The Student Room Group

i need help.. really urgent! about a level choies

1. my current choices for a levels are maths further maths economics biology and chemistry but i actually have no clue what i want to do in the future

2. i want to add french to my alevels course and kick out one of the sciences which one is more useful to stay?

3. if i only do one science in my alevels does that mean i cannot do anything medical-related in uni?

4. is it better if i get a degree on medicine and THEN do MBA for economics/business?

5. i actually really wanna do law and even though i got an A* in my gcse history im pretty sure i wont be able to cope.. does that mean there is no way i can do law?
Reply 1
Hi, well this is the advice I can offer you, last year I picked ASs which I thought I'd do to keep my options open but it was tedious and I didn't enjoy it so I'm starting afresh, I'm doing history with only an a at gcse don't be put off by the work loud. For medicine you only need chem, bio is of litte use, I'd recommend chem history and maths A levels and u pick whatever for fourth as level, but that combo keeps options open for law medicine and business because it demonstrates variety and intellectual ability (ps my friends were suicidal doing 3 hours of maths a day) many have had to re sit cos of failing due to maths overload and they are very clever as it is a grammar school, so only take it if u enjoy it but further maths really is only of use for things like aeronautical engineering, hope this helped!
Reply 2
if you choose maths, further maths, chemistry and biology then you can pretty much do any course in uni as long as you get good grades.
Reply 3
white_dragon337
1. my current choices for a levels are maths further maths economics biology and chemistry but i actually have no clue what i want to do in the future

2. i want to add french to my alevels course and kick out one of the sciences which one is more useful to stay?

Chemistry. However, the subject you need least of those ^ is Economics. (You do not need Economics to study Economics; Further Maths is much more useful.) So I would do:

Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Biology, French

3. if i only do one science in my alevels does that mean i cannot do anything medical-related in uni?

No it doesn't rule it out (assuming you have Chemistry to A2), though it would be required to have Biology to at least AS for many medical schools (not all but many). Not having Chemistry would limit your medical school options much more severely.

4. is it better if i get a degree on medicine and THEN do MBA for economics/business?

As you like. However, if you don't want to be a doctor or a research scientist, a degree in medicine is a waste of time (a waste of two years, at least, since a medical degree is at least five years vs three years of a (say) Economics degree).

5. i actually really wanna do law and even though i got an A* in my gcse history im pretty sure i wont be able to cope.. does that mean there is no way i can do law?

There are no specifically required subjects for law. You would be fine. If you don't want to study law, you can also do a one-year law conversion course after completion of ANY undergraduate degree.
Reply 4
llys
Chemistry. However, the subject you need least of those ^ is Economics. (You do not need Economics to study Economics; Further Maths is much more useful.) So I would do:

Having Economics instead of French would be much more useful for Economics application.
Reply 5
goldsilvy
Having Economics instead of French would be much more useful for Economics application.

It would be useful to show s/he's interested in Economics, but it is not required for admission to any Economics degree as far as I know. (And OP doesn't know what s/he wants to study yet, but wants to do French A-Level.)
llys

No it doesn't rule it out (assuming you have Chemistry to A2), though it would be required to have Biology to at least AS for many medical schools (not all but many). Not having Chemistry to A2 would limit your medical school options much more severely.

As you like. However, if you don't want to be a doctor or a research scientist, a degree in medicine is a waste of time (a waste of two years, at least, since a medical degree is at least five years vs three years of a (say) Economics degree).

There are no specifically required subjects for law. You would be fine. If you don't want to study law, you can also do a one-year law conversion course after completion of ANY undergraduate degree.

i've picked history geography maths and biology and plan to do them all to A2 so are you trying to say with these subjects even if i get good results most good medical unis won't be interested
littleangel9914
i've picked history geography maths and biology and plan to do them all to A2 so are you trying to say with these subjects even if i get good results most good medical unis won't be interested

You need Chemistry to do Medicine, even I know that.
Reply 8
littleangel9914

Check the link I posted; only UEA medical school does not require Chemistry, and possibly Newcastle. So, you can still apply for Medicine, and you could still get in @UEA, but you have severely limited your choice of med schools.

(Just saw: Peninsula also seems not to require Chemistry.)
TheProdigy2k9
You need Chemistry to do Medicine, even I know that.

yeah but isn't biology more relevant and do u need chemistry a 100% to do medicine or do they just like it if you have it
you've really worried me now
sukhyd
further maths really is only of use for things like aeronautical engineering

Further maths is necessary for some maths courses (at certain Oxbridge colleges) and extremely useful for all maths and physics courses. Economics, on the other hand, isn't necessary for any university courses.

OP, if you think you might want to do medicine, hang onto that chemistry. There's no reason why you won't be able to do A-level history, though; if you're worried about the workload, you shouldn't be doing further maths.
littleangel9914
yeah but isn't biology more relevant and do u need chemistry a 100% to do medicine or do they just like it if you have it
you've really worried me now

No, you want to do Medicine and you haven't even researched what subjects you need? I've never had an interest in Medicine and even I know this.
I'm sure most, if not all ask for A2 Chemistry.
Reply 12
white_dragon337

If you want to do Law, then:

Maths, Further Maths, History and French would be an ideal choice for AS/A2.

If you want to do medicine, then:

Maths, Further Maths, Biology, Chemistry, then drop Biology after AS.
Reply 13
NickB91

Maths, Further Maths, Biology, Chemistry, then drop Biology after AS.

Just a quick note: Many medical schools do not accept Maths and Further Maths as separate subjects at A2, so to have three separate subjects s/he could not drop Biology after AS. If s/he took those subjects s/he should take all four to A2 or drop Further Maths after AS.

It's perfectly possible to take five AS though and drop down to four including further maths; in that case Biology could be dropped after AS.
Reply 14
llys
Just a quick note: Many medical schools do not accept Maths and Further Maths as separate subjects at A2, so to have three separate subjects s/he could not drop Biology after AS. If s/he took those subjects s/he should take all four to A2 or drop Further Maths after AS.

:oops:

I did not know this! Thanks for the correction. In that case, what Ilys said.

Latest