The Student Room Group

The "Are my grades good enough for Maths..." Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
SimonM
The GCSEs aren't great by Oxbridge standards, but for mathematics they aren't the bee-all and end all.

Where Oxford are concerned, your chances are pretty much based on your performance in the admissions test and interview. Most results can be overcome by this, although obviously good results help.

In Cambridge's case, whilst the interview is important, strong AS results are also valued highly, and yours are definitely not that strong. (Although I think TSR has many members who've gotten in with low GCSEs)

Fortunately, you've applied for a nice range of universities, and I would be shocked if none of them let you in. I'm curious as to why you've applied almost exclusively to London though?

Lived in London for 17 years and would prefer not to move out of my home, except for the possibility I'd somehow get in Oxbridge, haha.
Crushed Bug
Yeah I'm planning to resit Physics or take up Additional Further Maths - speaking of which, do you know which of those (if any) require the three A-Levels to be done within two years?

Warwick do not accept AFM as a 3rd A level as far as I know. (Stupid, yes, but there you go..)
Hi, my story is a bit different, because i finished school in another country so my "GCSE"s wouldnt mean much to you guys. So anyway, my ASs:
AAAA Maths/Further Maths/Accounting/ICT
(dropped ICT in second year)
module marks:
C1-97,C2-100,C3-100,C4-100,M1-99,S1-100.
I'm thinking to apply to:
Oxford
Manchester
UCL
undicided about the other two.
I think i should end up with A*A*A overall, unless i'd be lucky enough to get A* in accounting as well.
Oh, and maybe i should also mention that i've done 7.5 modules in my first year, just didn't do the exams, so ill try to end up with 14 modules in maths.
Reply 43
I don't really know what comments you expect us to give. Your grades could hardly be better.
Ultimate1
Can anyone rate my chaces for this:

Imperial, UCL, Oxford, Bath, Warwick/AAB uni?

You should get an offer from Bath and Warwick, I think UCL would offer you a place too. With Oxford it has a lot to do with the test and I'm not sure about Imperial, I knew someone really good at Maths that got rejected last year (ended up at Cambridge) so I'm not sure about how they select their candidates . This is only my opinion based on people I applied with last year.

From personal experience I applied last year. My AS grades were AAAB(Maths/Further/Chem/Physics), dropped Physics and got predicted A*AA and with that I got offers from Kings and Warwick but rejections from Bristol and Durham and didn't end up getting in at Oxford after a poor test.
My UMS scores at the time of applying were C1-98, C2-92, S1-95, D1-91, D2-85, FP1-89
I hope that helps, I really wish I had applied to Bath though.
It would really help your case if you were predicted the second A* in further maths with the two london unis so you might want to try to really convince your f.maths teachers.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 45
Staring into space
You should get an offer from Bath and Warwick, I think UCL would offer you a place too. With Oxford it has a lot to do with the test and I'm not sure about Imperial, I knew someone really good at Maths that got rejected last year (ended up at Cambridge) so I'm not sure about how they select their candidates . This is only my opinion based on people I applied with last year.

From personal experience I applied last year. My AS grades were AAAB(Maths/Further/Chem/Physics), dropped Physics and got predicted A*AA and with that I got offers from Kings and Warwick but rejections from Bristol and Durham and didn't end up getting in at Oxford after a poor test.
My UMS scores at the time of applying were C1-98, C2-92, S1-95, D1-91, D2-85, FP1-89
I hope that helps, I really wish I had applied to Bath though.
It would really help your case if you were predicted the second A* in further maths with the two london unis so you might want to try to really convince your f.maths teachers.

Unlucky about the rejections, mate. So what did you do? Accept the Kings/Warwick offer? Or are you reapplying?

OK these are my final choices:

UCL, Oxford, Imperial, Warwick (MORSE), 1 other but can't decide.

Predictions: A*A*A (Maths, Further maths and English Lit) with these module scores:

C1- 100, C2- 100, FP1- 89, M1- 93, M2- 87, S1- 90
Reply 46
Ultimate1
Unlucky about the rejections, mate. So what did you do? Accept the Kings/Warwick offer? Or are you reapplying?

Predictions: A*A*A (Maths, Further maths and English Lit) with these module scores:

Why not Cambridge instead of Oxford?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 47
jit987
Why not Cambridge instead of Oxford?

Well firstly I dont think my FP1 score is high enough :frown: ARGHHHHHH!! And secondly STEP scares the crap out of me lol. Where you applying?
Ultimate1

Can I ask, why Imperial?

