exp, what youve learnt from it, and what you like doing outside of vet meddy related stuff.

thats quite garbled but hope some of it helps.

this concerns me somewhat as the only reason that i didn't apply for vet med the first time round was because i was rubbish!

i was such an apathetic teenager. my college was really supportive and said i could do chemistry in a year whilst i gained work experience but i couldn't be bothered :o:

how do i explain that without sounding like a moron who doesn't deserve to study vet med?!
Reply 59
schizopear
this concerns me somewhat as the only reason that i didn't apply for vet med the first time round was because i was rubbish!

i was such an apathetic teenager. my college was really supportive and said i could do chemistry in a year whilst i gained work experience but i couldn't be bothered :o:

how do i explain that without sounding like a moron who doesn't deserve to study vet med?!

in some respects i don't think a 16 year can be expected to know what they want to do for their entire life. obviously some do, but not all. For me it wasnt not being bothered to take chemistry but rather a lack of confidence to aim for vet med and that i'd be good enough, and a couple of other more personal things. which you could consider whether confidence in getting the grades played a part maybe.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending