The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Scroll to see replies

It's irritating how both group 2 and 3 (and even 1 it seems!!) are considered for the balllot! But meh that's the way it's done I guess, just need to make the best out of it.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
matt2k8
It's irritating how both group 2 and 3 (and even 1 it seems!!) are considered for the balllot! But meh that's the way it's done I guess, just need to make the best out of it.

If the ballot occurs in group 1 then we have to start asking questions :p:
TheTallOne
If the ballot occurs in group 1 then we have to start asking questions :p:

I saw someone post on here that even though they have a medical condition that requires ensuite with a bath, they got put into Westwood sharing :\
matt2k8
I saw someone post on here that even though they have a medical condition that requires ensuite with a bath, they got put into Westwood sharing :\

Yeah, sometimes they are like that. Mobility normally takes precedence over the rest of the medical conditions. They also have to gauge whether they think it is serious enough as well.
Reply 24
TheTallOne
They won't change their mind. That's the only offer you will get. Things will sort out after 4 weeks anyway and you will be in single rooms. Westwood sharing is only temporary. You or someone else will move out either to another place on campus or off campus.

Warwick have set targets when it comes to offers. The number of places offered can't simply be limited by the number of places on campus. Second years have to live off campus. Some final years have to live off campus.

If everyone had to live on campus then Warwick will be 6 times smaller than it is now.

Warwick Accommodation has come up with solutions in order to deal with this situation. They add an additional 75 places on campus as a reserve (150 people share rooms in Westwood). Some of these 75 people will then take up places at empty/no shows in other rooms on campus. The rest will be offered off campus accommodation. There are then 150 off campus places at Liberty Park, a hall shared with Cov uni students. The rest then will have to live off campus in smaller houses.

There is an allocation system in place to try and give accommodation fairly. There are 4 priority groups:
1) Medical reasons mean they are top priority.
2) Firm Warwick and apply for accommodation by 31st July, meet the offer by 31st August.
3) Insure Warwick and apply for accommodation by 31st July, meet the offer by 31st August.
4) Apply after 31st July, miss offer and come in via clearing, etc.

If the places on campus fills up by group 3, a random ballot is used to determine if you are on or off campus. Group 4 is done on a first come, first served basis.

All this information would have been available when you apply: WA has a strategy and policy here: http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/accommodation/studentaccommodation/all/campus/accommodation_strategy_and_policy.pdf

I understand this, but as I was in group 2, surely I should have had priority of a single room on campus. It's just so frustrating - If I was told I would have to share a room 6 months ago, I would have chosen an alternative University. As much as I love Warwick, accommodation is a factor.
Adamn
I understand this, but as I was in group 2, surely I should have had priority of a single room on campus. It's just so frustrating - If I was told I would have to share a room 6 months ago, I would have chosen an alternative University. As much as I love Warwick, accommodation is a factor.

"Students joining the University for the first year of a full-time, first degree course (please note that this does not include students on the MBChB Medical School degree course) are given priority for a room on campus."

That's what it says, nothing about single/shared. But if you met the group 2 conditions, including apply and firm before 31st July, AND keep the course the same (ie you can't chance course after then) AND meet the offer by 31st August then while a single room isn't guaranteed you should** be given it rather than an insurance candidate who gets a single room.

You could go an query them on that. matt2k8 you could try and do the same as well.

Whether it will result in anything I don't know. Perhaps they might give to higher preference if you want to move out to the empty rooms elsewhere on campus.

EDIT: ** By 'should' I mean ethically, not that it is protocol.
I'm going to email them asking about the priority for moving into single rooms. It really is horrible how they put firmers into sharing but let some insurance into halls but I assume they can't go back now :frown:
Note that the email said we were being asked to live sharing in Westwood, and to reply stating whether we would accept this or not. It didn't say what the alternative was if we declined, whether they were just looking for enough people to volunteer and then if enough people did then we'd get somewhere closer, or that if we declined then we'd be put in an off campus residence. I replied querying this, I'll have Westwood sharing as a last resort if I can't get into any others, but I'd rather put up a fight for one that was actually in my five choices. I don't mind sharing, the distance just annoys me. The fact that I was in group 2 was even more annoying.
I can only wait until the morning I suppose.
Reply 28
yeah is it that we are being asked or 'asked' (as in we have no other choice)
how long will this take to fix?
also its really unfair if insurance offers have got proper accomodation when as a type 2 possibly type 1 (at a push) dont. i even filled out the form on the day it was out to avoid this
does anyone know what constitutes a type 1 by the way?
Reply 29
I'm in westwood sharing, at least i get cheaper rent for a time :-) though i am pretty annoyed atm. I think i will just wait untill my roomate moves out so i can have a lovely large westwood room all to myself :-D
Reply 30
well i'm not happy at all
but hoping for a good roomate in the first few days and then hopefully i will have moved out but will probs be spending a few nights on the floor of my friends room as i dont think that at 4 in the morning i will want to walk ages back to my accomodation
does anyone know how far is it from the history department by any chance?
Reply 31
ive been put into westwood as well. are all rooms sharing? in my accomm offer it says westwood. not westwood sharing. Does this mean mines a single?
Reply 32
cheesey_item
Note that the email said we were being asked to live sharing in Westwood, and to reply stating whether we would accept this or not. It didn't say what the alternative was if we declined, whether they were just looking for enough people to volunteer and then if enough people did then we'd get somewhere closer, or that if we declined then we'd be put in an off campus residence. I replied querying this, I'll have Westwood sharing as a last resort if I can't get into any others, but I'd rather put up a fight for one that was actually in my five choices. I don't mind sharing, the distance just annoys me. The fact that I was in group 2 was even more annoying.
I can only wait until the morning I suppose.

