The Student Room Group

Big Thread for Personal Statement Questions

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
emmaaa..
For me it wasnt not being bothered to take chemistry but rather a lack of confidence to aim for vet med and that i'd be good enough, and a couple of other more personal things. which you could consider whether confidence in getting the grades played a part maybe.

See now how are you going to put this in a personal statement?

In high school I struggled with math's, physics and chemistry as well. So I couldn't go straight into vet med, no confidence in grades. but now I work damn hard for my marks in my BSc degree.

I have always wanted to be a vet, But I dont know how to put why I didn't go straight for Vet med? Very difficult indeed
Just try explaining is similar to how you have done here - that recently taking chemistry a-level (or whatever) gave you the confidence to pursue your long term aim of studying vet med etc...

It is about trying to show that this is something you have thought about, rather than just applied because it looks interesting :smile:
Reply 62
I am currently in my third year of a BSc Hons Animal Science degree and I am trying hard for a first! I currently have a 2.1

But I made the decision to be a Vet, something I always wanted to do, but finally decided to go for it! Believe in myself sort of thing because of the knock back in high school. So that is what made me do my degree, my ambition to be a vet...

I just dont know what to say as to why I waited so long to apply to vet school?
Reply 63
misswager
I am currently in my third year of a BSc Hons Animal Science degree and I am trying hard for a first! I currently have a 2.1

But I made the decision to be a Vet, something I always wanted to do, but finally decided to go for it! Believe in myself sort of thing because of the knock back in high school. So that is what made me do my degree, my ambition to be a vet...

I just dont know what to say as to why I waited so long to apply to vet school?

you could say that learning about such and such at degree level reignited your passion for veterinary medicine.... but word it better than that lol
Anyone have the time to help me cut mine down again?
Reply 65
liluvsanimals
Anyone have the time to help me cut mine down again?

i will if you want :smile:
Reply 66
Would anyone be willing to read mine. Its 249 characters over!!!
Rachhyyyy
i will if you want :smile:

Thanks so much. I will pm it to you right away :smile:
Is it a total swear word in the face of UCAS to literally list my work experience and then go on to expand on a few of the most important ones? Or do I literally have to go on to talk about all of them if i want to put them down even though I have twelve placements to write about and not enough characters and some of them arent so riveting such as picking up cat poo for a year? What do i do advice please?? Do admissions not appreciate lists!!!? Am i not going to get in now? thanks
Reply 69
misswager
Would anyone be willing to read mine. Its 249 characters over!!!

i dont mind :smile: i dont no how helpful i was remvng things from iluvsanimals :o: but m happy to give it a quick read through if u still want someone too :smile:
Reply 70
Rachhyyyy
i dont mind :smile: i dont no how helpful i was remvng things from iluvsanimals :o: but m happy to give it a quick read through if u still want someone too :smile:

Yes please! I cut it down a bit, but still have to add some things in! ahhh I will pm it you you very soon
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1411173 ?

Yes, inevitably cleaning is part of many work experience placements but what did you learn aside from that? Have you increased your confidence of being around animals for instance? You don't need to describe in detail what you did at every placement, just mention the most important ones and sell yourself.
Reply 72
meganluffman
Is it a total swear word in the face of UCAS to literally list my work experience and then go on to expand on a few of the most important ones? Or do I literally have to go on to talk about all of them if i want to put them down even though I have twelve placements to write about and not enough characters and some of them arent so riveting such as picking up cat poo for a year? What do i do advice please?? Do admissions not appreciate lists!!!? Am i not going to get in now? thanks

i listed and am at vet school right now :smile:
Reply 73
nicola92
i listed and am at vet school right now :smile:

This.
:yep:
Reply 74
SilverstarDJ
I am wondering whether it is best to state the number of weeks at each placement, or whether to mention "During my total work experience of XX weeks"?

What have other done? I am just running out of space in my PS and cutting out number of weeks would save me a lot of space.

Make sure you write the exact no. of weeks even saying ' 5 weeks spent at X i did...' . I left it out and was told in feedback that it was a big big mistake!

Good luck everyone!
Reply 75
just a quick last minute question - rvc have on their website they want the dates for your work experience and i was wondering where you put this on. it's not on my personal statement so i was wondering whether you attatch an additional sheet (if this is allowed (?))

Reply 76
Lucy_x
just a quick last minute question - rvc have on their website they want the dates for your work experience and i was wondering where you put this on. it's not on my personal statement so i was wondering whether you attatch an additional sheet (if this is allowed (?))

I didn't apply to RVC, but for the other Unis I sent them a mini booklet with all of my references on with a covering sheet including the dates of my placements. Bristol wanted these when I was called to interview but Cambridge, Notts and Glasgow wanted these sent in advance, if I remember correctly.
Reply 77
Lucy_x

They give you a work experience questionnaire thing if you're called to interview, if I remember correctly. You have to fill out a sheet for each placement, which takes forever if you have like 11.
Reply 78
steph_v
They give you a work experience questionnaire thing if you're called to interview, if I remember correctly. You have to fill out a sheet for each placement, which takes forever if you have like 11.

yeah i thought it would be that and then i read this on their website:

You must state clearly on your UCAS application form the dates and length of time spent on each work experience. You are not required to send further work experience references in addition to your UCAS application.

so i've put the length of each placement in their but not the dates so i was wondering whether you attatch an addition sheet or not hmm :\

thanks anyway!!
Reply 79
there was ALOT of confusion with glasgow and refs last year, in the end i got an email reply from them saying they want them at interview and NOT before. but make sure u check for THIS YEARS ENTRY. IT MAY OF CHANGED.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending