GCSE: 10xA*
AS: 4xA
C1 99
C2 100
S1 94
M1 96
D1 100
FP1 75

I'm pretty sure I'll at least get an interview at Cambridge, but will my FP1 mark count against me and is it likely I'll have chance to explain my situation come interview? I'm planning to resit it, but I was ill the day before (not enough to go doctor's though obviously) and that probably affected my performance.
Reply 981
Original post by Kilaskwiral
GCSE: 10xA*
AS: 4xA
C1 99
C2 100
S1 94
M1 96
D1 100
FP1 75

I'm pretty sure I'll at least get an interview at Cambridge, but will my FP1 mark count against me and is it likely I'll have chance to explain my situation come interview? I'm planning to resit it, but I was ill the day before (not enough to go doctor's though obviously) and that probably affected my performance.

It's understandable that someone can have a bad day - you just have to show them that it was in fact a bad day when you're at interview. I know a guy on here who got a similar mark in M2 yet still got an offer due to the rest of his modules being high enough. I think they just asked him; "what happened in M2?"
Original post by CD315
It's understandable that someone can have a bad day - you just have to show them that it was in fact a bad day when you're at interview. I know a guy on here who got a similar mark in M2 yet still got an offer due to the rest of his modules being high enough. I think they just asked him; "what happened in M2?"

Ok, thanks! :smile:
Reply 983
Hi guys kind of need some advice..

I took my AS last year and got a C in math, D's in physics and computing; and an E in Chemistry. This year I'm taking Math, Physics and Chemistry at A level. I'm going to retake several of my AS exams to improve my grades and I want to study Mathematics at university, yet as you can see my grades don't look so great.

I am most likely going to be predicted the same as I got even though I think I can get an A in math, I've managed to get that in all the tests this year. And a B in the rest as crazy as that sounds..

I am looking for some advice as to what to do from here... if anyone knows of anywhere that offers a foundation year and a mathematics masters degree/ any universities that will take these grades. I've tried asking around at my college and searching through UCAS but so far I haven't had much luck..

Thanks,
Mahan
Reply 984
Hello, I would like to ask for a bit of help.
I'm from Poland, I passed my final high school exam this year and currently I'm on a gap year (needed to save up some money for studies). This is how my grades look like:
Maths basic - 100%
Maths extended - 98%
English basic - 100%
English extended - 98%
English oral - 100%
Polish basic - 72%
Polish oral - 95%
History of art extended - 86%

I have no idea how to compare these grades with ones obtained in UK. Does anybody now? I haven't applied yet, but I'm thinking about Warwick, St Andrews, Edinburgh, Bath, Durham (but still not sure). I'm also worried about STEP - is it possible that for example Warwick will not require it?
Thanks!
Reply 985
Original post by Ollie212
I'm from Poland, I passed my final high school exam this year and currently I'm on a gap year (needed to save up some money for studies). This is how my grades look like:
Maths basic - 100%
Maths extended - 98%
English basic - 100%
English extended - 98%
English oral - 100%
Polish basic - 72%
Polish oral - 95%

I have no idea how to compare these grades with ones obtained in UK. Does anybody now? I haven't applied yet, but I'm thinking about Warwick, St Andrews, Edinburgh, Bath, Durham (but still not sure). I'm also worried about STEP - is it possible that for example Warwick will not require it?
Thanks!

Warwick will require either STEP or AEA, there's really no way to get around that. If I look at the Oxford website, they require 85-90% in all relevant subjects, which you seem to have met. I infer therefore that you meet the basic requirements of all the universities you've applied to.

Good luck :smile:
Reply 986
GCSEs: ABBBCCCC
AS levels : ABBB, B in maths :s however, I'm pretty sure I can achieve an A overall by retaking.

Predicted:AABa

Also only doing AS further maths

With those poor GCSEs and AS levels, would I be able to apply for the likes of Nottingham and Manchester. I was also looking at Bristol they do a contextual offer of AAB for students from lower achieving schools. Am I way too ambitious?
Reply 987
Original post by rootpi
AS levels : ABBB, B in maths :s however, I'm pretty sure I can achieve an A overall by retaking.

