The Student Room Group

The "Are my grades good enough for Maths..." Thread

Scroll to see replies

2A*s, 7As and a B (A in Maths).

AS levels: Maths, Further Maths, French and History (sorry there's no results yet, you must wait until March).

Considered universities:
If I get AAAA-AABB: Cambridge, Durham, Imperial, Bath, Bristol (or St Andrews)
If my results are lower (AABB-ABBB): York, Lancaster, Heriot Watt, Manchester (not really sure on these yet)
Original post by ttoby
They could either include A-level maths in the offer anyway (e.g. if they have a policy of making the same offer to most applicants). Then you would have automatically just met part of the offer and you would use your remaining subjects to meet the rest of the offer. Or they could just make an offer based on your remaining subjects only.

Thank you for your help :smile:
Reply 782
Original post by Fool In The Rain
(sorry there's no results yet, you must wait until March).

Could you clarify this - do you mean you're sitting all your AS exams in January? If so, are you currently in year 12 and when will you be doing your A2 exams?
Reply 783
Original post by ttoby
Could you clarify this - do you mean you're sitting all your AS exams in January? If so, are you currently in year 12 and when will you be doing your A2 exams?

If you can see his sig (TSR is a bit random about when they appear), you'll see he's applying next year...
Reply 784
Original post by shamika
If you can see his sig (TSR is a bit random about when they appear), you'll see he's applying next year...

Thanks for pointing that out (I have signatures hidden by default).

Original post by Fool In The Rain
2A*s, 7As and a B (A in Maths).

AS levels: Maths, Further Maths, French and History (sorry there's no results yet, you must wait until March).

Considered universities:
If I get AAAA-AABB: Cambridge, Durham, Imperial, Bath, Bristol (or St Andrews)
If my results are lower (AABB-ABBB): York, Lancaster, Heriot Watt, Manchester (not really sure on these yet)

These universities seem to roughly match the different grades you might expect - maybe some are a bit over optimistic but you are in the early stages at the moment, and you would probably get a better idea once you done some exams and/or get some predicted grades. Also bear in mind that universities may change their offers a bit each year.

So for that reason, I can't go into the finer points of which offers you would/wouldn't meet yet but what I will say is that the subjects that tend to matter most (which you should concentrate on) are maths, further maths and your best other subject (in that order).
Reply 785
Original post by shamika

It's not that random. :tongue: By default they appear on the first post of every user on a page.
Hello all, these are some really general questions about a maths degree at university. Basically, I'm currently at the start of my second year in sixth form studying Maths, Further Maths and Biology. Last year I got A A A with a B in Physics which I dropped for this year. I averaged about 84 UMS for both normal and further. However I am resitting C1 and D1 (84 and 70 UMS respectively). I've recently found out that my teachers have predicted me an A for maths and a B/C for further. Personally I think that is ridiculous given my A at AS further, am I right in thinking I can replicate my grades from the previous year or not? Admittedly I was working very hard but I still feel I can do it again? Maybe I'm wrong I don't know...

I confronted my teachers about the prediction and they said I should be aiming for a B due to the vast increase in difficulty of the second year compared to the first. Is she right? Anyway, it's come to a point where I need to be thinking about a university place. I am interested in doing a maths course but am now thinking I may not have the ability to complete it. I enjoy maths (I even do some private tuition) but I do find it very difficult at times, I prefer mechanics to FP and core. I was looking at applying for a course at either Leeds or Sheffield (Both AAB). Do you think I'd be able to cope or not?

Also, final question, would you recommend a straight maths degree or some kind of joint honours or even financial maths? I havent really seen much information anywhere to do with the latter, is it respected by employers? Is it easier/harder? What kind of maths does it involve? I'm completely clueless as you can probably tell...

Thank you anybody who takes the time to read through all those words I just sprawled onto the page... Any answers to do with any of the questions I asked would be greatly appreciated. Again, thank you.
I'm probably not going to help much but we did the same subjects haha, and the same grades (cept I was doing A2 Maths last year and have had to carry on with FM, Biology and annoyingly, Physics.) I haven't got my predictions yet, but I heard from some of my friends repeating year 13 that FP2/3 are a big step up from FP1. I wish I could do better in Mechanics! I'm better at Core and Stats.

