The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

mel0n
What's the difference between the two figures? (7% and 3%) apart from the obvious 4% difference? I mean, what's the difference between '7% got A*s in certain exams' and '3% of the population actually got an A* overall'? :colondollar: I'm a bit dopey.

For example, I got 141/150 in my final Chemistry exam. That's 94%. That would be classed as an A* grade in that paper. However, I didn't get an A* overall, which means that although I contributed to the 7% of people getting an A* grade in an exam, I didn't contribute to the 3% of people actually being awarded an A* aggregate grade.

Is that clearer?
Reply 81
DFranklin
http://www.ase.org.uk/htm/members_area/journals/ssr/ssr_june_04pdf/compultion-pg33.pdf
http://www.omnesamici.co.uk/CGS52gceExaminationPapers.html
http://www.omnesamici.co.uk/CGSanalysisChristopherBird2005.html
How do these help or hurt the point that subject had vast bits taken out? This was so more people had the chance doing doing A-level at all. How much by the Labour Government under Blair? Would this have occurred if Conservitives had managed to stayed in or not?
What think of the last link? I find that last link interesting. Are there any other reasons why much of the content in Maths and Science Subjects have been taken out?
DFranklin
A question from 1971 that doesn't use anything off the current syllabus:

(i) If x+y = a and xy = b express x3+y3x^3+y^3 in terms of a and b.

simply write x +y in terms of x, a and b then make x the subject, slot it into the x^3 part, do the same for y.

DFranklin

If p+p1=3p + p^{-1} = 3 find the value of p3+p3p^3 + p^{-3}.

(P+1/p)^2=9...
p^2 +p^-2=7

(p+p^-1)^3=27
P^3+p^-3=(p+p^-1)^3 -3(p^2 +p^-2) = 27-9=18

DFranklin

(ii) Show that x-1 is a factor of xm1x^m - 1 for all postiive integers m.

(1 +x +x^2 +x^3.....x^(m-2) +x^(m-1))(x-1)= x^m -1 all other terms cancel out.

DFranklin

Prove 76n7676^n - 76 is an exact multiple of 100 for all positive integers n > 1.

76(76^n-1-1)... the last digit of (76^n-1-1 ) will always be 5.
=

edit got it- you can write
76^n - 76
=76(76^(n-1)-1)
= 76(76^(n-1/2)-1)(76^(n-1/2)-1)
...the two terms in brackets are both factors of 5 because 76^n will be an integer ending in 6, and 6-1 is 5. therefore the expression is divisible by 100 for n-1=2k. However if n is even lol I dunno :P...wait got it

edit no.2 for even n

(76^(n/2)-1)(76^(n/2)+1)-75
=(k*5)(n*5)-(3*5*5)
(nk-3)(25)

(76^(n/2)-1)=(k*5), (n*5)=(76^(n/2)+1)

therefore it can be seen that
the expression is a multiple of 2 5's.....
but from
76(76^(n-1)-1)
=4*9(76^n-1-1) it can be seen expression is a factor of 4 also

therefore we have proved the case for n is even.

oh yeaaaah 76^n-76 is a multiple of 100!!!!

Another question:
DFranklin

If secθcosecθ=±p\sec \theta - \text{cosec} \theta = \pm p, prove that p2sin22θ+4sin2θ4=0p^2 \sin^2 2\theta + 4 \sin 2\theta - 4 = 0 and conversely that if p2sin22θ+4sin2θ4=0p^2 \sin^2 2\theta + 4 \sin 2\theta - 4 = 0 then secθcosecθ=±p\sec \theta - \text{cosec} \theta = \pm p.

Hence find, to the nearest minute(*) the two values of θ\theta in the range 0o0^o to 360o360^o which satisfy the equation secθcosecθ=125\sec \theta - \text{cosec} \theta = \frac{1}{2}\sqrt{5}

TOO EASY CBA
(*) For people who don't understand what this means, you can solve it to 2 d.p. instead (which is a little easier). But also remember that back then, you had no calculator, just tables.

Who says A-levels were harder back in the day.

bloody hell the 76^n-76 took me some time....the rest were ok
methusaleh
simply write x +y in terms of x, a and b then make x the subject, slot it into the x^3 part, do the same for y.

(P+1/p)^2=9...
p^2 +p^-2=7

(p+p^-1)^3=27

(x^m/2-1)(x^m/2+1)=(x^m/4+1)(X^m/4-1)(X^m/2+1) etc
eventually you will get a term m/n=1

76(76^n-1-1)... the last digit of (76^n-1-1 ) will always be 5.
=

(36^N-36)(2^N+2)
(36(36^N-1)(2^N+2)
(36(6^n-1+1)(6^n-1)(2^N+2)
36((6^n-1-1)(3^n-1+3)(2^n-1-2)(2^N+2)
4*9(6^n-1-1)(3^n-1+3)(2^n-1-2)(2^N+2)

(6^n-1) is a factor of 5, always

this 1 is more tricky cant find a second factor of 5... I will edit post once i get the solution

Another question:

TOO EASY CBA
(*) For people who don't understand what this means, you can solve it to 2 d.p. instead (which is a little easier). But also remember that back then, you had no calculator, just tables.