With those poor GCSEs and AS levels, would I be able to apply for the likes of Nottingham and Manchester. I was also looking at Bristol they do a contextual offer of AAB for students from lower achieving schools. Am I way too ambitious?

They're 3 very good maths schools, and so a lot of people will have much higher predicted and achieved as's than that, and are applying there. If i were you i maybe wouldn't apply to all three. But if you are from a low achieving school, they would take that into consideration.
Maybe apply to one or two of them, but make sure you have some choices that you should get offers from.
Leeds is AAB i think, and that is a quite a good maths school, maybe look there as well?
Reply 988
Original post by drcrazyka
They're 3 very good maths schools, and so a lot of people will have much higher predicted and achieved as's than that, and are applying there. If i were you i maybe wouldn't apply to all three. But if you are from a low achieving school, they would take that into consideration.
Maybe apply to one or two of them, but make sure you have some choices that you should get offers from.
Leeds is AAB i think, and that is a quite a good maths school, maybe look there as well?

I was originally going to apply for Manchester, Notts, Queen Mary, Brunel and City. But was tempted by the Bristol contextual offer so i guess i'll just leave Bristol then since it is quite competitive as you said. I may switch Queen Mary to Leeds, do you think thats a good decision?

And also, what do you think of the other universities I may apply for?
Reply 989
Original post by rootpi
I was originally going to apply for Manchester, Notts, Queen Mary, Brunel and City. But was tempted by the Bristol contextual offer so i guess i'll just leave Bristol then since it is quite competitive as you said. I may switch Queen Mary to Leeds, do you think thats a good decision?

And also, what do you think of the other universities I may apply for?

I think Leeds is thought of as being better than Queen Mary for Maths. although Queen Mary is good.

And as for the others, Manchester and Notts are obviously very very good and competitive, but as for Brunel and City I don't really know much about them.

Just make sure you like where you are applying for, after all, you'll have to stay there for 3/4 years.
Original post by Ollie212
Maths basic - 100%
Maths extended - 98%
English basic - 100%
English extended - 98%
English oral - 100%
Polish basic - 72%
Polish oral - 95%

Thanks!

Hey,
just saying that these grades will be perfectly acceptable :smile:
Reply 991
Original post by drcrazyka
I think Leeds is thought of as being better than Queen Mary for Maths. although Queen Mary is good.

And as for the others, Manchester and Notts are obviously very very good and competitive, but as for Brunel and City I don't really know much about them.

Just make sure you like where you are applying for, after all, you'll have to stay there for 3/4 years.

mmm yeah quite true, I did go to an open day at Queen Mary but didn't really like the atmosphere. Are there any other good AAB universities you could recommend?
Reply 992
Original post by rootpi
mmm yeah quite true, I did go to an open day at Queen Mary but didn't really like the atmosphere. Are there any other good AAB universities you could recommend?

I can't think of any off the top of my head but I'm sure there a few out there, anyway I hope I've helped a bit.
Reply 993
Okay, so at AS I got AABBC (A in Maths, self-taught B in Further Maths). Was so pleased and it was much higher than any of my teachers or I expected to get :biggrin:

Getting predicted A*AAB (A* in Maths, A in Further Maths), applying to Liverpool, Leeds, Nottingham, Manchester and Bristol. My maths teacher thinks I should scrap Liverpool and Leeds and replace them with Warwick and Durham. Is she right, am I not being ambitious enough?
Original post by Flauta
Okay, so at AS I got AABBC (A in Maths, self-taught B in Further Maths). Was so pleased and it was much higher than any of my teachers or I expected to get :biggrin:

Getting predicted A*AAB (A* in Maths, A in Further Maths), applying to Liverpool, Leeds, Nottingham, Manchester and Bristol. My maths teacher thinks I should scrap Liverpool and Leeds and replace them with Warwick and Durham. Is she right, am I not being ambitious enough?

Whether or not that is too ambitious depends on two things: your ability to do STEP and your UMS marks. Durham expect you to have at least around 90% on average across all maths modules. They might give you an offer with slightly less since you were self-taught, but anything less than high 80s would make it a very risky choice. If you have 95%+ *in theory* you should have a decent chance. With Warwick, there should be no problem in terms of getting the offer, but getting A*A*A2/A*A1 is a major challenge for the vast majority of people. Have you had a look at STEP papers at all?