I'm applying to AAA/AAB universities with one A*AA for something to aim for.
Reply 788
Original post by Christopher95
Hello all, these are some really general questions about a maths degree at university. Basically, I'm currently at the start of my second year in sixth form studying Maths, Further Maths and Biology. Last year I got A A A with a B in Physics which I dropped for this year. I averaged about 84 UMS for both normal and further. However I am resitting C1 and D1 (84 and 70 UMS respectively). I've recently found out that my teachers have predicted me an A for maths and a B/C for further. Personally I think that is ridiculous given my A at AS further, am I right in thinking I can replicate my grades from the previous year or not? Admittedly I was working very hard but I still feel I can do it again? Maybe I'm wrong I don't know...

There is a definite increase in difficulty in Further Maths, but it very much depends on what modules you pick. What that increase is, however, depends on what modules you pick. When I did Further, there were 6 mechanics modules and I took all six... whereas if you're picking a mixture of applied modules (which you kinda have to be because you've taken D1), it won't be quite as bad.

I confronted my teachers about the prediction and they said I should be aiming for a B due to the vast increase in difficulty of the second year compared to the first. Is she right?

No, she is absolutely not right at all. I'm a firm believer of setting yourself challenging targets, and if you want to try to get an A in Further Maths, you go for it. I assume you'll be taking FP2 and FP3? Some topics in those can get a little hairy, but if you got an A last year there's no reason not to push yourself to do the same this year, especially when you are retaking modules to bump up your UMS.

Anyway, it's come to a point where I need to be thinking about a university place. I am interested in doing a maths course but am now thinking I may not have the ability to complete it. I enjoy maths (I even do some private tuition) but I do find it very difficult at times, I prefer mechanics to FP and core. I was looking at applying for a course at either Leeds or Sheffield (Both AAB). Do you think I'd be able to cope or not?

Maths is difficult, but it isn't impossibly hard. You should definitely shouldn't let a B prediction in Further Maths put you off. You won't realistically get into a top university (like, say Oxford), but both Leeds and Sheffield are good universities. You should maybe talk to your teacher about those choices, and the course requirements, and see whether she thinks such a course is within your reach. If she says no, ask (politely) what it is you need to do to get up to that level.

Also, final question, would you recommend a straight maths degree or some kind of joint honours or even financial maths? I havent really seen much information anywhere to do with the latter, is it respected by employers? Is it easier/harder? What kind of maths does it involve? I'm completely clueless as you can probably tell...

I don't know a huge amount about Financial Maths, apart from Masters courses offered by Oxford and recently Imperial. Those courses are really geared towards people who want to get into investment banking.

As for undergraduate degrees, Warwick offers MORSE which I've heard good things about, where you can basically tailor your degree towards several areas depending on your interests. They will all involve a heavy dose of stats (but much more interesting stats than the stuff you learn at A-Level). I think employers are sensible, and look at each course on their individual merits. I can see the Warwick course having a slight edge given how hard it is to get in. They're after A*AA or AAA + a grade 2 in STEP, which are both very tough offers. They do give them out like candy though, so if you don't mind risking one of your five UCAS places on a stretch offer then that might be a way to go (their straight maths offer is even tougher in case you're wondering).

My recommendation is that you pick the course you find most interesting. If you're worried that Financial Maths degrees are more respected than straight maths, don't be.

Thank you anybody who takes the time to read through all those words I just sprawled onto the page... Any answers to do with any of the questions I asked would be greatly appreciated. Again, thank you.

Not sure I've been particularly helpful so ask again if you need anything more. In particular, what Financial Maths courses are you thinking of?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 789
Original post by ttoby
Although aiming to get over 85% is a good thing, that's not the actual criteria for an A*. In maths you would need to get 80% average over the whole a-level and 90% average in C3/C4. For other subjects you need 80% average in the whole a-level and 90% average in the A2 modules.
It is theoretically possible for you to get an A* without any resits but you would have to score much higher in the remaining exams than the marks you're currently getting. This may be difficult since you seem to already find it a bit hard. On the other hand, scoring higher in resits would mean you don't have to score so highly in the final papers to get A/A* but then you would have the extra work of resits along with your final exams.