You could look at Bath, Bristol or Nottingham as your final choice :yep:
Reply 49
Ultimate1
Well firstly I dont think my FP1 score is high enough :frown: ARGHHHHHH!! And secondly STEP scares the crap out of me lol. Where you applying?

Oh Alright. Won't you be doing STEP anyway for warwick? Didnt get as good AS grades :frown:...lol so Leicester/Loughborugh/Birmingham...
Reply 50
jit987
Oh Alright. Won't you be doing STEP anyway for warwick? Didnt get as good AS grades :frown:...lol so Leicester/Loughborugh/Birmingham...

Na for Warwick I'll apply to MORSE so dont need STEP. And those aren't bad unis at all! They're great unis! What are you gonna be predicted?
Reply 51
cpdavis
Can I ask, why Imperial?

You could look at Bath, Bristol or Nottingham as your final choice :yep:

I probably wont go there, it's my lowest choice, I just wanna see if I can get an offer with 2 A's at GCSE :teehee:

Yeah I'm probably gonna go with Bath. Bristol seems too risky for a 5th choice! :shock:
Reply 52
Hi, I got 10As, 2A*s in GCSEs (A* in maths and i.c.t.)
AS Levels: aaabc (chem/bio/maths/i.c.t./general studies respectively)
A Level predictions: Maths A*, I.C.T./Bio unknown
Just started AS further maths.
C1-99, C2-82, S1-82
I'm thinking of applying to sheffield (not hallam), manchester, leeds, and i don't know what else, any ideas?
Do you think I have any chance at getting in to Warwick?? and could anyone recommend any other unis?
Ultimate1
I probably wont go there, it's my lowest choice, I just wanna see if I can get an offer with 2 A's at GCSE :teehee:

Yeah I'm probably gonna go with Bath. Bristol seems too risky for a 5th choice! :shock:

That would be interesting for me if I did that! A bit like me with cambridge :teehee:

Bath's requirements are not too bad! A*AB if you have AEA, which isn't too bad :yep:

My teacher said I should to AEA as well as STEP :o: How is uni prep coming along? Personal statement?
J00100
Hi, I got 10As, 2A*s in GCSEs (A* in maths and i.c.t.)
AS Levels: aaabc (chem/bio/maths/i.c.t./general studies respectively)
A Level predictions: Maths A*, I.C.T./Bio unknown
Just started AS further maths.
C1-99, C2-82, S1-82
I'm thinking of applying to sheffield (not hallam), manchester, leeds, and i don't know what else, any ideas?
Do you think I have any chance at getting in to Warwick?? and could anyone recommend any other unis?

Sounds like a good start :yep: If you get AA prediction for Bio and ICT, then you have a shot at Warwick quite easily :yep:

For unis, you have Nottingham, Kings College London, Bath, Bristol Aston, Birmingham :smile:
Reply 55
cpdavis
That would be interesting for me if I did that! A bit like me with cambridge :teehee:

Bath's requirements are not too bad! A*AB if you have AEA, which isn't too bad :yep:

My teacher said I should to AEA as well as STEP :o: How is uni prep coming along? Personal statement?

Uni prep is coming along quite nicely. Basically done PS, just doing a few tweaks. You?
Reply 56
Ultimate1
Na for Warwick I'll apply to MORSE so dont need STEP. And those aren't bad unis at all! They're great unis! What are you gonna be predicted?

See Profile
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 57
ok so my gcse's are A(maths)BBCCCCCCC i also got 3 merits for an ict course which is equivilent to 3 B's at gcse.
AS: ABB (maths/f.maths/ict)
predicted: A*AB - which i will likely achieve

choices:

Warwick (MORSE)
Manchester (maths)
Manchester (maths & stats)
Lancaster (maths)
Liverpool (maths)

ok so i know my gcse's are very mediocre but tbh i didnt work for them. but i most certainly have for alevels. now am not expecting to get an offer from warwick i just thought i might as well apply, i had a spare offer. now the place i really want to go (the only place really) is manchester. so do you guys think i stand a realistic chance of getting an offer from manchester?
Reply 58
I would expect so, as long as you are confident about the A*AB and your school reference/PS are up to scratch.

The only thing I would question is whether or not you are allowed to apply for Maths AND Maths and Stats at the same uni. I know you can apply for different courses, but Maths and Maths and Stats seem similar enough to be the same course?
(edited 13 years ago)
Ultimate1

I ended up with Warwick as my Firm and Kings as my insurance, missed out on my Step grade so I'm at Kings now, I would recommend Bath as your final choice.

Quick Reply

Latest