What in God's name is that? Jesus wept, I'm glad I don't do maths, that is bat sh*t crazy.
I sat my A-levels in 1991. My offer for the university of Cambridge was (the then standard) AAB. It was the case then that if you undershot, it was still worth calling them to see if they'd been unable to fill the places on the offers made. Anyone getting 3 As would be photographed in the local press. 4 As would see you in the national press and called "boy/girl genius" by the Daily Mail.

And at that time a far smaller percentage of 16-18 year olds sat A-levels. Even going into the 6th form or to college was quite a big deal: "The Sixth form, is it? The Sixth Form, no less? We shall have to call you The Professor".

20 years ago, 20% of the population (selected for their being bright) were doing A-levels, and 10% of these got an A in any given subject. Now, >50% are doing A-levels, and as many as 33% of these get an A in any subject. But possibly it is because "the teaching is better", yes.

I didn't get my AAB, in the interests of full-disclosure. Completely fouled up Economics and went to the University of York, my reserve choice for which I was holding an offer of BCC. Yes, that got you into York way back when.
A LEVELS are harder than they used to be because of poorer teaching across the UK.
Reply 86
exams aren't getting easier
it's just that our elders are thick
maybe i'll come across as arrogant here but i know very few people older than me that i'd consider more intelligent/educated (not the same thing I know, but there's certainly a link between the two) than me and a number of people i know
i put that down to the fact that teaching has improved somewhat though rather than anything else
munn

maybe i'll come across as arrogant here...

ah, what you've done is to confuse "arrogant" and "ridiculous".
Reply 88
methusaleh

(P+1/p)^2=9...
p^2 +p^-2=7

(p+p^-1)^3=27

Now I'm sure there's an easier way to work out that second part, once you've worked out the first part anyway.

x+y=ax+y=a
(x+y)3(x+y)^3
=x3+y3+3x2y+3xy2=a3=x^3+y^3+3x^{2}y+3xy^{2}=a^3
x3+y3=a33x2y3xy2x^3+y^3=a^3-3x^{2}y-3xy^{2}

xy=bxy=b
x=byx=\frac{b}{y}
y=bxy=\frac{b}{x}
so

x3+y3=a33x2bx3byy2x^3+y^3=a^3-3x^{2}\frac{b}{x}-3\frac{b}{y}y^{2}
x3+y3=a33bx3byx^3+y^3=a^3-3bx-3by
x3+y3=a33b(x+y)x^3+y^3=a^3-3b(x+y)
x3+y3=a33abx^3+y^3=a^3-3ab

for the second part, you have p+1p=3p+\frac{1}{p}=3

so let x=p and y=1/p and hence xy=1

then a=3 and b=1
so x^3+y^3=p^3+1/(p^3)=3^3-(3*3*1)=27-9=18

so you have the right answer you've just wasted time doing it
Reply 89
cambio wechsel
ah, what you've done is to confuse "arrogant" and "ridiculous".

oh yer me so dumb me forget words sometimes me so stupid
Reply 90
When I hear "two decades ago", I think the 70s/80s. Odd. :3
Reply 91
ilickbatteries
Given that medicine is the hardest/most respected course (IMO) that is rather significant. If someone off here got BBC and went to med school they'd be bloody ructions on! :biggrin:

Purely supply and demand of spaces mate. Way more people apply to uni these days and to courses like medicine. A levels aren't easier. People are making use of the resources; technology and revsion guides that teach directly to the exam with no extra material, past papers and use the syllabus guide to cover everything. Also teaching is better and mroe direct to the exam too. In general people are more in the know about what they need to learn and the resources to do so are much better. All this has contributed to grade inflation. At an Aston oen day for Pharmacy a while back I was told the onlyreason the requirement is ABB; supply and demand of spaces. It's nothing more; u dont need those grades to be able to handle the course. Chemistry degree is meant to be hader i hear but easier to get onto because its less popular. If the number of med school appliacnts went down by 50% next year or something riddiculous I guarantee grade requirements would drop.
Reply 92
cambio wechsel
I sat my A-levels in 1991. My offer for the university of Cambridge was (the then standard) AAB. It was the case then that if you undershot, it was still worth calling them to see if they'd been unable to fill the places on the offers made. Anyone getting 3 As would be photographed in the local press. 4 As would see you in the national press and called "boy/girl genius" by the Daily Mail.

And at that time a far smaller percentage of 16-18 year olds sat A-levels. Even going into the 6th form or to college was quite a big deal: "The Sixth form, is it? The Sixth Form, no less? We shall have to call you The Professor".