Unfortunately, either way it's not going to be easy to pull up the grades.
It would be a good idea to do lots of past papers when revising, and to get them marked so you can make sure you're not missing out anything big when answering the questions. Also it helps to practise a lot with making sketch graphs because it's a useful skill to try and get.
Thank you very much for your help! I have decided to retake S1 in January (to keep the pressure low) and C2 and maybe C1 in summer because I'll have covered C3 by then and starting C4 so may find it a bit easier.
I'm applying for Maths at Cambridge, Bristol, Bath and UEA and Mathematical Engineering at Bristol.

GCSE: A*A*A*AAABBBC and a Distinction Star in BTEC Business Studies. (A* in Maths).

AS Grades:

Maths - A
Law - A
Accounting - A
Business Studies - A

Maths breakdown:

C1 - 99/100
C2 - 100/100
S1 - 100/100

A2 (Predictions):

Maths - A*
Further Maths - A*
Accounting - A

(Further Maths is to be taken in 1 year)

So, yeah. Your opinions. :smile:
Reply 791
GCSE 4a* 8a (inc. fsmq)

as levels
maths A
further maths A
physics A
chemistry B

C1: 97
C2: 100
M1: 100
S1 88
FP1 91
D1 92
C3 98
C4 100

(c3+4 self taught)

applying to:
cambridge
warwick
bath
ucl
durham

what are my chances?

edit: predicted a* a* a* a
Reply 792
Original post by Ioannou728
I'm applying for Maths at Cambridge, Bristol, Bath and UEA and Mathematical Engineering at Bristol.

GCSE: A*A*A*AAABBBC and a Distinction Star in BTEC Business Studies. (A* in Maths).

AS Grades:

Maths - A
Law - A
Accounting - A
Business Studies - A

Maths breakdown:

C1 - 99/100
C2 - 100/100
S1 - 100/100

A2 (Predictions):

Maths - A*
Further Maths - A*
Accounting - A

(Further Maths is to be taken in 1 year)

So, yeah. Your opinions. :smile:

Your AS grades and predictions look fine so far (although there are some competitive universities there so you may not get an offer everywhere). With regards to mathematical engineering, I don't know what their requirements are but sometimes universities do get a bit funny about people applying for two courses at once. You should check first to see if Bristol has any issues with this.

Several of the universities you're applying to will make offers including STEP. These exams are significantly harder than A-level maths so it's worth looking at some past papers to start preparing.
Original post by dontbtz
I got A 93 average UMS for Maths and A 86 Average UMS for Further maths this year (I had a couple of bad exams on further, I'll get an A* I hope) Got 5A*6A GCSE and I do like maths. Having said all this, I still don't think I'm good enough to do University maths. It can be incredibly difficult at the best of times, not that I don't enjoy but I just think I'll fail for some reason. Also, STEP looks incredibly difficult and I don't really have faith

Reading this thread I cannot believe I'm intending on studying maths at uni.
I am currently in A2s,
Maths - A in AS. Got C2 97%, S1 90%, missed & retaking C1(not worried:wink:), predicted A*
Biology - C in AS due to bad 2nd module, predicted A
Chemistry -C in AS, bad first module, predicted A or B
Italian - Dropped after AS
Basically..my school doesn't offer Further,*cry*, no STEP either, but plenty of other extras...?

I have a very very good personal statement that should get me offers.

Applying:
Lancaster (or exeter) -Maths&computer sci (AAB+)
Queens Belfast - MORS (ABB)
Cardiff -Maths&computer sci (ABB)
Royal Holloway London -Maths&computer sci (ABB)
Heriot Watt -Maths&computer sci (ABC)

But if YOU having got such great grades, including further maths, are saying degree level maths is too hard, AM I MAD?