Best of luck with your application, wherever you choose to apply in the end :smile:
Reply 995
Original post by bluebell_flames
Whether or not that is too ambitious depends on two things: your ability to do STEP and your UMS marks. Durham expect you to have at least around 90% on average across all maths modules. They might give you an offer with slightly less since you were self-taught, but anything less than high 80s would make it a very risky choice. If you have 95%+ *in theory* you should have a decent chance. With Warwick, there should be no problem in terms of getting the offer, but getting A*A*A2/A*A1 is a major challenge for the vast majority of people. Have you had a look at STEP papers at all?

Best of luck with your application, wherever you choose to apply in the end :smile:

I've taken a look at a couple of the STEP papers and Siklos' booklet. I haven't done any serious preparation but I've found the questions based on calculus, mechanics and stats alright, been able to complete a few. When you say all maths modules, do you mean just maths, or further maths too? I got 95 100 88 in maths and 80 54 86 in further maths. Doing FP2 in Year 12 wasn't a very good decision I guess :tongue: Durham sounds very difficult to get into then, shall scrap that idea. I'll consider Warwick though, I believe I could get a 1 in STEP I if I worked really hard.

Thanks for the advice :smile:
Original post by Flauta
I've taken a look at a couple of the STEP papers and Siklos' booklet. I haven't done any serious preparation but I've found the questions based on calculus, mechanics and stats alright, been able to complete a few. When you say all maths modules, do you mean just maths, or further maths too? I got 95 100 88 in maths and 80 54 86 in further maths. Doing FP2 in Year 12 wasn't a very good decision I guess :tongue: Durham sounds very difficult to get into then, shall scrap that idea. I'll consider Warwick though, I believe I could get a 1 in STEP I if I worked really hard.

Thanks for the advice :smile:

Sorry for the ambiguity - by 'maths', I did mean maths and further maths I'm afraid :frown: Good luck with Warwick :smile:
Reply 997
Original post by bluebell_flames
Sorry for the ambiguity - by 'maths', I did mean maths and further maths I'm afraid :frown: Good luck with Warwick :smile:

Aw well, I'm sure I'll get over it :tongue: Thanks again
Reply 998
Hi I'm applying for maths this year and sent off my application at the start of October so far I have received offers from Warwick and York and was rejected from an interview by Oxford after messing up the MAT. I was wandering what you guys thought were the chances of me being given an offer from durham as it is now my slight favourite over Warwick.

At GCSE I got 2A* 5A 3B 2C A*(maths + physics). AS I got AAA(maths,further maths,biology) B(psychology) C(history), and I am predicted A*A*A (Maths,Further maths, Biology).

However the problem is my UMS;
C1-95
C2-83
D1-88
FP1-80
S1-85
D2-96

FP1 I made the mistake of using too old past papers when revising, my last 3 mocks I got 75/75 but 3 questions came up in the actual exam that I had no idea of how to do.
C2 I managed to convince myself in the exam that the exam finished half an hour early and so an hour into the exam I had rushed it and messed up 3 of the questions and flustered myself, I then obvs realised that I had another 30mins but it was too late and I only managed to recover one of the questions.

I am now wandering whether or not I should have put something like this in the comments section of the UMS form for Durham but I didn't because I didn't want it to sound like I was making excuses.

I case you're wandering how I managed to get predicted A* in Further maths, a bit of persuasion combined with the fact that the 96 in D2 means I only need to average 87 across 2 of FP2,FP4 and M2 which I think is very achievable, also I did a step paper for my further maths teacher to convince her I could get an A* and got a 2 in it pre-revision.

Sorry for the long post.
Reply 999
Original post by rootpi

Sorry for replying so late to your post, but I think you still could have applied to Bristol. I'm assuming you already applied to university by now.

I'm also applying to Bristol, it's a fantastic university. ABBB isn't too bad, I've seen people with worse grades getting offers from places like Bath as well.

Quick Reply

Latest