The Student Room Group

The "Are my grades good enough for Maths..." Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 420
Original post by officeface

Ok, I hope I am not being stupid in my Uni choices. Here goes. "Am I good enough? blah blah.."

So. A* in Maths having done it all in a year.
C1-100
C2-88 (minor blip.. never sure why I didn't retake this in May, but hey)
C3-100
C4-94
M1-89
S1-93

Doing F. Maths this year and Additional F. Maths in my own time. Got A for Physics AS last year and another minor blip in deciding to do a Philosophy AS :smile: Got a C, realised it sucked for me, so dropped it.. but I'm still doing 4 A-Levels with the two Maths courses this year. GCSEs were 5 A*s, 8 As.

Onto Universities!

Oxford
Durham
Bristol
UCL
St Andrews

Not sure how hopeful these are - I already have the A* in maths and have been predicted A* in all my other A levels (Although of course that isn't a certified indicator of what I actually get).
My main problem is that on the UCAS application, I cannot include my A* as I did it in a year and it hasn't been certificated.
I'm no expert on the UCAS process, but something about this doesn't sound right. Regardless of who told you this, get a second opinion on it. Also bear in mind that the way you do further maths (maths in year 12, further maths in year 13) is quite standard so universities would be expecting to see something like this. Even if the form won't let you put on your A*, you could still ask whoever writes your reference to mention it as it's quite important.
This means that Uni offers may not include it and so I may find myself having to get 3 A Levels at A/A* on top of it.
You would normally be asked for three A-level grades, and the maths A* would form one of them.
So at the moment my application reads AAC for AS-level which is hardly fitting for those Universities. I'll have to put on the old boyish charm and convince them I am worth it!

Oxford is very competitive and yes, the C in philosophy could very well count against you.

Durham, Bristol, UCL, St Andrews you have a very good chance.

A few of those are asking for how you did in the individual modules. The marks you got are pretty good so that shouldn't be a problem.
Okay I'm so confused about where I'd like to study, of course I would like to study maths because I enjoy it

My GCSEs aren't fantastic: A*AAAABBBB
MY AS's didnt go according to plan, but I am planning on retaking, they are:

History A
Religious Studies B
Maths C
Economics C (dropped)

As far as unis go I'd like to go somewhere good, perhaps somewhere like Nottingham as these unis don't say you need FM to apply.

What are my chances? :colondollar:
Original post by bitchplease
Okay I'm so confused about where I'd like to study, of course I would like to study maths because I enjoy it

My GCSEs aren't fantastic: A*AAAABBBB
MY AS's didnt go according to plan, but I am planning on retaking, they are:

History A
Religious Studies B
Maths C
Economics C (dropped)

As far as unis go I'd like to go somewhere good, perhaps somewhere like Nottingham as these unis don't say you need FM to apply.

What are my chances? :colondollar:

If I'm being totally honest, your chances aren't good at all. A grade C in AS maths suggests that you won't be able to cope with a maths degree; and the fact that you got an A in History either suggests that you didn't have any circumstances which may have limited your exam performance or you're better suited to history.

If a gap year is a possible path for you and you feel that you can get that maths grade up to an A or an A* for A2 then by all means apply to some of the places you want and if things turn out that they don't take you this year, then you can try again next year. If you take a gap year, the other benefit will be that you can take FM which will further bolster your application.
Reply 423
GCSEs: A*A*A*A*ABBCC
AS : chemistry A , physics A
A2: maths A*
and I'm doing further maths, physics and chemistry at A2
Applying to: Cambridge, Warwick, Nottingham, Imperial and King's.
do you think I can get into Cambridge?
Original post by GANDULF

do you think I can get into Cambridge?

What are your modular UMS marks for Maths? I hear Cambridge are quite picky on them. Nottingham and King's should be fine. Warwick may ask for STEP depending on how you play things, and I think Imperial too, although if you're going for Cambridge you'd be doing that anyway. Warwick and Imperial will also want to see an A* in further maths, so if you play your game right, and depending on how you did with your Maths A* with regards to modules, you should be ok.
Reply 425
OK thanks for the quick reply
C1: 100
C2: 96
C3: 97
C4: 96
M1: 91
D1: 86
Reply 426
What are your modular UMS marks for Maths? I hear Cambridge are quite picky on them. Nottingham and King's should be fine. Warwick may ask for STEP depending on how you play things, and I think Imperial too, although if you're going for Cambridge you'd be doing that anyway. Warwick and Imperial will also want to see an A* in further maths, so if you play your game right, and depending on how you did with your Maths A* with regards to modules, you should be ok.