Wow, my life will be over if i cannot study maths...
Please respond, anyone... *heartbroken*
Reply 794
Original post by contra
GCSE 4a* 8a (inc. fsmq)

as levels
maths A
further maths A
physics A
chemistry B

C1: 97
C2: 100
M1: 100
S1 88
FP1 91
D1 92
C3 98
C4 100

(c3+4 self taught)

applying to:
cambridge
warwick
bath
ucl
durham

what are my chances?

edit: predicted a* a* a* a

Your grades look fine so far but again, as I mentioned to the above poster, you should really start looking at some STEP past papers because you would get at least one offer (Warwick) that would include STEP.
Reply 795
Original post by MissBetBet
Reading this thread I cannot believe I'm intending on studying maths at uni.
The first thing to bear in mind is that due to the nature of this forum, there are a lot of highly academic people on here so the sorts of grades you see would be much higher than average.

I am currently in A2s,
Maths - A in AS. Got C2 97%, S1 90%, missed & retaking C1(not worried:wink:), predicted A*
Biology - C in AS due to bad 2nd module, predicted A
Chemistry -C in AS, bad first module, predicted A or B
Italian - Dropped after AS
These are good predicted grades, although for biology and chemistry the predicted grades are a fair bit higher than your AS grades so that might raise a few eyebrows, it's hard to say.

Basically..my school doesn't offer Further,
For the top universities, not having further maths is often seen as a bad thing unless your school doesn't offer it in which case they would let you off but still give you a harder offer. However, the universities you have picked don't seem to have any further maths requirements with their maths offers so they probably wouldn't mind about the absense of further maths. However, you could get your school to mention that further maths isn't offered in the reference to be on the safe side.
*cry*, no STEP either,
It's normal for the school to not provide STEP lessons. People would usually study past papers etc on their own then the school would just register them for the exam.
but plenty of other extras...?

I have a very very good personal statement that should get me offers.

Applying:
Lancaster (or exeter) -Maths&computer sci (AAB+)
Queens Belfast - MORS (ABB)
Cardiff -Maths&computer sci (ABB)
Royal Holloway London -Maths&computer sci (ABB)
Heriot Watt -Maths&computer sci (ABC)
I can't really say so easily what your chances would be since I've only really been comparing offers for straight maths. But the requirements you've listed seem fairly reasonable considering the grades you posted above.

But if YOU having got such great grades, including further maths, are saying degree level maths is too hard, AM I MAD?

Wow, my life will be over if i cannot study maths...
Please respond, anyone... *heartbroken*

The thing you need to bear in mind is that not all maths degree courses are the same. The universities making lower offers may not include so many of the harder modules earlier on in the course perhaps. The course would be designed so that it's accessible to anyone meeting the requirements for it.
Original post by ttoby
The first thing to bear in mind is that due to the nature of this forum, there are a lot of highly academic people on here so the sorts of grades you see would be much higher than average.These are good predicted grades, although for biology and chemistry the predicted grades are a fair bit higher than your AS grades so that might raise a few eyebrows, it's hard to say.For the top universities, not having further maths is often seen as a bad thing unless your school doesn't offer it in which case they would let you off but still give you a harder offer. However, the universities you have picked don't seem to have any further maths requirements with their maths offers so they probably wouldn't mind about the absense of further maths. However, you could get your school to mention that further maths isn't offered in the reference to be on the safe side.It's normal for the school to not provide STEP lessons. People would usually study past papers etc on their own then the school would just register them for the exam.I can't really say so easily what your chances would be since I've only really been comparing offers for straight maths. But the requirements you've listed seem fairly reasonable considering the grades you posted above.

The thing you need to bear in mind is that not all maths degree courses are the same. The universities making lower offers may not include so many of the harder modules earlier on in the course perhaps. The course would be designed so that it's accessible to anyone meeting the requirements for it.

Thank you for the speedy and thorough response!
I am new so I'm not sure how to quote properly but..
Yes, after posting this I realised that there are a much wider range of abilities and courses.
Yes, one retake for each science should sort them out, I hope the admission tutors don't mind too much! :s-smilie:
I really hope my grades are enough. My personal statement and my choices not being highest top end uni's should help me. Initially I was realistically aiming A*AA, then stuff went wrong and dadaaaaa..