20 years ago, 20% of the population (selected for their being bright) were doing A-levels, and 10% of these got an A in any given subject. Now, >50% are doing A-levels, and as many as 33% of these get an A in any subject. But possibly it is because "the teaching is better", yes.

I didn't get my AAB, in the interests of full-disclosure. Completely fouled up Economics and went to the University of York, my reserve choice for which I was holding an offer of BCC. Yes, that got you into York way back when.

Ahh u guys had it easy with grades lol because the demand for spaces was less, NOT because it was harder.
Reply 93
im so academic
Imo it's hard to compare papers as they would have different specifications etc. But I feel A-levels have gone easier mostly because of retakes and modules, and to a lesser extent, the (lack of) content.

E.g. before in Maths there was Pure Maths, and now we have Core Maths with Core 1 being what used to be in the O-level papers.

I think retakes makes them harder. Your knowledge of a subject improves over time. By the end of A levels I thought "imagine if i sat unit 1 now for a subject" it jsut seemed so easy. My econ teacher told me At first year A level he was getting C/Ds in econ but his understanding improved by the end of seocnd year where he got A. However, maybe for subecjts like Biology which modules are unrelated ("plants" and "the human body having modules is easier because the topics have no correlation so u can remember less. But with things like Chem and Eco, modules is harder!For sure!
Reply 94
im so academic
Imo it's hard to compare papers as they would have different specifications etc. But I feel A-levels have gone easier mostly because of retakes and modules, and to a lesser extent, the (lack of) content.

E.g. before in Maths there was Pure Maths, and now we have Core Maths with Core 1 being what used to be in the O-level papers.

I reckon u can't compare papers because we've been taught/trained to pass the kind of exams we're gonna be taking. If we were taught to pass their exams it'd be even. So us finding their papers hard proves nothing.
methusaleh
Who says A-levels were harder back in the day.You wouldn't actually get many marks for what you've written (and that doesn't bode well for all the bits where you just said "I can do this" but didn't actually do so).
cambio wechsel
I sat my A-levels in 1991. My offer for the university of Cambridge was (the then standard) AAB. It was the case then that if you undershot, it was still worth calling them to see if they'd been unable to fill the places on the offers made. Anyone getting 3 As would be photographed in the local press. 4 As would see you in the national press and called "boy/girl genius" by the Daily Mail.Well, I sat my A-levels in the 80's. The standard offer from Cambridge was AAA1 or AAA22 (for both Maths and NatSci). At my school, there were 4 people who got AAAA the year I took M/FM A-levels, and this was at a comprehensive school. (It was a freak year, to be fair).

I left school with 6 A-level grade A's, and that was only 'local paper' coverage, nothing national.

When I went to Churchill, Cambridge, I'd guess that 98% of people (who'd taken A-levels as opposed to different exams) had AAA; for maths I found that at least 80% had AAAA11. There were many people with 5 A-level grade A's. (FM and General Studies tended to be "extra" A-levels).
felt_monkey
I think the main problem is retakes. 90% of the people I know wouldn't have got the grades they got without retaking units. That's why I don't think it's necessarily a content problem, although I'm sure it's got a bit easier.

Remember almost everyone in the "good old days" did internal end of year exams at the end of the 4th form and lower 6th (as they were called in those days) and often mock A levels around Christmas time of upper 6th. There were no shortage of exams, it was simply that they were not public exams.
DFranklin
Well, I sat my A-levels in the 80's. The standard offer from Cambridge was AAA1 or AAA22 (for both Maths and NatSci). At my school, there were 4 people who got AAAA the year I took M/FM A-levels, and this was at a comprehensive school. (It was a freak year, to be fair).

I left school with 6 A-level grade A's, and that was only 'local paper' coverage, nothing national.

When I went to Churchill, Cambridge, I'd guess that 98% of people (who'd taken A-levels as opposed to different exams) had AAA; for maths I found that at least 80% had AAAA11. There were many people with 5 A-level grade A's. (FM and General Studies tended to be "extra" A-levels).

Had the 4th and 7th term entrance exams been abolished by the time you took A levels? If they still existed, you were unrepresentative in having a conditional offer at all. More than half of the students admitted would have had EE offers having sat the Cambridge exam or unconditional offers having sat the entrance exam post-A level (I do not know whether Cambridge had an equivalent of Oxford's Hertford Scheme or Matriculation Offer which was EE but no exam).

Traditionally Oxford's conditional offer was ABB to Cambridge's AAB as Oxford took the view that it did not want to lose a candidate it thought worthy for one minor slip.

At Oxford from 1983 I knew very few people with 4 or more A levels and for most 4 A level candidates the 4th A level was either general studies (then as now regarded as lightweight) or they did some version of double maths (depending on the exam board that would be maths/further maths or pure maths/applied maths or pure maths/statistics).

The other thing you do not mention is GCE S level. Most Oxbridge candidates would have done at least one S level.
I read an A level text book from 95, the concepts seemed much more advanced but may be it was because I didn't have a teacher explaining them.

Latest