OK thanks for the quick reply
C1: 100
C2: 96
C3: 97
C4: 96
M1: 91
D1: 86
Looks fine for it ^^ did you not take S1?
Looks fine for it ^^ did you not take S1?

tell me how mine is

AS levels : maths A , F.M A , GEOG A , ECONOMICS A
PREDICTED - A* MATHS A* ECONOMICS AND A F.M

c1-90
c2-95
s1-91
m1-67
d1-81
fp1-100

PLACES LIKE UCL???
Original post by falcon pluse

m1-67

Well I hear they want to see modular grades, so meh on the mechanics front. The others are good though. Here is the quote from their website: "Upon application students are asked to supply details of grades and, more importantly, marks achieved in Mathematics and Further Mathematics modules that they have sat when filling out the Qualifications section of the UCAS application. They should do this regardless of whether the modules have been certified and whether they intend to resit the module examinations. Failure to provide this information is likely to cause severe delays in the process of making a decision on the outcome of the application." So it may affect your application; the rest are good however.
Well I hear they want to see modular grades, so meh on the mechanics front. The others are good though. Here is the quote from their website: "Upon application students are asked to supply details of grades and, more importantly, marks achieved in Mathematics and Further Mathematics modules that they have sat when filling out the Qualifications section of the UCAS application. They should do this regardless of whether the modules have been certified and whether they intend to resit the module examinations. Failure to provide this information is likely to cause severe delays in the process of making a decision on the outcome of the application." So it may affect your application; the rest are good however.

yh it was a bad day . I know they ask for marks, jus hoping a 100 in fp1 will carry some weight
Reply 431
did you not take S1?
Didn't really have a choice because my teacher hates S1, and everyone in our school does bad in D1 so he probably doesn't like D1 either.
Reply 432
GCSEs A*A*A*AAAAAAABB
A*s in maths

Predicted A Levels

Maths - A*
Econo - A*
Further maths - A
History as - A

Are these good subjects for a maths degree at a russell group uni.
TY in advance:biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by telwyn123
GCSEs A*A*A*AAAAAAABB
A*s in maths
Bs in RS (1/2) and Stats

Predicted A Levels

Maths - A*
Econo - A*
Further maths - A
History as - A

Just wondering as i thought some unis may not like the AS in history as it doesn't directly relate to maths.
Will i be in a weaker position than some1 who did phys or chem at AS? Or will it make me different? as they are the typical choices

Don't worry, you should be fine. While Unis like science subjects, you are still predicted As and A*s in Maths, FM and economics, so most Russell Groups will be happy with that. With an A* prediction in Maths and an A prediction in FM, you should be ok for all but the top few who want the 2 A*s in Maths and FM too. I'm not entirely sure how biased their opinion will be about the lack of Science subjects, but you should be fine.
Reply 434
Original post by telwyn123
GCSEs A*A*A*AAAAAAABB
A*s in maths
Bs in RS (1/2) and Stats

Predicted A Levels

Maths - A*
Econo - A*
Further maths - A
History as - A

Just wondering as i thought some unis may not like the AS in history as it doesn't directly relate to maths.
Will i be in a weaker position than some1 who did phys or chem at AS? Or will it make me different? as they are the typical choices

Economics is one of the subjects that is quite close to maths (along with physics, chemistry etc) according to some of the 'preferred subjects' lists I've seen. So with three maths-y subjects you should be fine. What I would suggest is that you have a look through the typical offers for the universities you're interested in - you would be quite capable of many of the top universities. There are links to these pages for various universities in the posts earlier on in this thread. Some universities might also ask you to sit a STEP paper, which is a particularly hard maths exam.
Ite so I got AAAABBBCC

and at AS got ABBCD

What do you think?
Reply 436
Original post by Imperial Blitz

Ite so I got AAAABBBCC

and at AS got ABBCD

What do you think?

What subjects were those AS grades in?
Original post by ttoby
What subjects were those AS grades in?

Maths, Physics, Applied Business, General & Chemistry

I'm doing further maths as well this year.
Reply 438

Maths, Physics, Applied Business, General & Chemistry

I'm doing further maths as well this year.

Most places don't count general studies so to universities this will appear as ABBD. Including further maths, you'll be doing more A-levels than most people at the moment, so it's probably worth dropping a subject so that you can focus on getting higher grades. Definitely drop chemistry, possibly applied business as well. If general studies is optional then drop that as well.

Given the grade you're getting in maths, I would expect you to get at least A/B in further maths. Therefore, I would recommend that you look for unis asking for AAB or ABB. There's some links to the typical offers for several universities in the posts earlier on in this thread.
Reply 439
I am currently on my gap year. Want to do maths or maybe maths and something (economics, accountancy, acturial etc...). I got AAB at A-Level in maths (A), biology (A) and chemistry (B). I want to go to a pretty good uni although I know my grades aren't good enough to go to the top top unis like Oxbridge, Imperial, Durham etc..

I was just wondering the top unis that I could go to. And which courses are the best to do if you want to go into accountancy or something similar after university.

Cheers in advance.

Quick Reply

Latest