One problem I have is that although I am interested in computer science, I haven't studied A level IT (because of its consideration as a 'soft' A level, and I know it's not required). But I want to major in mathematics. However a very few courses offer maths WITH computer sci. I would prefer to study single maths with the odd extra module, however these requirements tend to be a grade higher:
Lanc: AAA
Queens: ABB (MORS looks great for ABB!)
Cardiff: AAB
Royal H: AAB
Heriot: ABB
My personal statement is mostly maths, with one selection on applied maths in computing as a possible career path. (also learning computing lang's and professional business software, etc etc)
I don't know if it is worth risking the stand-alone maths, or going safe with the comp joint, for which my p.s is not very geared towards...
Help? :frown:
Reply 797
Thank you for the speedy and thorough response!
I am new so I'm not sure how to quote properly but..
Yes, after posting this I realised that there are a much wider range of abilities and courses.
Yes, one retake for each science should sort them out, I hope the admission tutors don't mind too much! :s-smilie:
I really hope my grades are enough. My personal statement and my choices not being highest top end uni's should help me. Initially I was realistically aiming A*AA, then stuff went wrong and dadaaaaa..

One problem I have is that although I am interested in computer science, I haven't studied A level IT (because of its consideration as a 'soft' A level, and I know it's not required). But I want to major in mathematics. However a very few courses offer maths WITH computer sci. I would prefer to study single maths with the odd extra module, however these requirements tend to be a grade higher:
Lanc: AAA
Queens: ABB (MORS looks great for ABB!)
Cardiff: AAB
Royal H: AAB
Heriot: ABB
My personal statement is mostly maths, with one selection on applied maths in computing as a possible career path. (also learning computing lang's and professional business software, etc etc)
I don't know if it is worth risking the stand-alone maths, or going safe with the comp joint, for which my p.s is not very geared towards...
Help? :frown:

You did the quote fine! (I quoted you in a non-standard way to show which part of the post I was referring to)
With maths at university, there's a lot of focus on proving things rigorously, and being pedantic about small details. A lot of the maths modules are just harder in general than comparable modules from similar departments (computer science/physics/statistics). This is probably why they ask for higher grades.
If your personal statement does focus mostly on maths, then what you could do is apply for some maths courses (picking universities with a good selection of computer science optional modules) and some maths&computer science courses. Then you'll be applying for what you want but you'll still have a backup plan in case you get rejected for the maths courses.
Original post by ttoby
You did the quote fine! (I quoted you in a non-standard way to show which part of the post I was referring to)
With maths at university, there's a lot of focus on proving things rigorously, and being pedantic about small details. A lot of the maths modules are just harder in general than comparable modules from similar departments (computer science/physics/statistics). This is probably why they ask for higher grades.
If your personal statement does focus mostly on maths, then what you could do is apply for some maths courses (picking universities with a good selection of computer science optional modules) and some maths&computer science courses. Then you'll be applying for what you want but you'll still have a backup plan in case you get rejected for the maths courses.

I'd love to find out how you did the non-standard way, because the majority here seem to be able to do it. :')

I am planning to call up some uni's and ask them if i can get a transfer when i'm in one course to another; some have said similar thus far, but joint to single maths seems unlikely in my opinion. :frown:

That is what I was considering doing, but the maths courses may be risky at the better uni's cos of the grade higher, but I am scared I wont get into the joint courses because of my personal statement is so maths heavy.. But I can't change it because my ultimate course would be solely maths. :s-smilie:
Reply 799
I'd love to find out how you did the non-standard way, because the majority here seem to be able to do it. :')

I am planning to call up some uni's and ask them if i can get a transfer when i'm in one course to another; some have said similar thus far, but joint to single maths seems unlikely in my opinion. :frown:

That is what I was considering doing, but the maths courses may be risky at the better uni's cos of the grade higher, but I am scared I wont get into the joint courses because of my personal statement is so maths heavy.. But I can't change it because my ultimate course would be solely maths. :s-smilie:

To start a quote you would write QUOTE with square brackets round it then to end a quote you put /QUOTE with square brackets round. When you click one of the buttons to quote someone's post, those tags are added automatically but with an extra bit at the start to say which user it is. What you can then do is add an extra tag to close the quote somewhere, then write your response then put in another tag to restart quoting the rest of a person's post. I'm not going to do that now because I'm typing this on my phone and it would slow me down.

If single maths is what you really want to do then I suppose another option is where you need a course with lower grade requirements, you could pick out a different university instead of going for maths&computer science at that same university.

Quick Reply

Latest