I've been put into westwood sharing as well!! It's really disappointing to be honest, I firmed warwick and applied for accomodation the day they notified me. I don't get why we group 2 people have to share rooms, just isnt fair at all.

I emailed them asking the same thing as well cheesy_item, so here's to hoping we won't have to end up sharing rooms at westwood
Just found out firmers do get priority for going into rooms when they open up. Is still proper annoying though how some insurance students got rooms over us!!
Reply 34
Pretty sure Westwood was either my 5th or 6th choice of accom, so very disappointed. 18 people per kitchen is actually ridiculous. As soon as a space opens up, I'm out. It's actually stopped me looking forward to uni; instead I am dreading the awkwardness of room sharing with a complete stranger.

It says we get two beds, but it doesn't mention desks. Do we get two desks? Or do we have to share, like we have to share our personal space and our kitchen and our bathroom?
Reply 35
screenager2004
A 15 minute walk, depending on how fast you walk. The two guys in my hall who did chemistry were adamant it only took them 10, but I suspect they were power-walking!

As one of those two...

Westwoods a pretty nice place to live, is great for chem. A lot of your lectures will be in physics or the science concourse, which allows you the option of the cheeky back entrance as we called it; going into the small building towards the rear of physics and heading across the walkway into physics. Given lectures dont actually start till 9:05 am, it was perfectly possible to leave at 8:50 and get there with time to find a seat and despair at life for a couple of mins before the yapping starts.

As a chem student, you'll soon get inducted into the morning horror show that is labs. Twice a week, generally thursdays and fridays (though they seem to have mucked with the timetable this year so don't take that as gospel). 11-4 in theory, though you generall have to be there for 10 to hand in pre-lab assignments, and then you'll have the weekend to do your lab reports, which are always a barell of laughs.

This generally means your lectures will be squeezed into the two and a half days remaining, monday tuesday and wednesday morning. The timetable is rarely the same from week to week so pay attention, its easy to get mixed up, but in general expect most days to have a 9 or 10am start. Westwood actually has advantages here: the walk wakes you up slightly if your hanging, its close enough to tesco (5-7min walk) that you can go via there for breakfast if you find your cupboard empty and theres often someone else in the kitchen to have breakfast with.

Get involved in your halls society, with 450+ people living on westwood your unlikely to meet many otherwise, and last year they put on some decent stuff like westwoods got talent. Also the westwood BBQ at the end of the year is simply amazing, make sure your there. Have a great time, you'll love it if your year was anything like mine! :biggrin:

EDIT:
To help reply to earlier Qs: sharing means they literally throw a second bed into a normal single room, so one of everything save beds. Don't worry too much about room sharing, its a squeeze for the first couple of weeks but warwick are fairly speedy at sorting it out and once one of you moves it will be much improoved. If you REALLY dont get on with your sharer, you can get moved to a different arrangement quite quickly i belive, but those people i know who shared last year didnt have any majorly negative experiences. Westwood is chosen for overspill sharing simply because it has the largest rooms, it wouldnt work in any other halls.
Adamn
Pretty sure Westwood was either my 5th or 6th choice of accom, so very disappointed. 18 people per kitchen is actually ridiculous. As soon as a space opens up, I'm out. It's actually stopped me looking forward to uni; instead I am dreading the awkwardness of room sharing with a complete stranger.

It says we get two beds, but it doesn't mention desks. Do we get two desks? Or do we have to share, like we have to share our personal space and our kitchen and our bathroom?

Share the one big desk I think. And I know exactly how you feel, I'm dreading the sharing too but I have no other real option :\.
I've just been told that the alternative is off-campus accomodation, so I've had to accept their offer as the main issue for me is distance. I wouldn't even mind sharing at all if it was somewhere like Tocil. All I can do now is wait to be reallocated.
I don't like how they didn't originally say that it's either Westwood sharing or off-campus, as they basically assume a single room off campus is worse than Westwood sharing for everyone.
Reply 39
I've replied to their email, saying I would be happy to share my room with somebody else, but I still haven't received the official accommodation offer. How long do you think it will take them to make one? I've emailed them asking about that but they don't seem to eager to answer my question... (They did respond to my "I would be happy to share" email, though, saying "Thank you for your email"... should I write to them saying "I wish to accept this offer of a shared single room at Westwood for the first few weeks of the 2010/11 academic year" to make it all official? ... lol

Latest