The Student Room Group

Why do people delete each other on Facebook?

Why is it that on Facebook people always delete each other? Am I the only one who has noticed this? Just why do they do it? It was NEVER like this on Myspace.

I admit that I'm not talking about proper friends, but we all have people on our Facebook "friends list" who we know in real life, see kind of regularly, but are not exactly friends...but why would they still delete you? Isn't that rude?

Also, this doesn't happen often, but maybe once a year I make friends with a random person over Facebook and have really nice conversations with them. There was a guy who I had really nice conversations with for quite a bit like last year, and then I suddenly found out today that he deleted me as well. I don't know how long ago he deleted me, but I just find that so rude and it hurts me, because I actually really liked him.

But apart from him, yes it bothers me when people I know in real life delete me. Just because we are not good friends and don't socialize in our spare time doesn't mean it's ok to delete each other...like we still see each other sometimes at school or around the place, etc. My daughter of my dads best friend deleted me too - I have only met her twice, and have had a conversation with her on Facebook once, but that is still quite bad to delete me considering that our dads are best friends. I also know she deleted my friend from her list too (who we both know).

So can you guys tell me what is it about Facebook that leads to people deleting each other? It's not like these people have 5000 friends. When you have like 300 friends on Facebook why would you start deleting people even if you know them in real life? Myspace was never like this.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I deleted people because I was never going to see them again and it felt rather stalkerish to be seeing all their status updates when I had a very vague recollection of them. I also didn't want to see a load of fat girls in my year wearing bikinis tbh.
People on Facebook are retarded and rude.

It's mainly girls that do this in my experience. The majority of girls on facebook are the rudest.

Nothing wrong with deleting people who treat you like crap and/or ignore you though.

Nothing more annoying than them accepting your add, you sai hi and they ignore you. Tossers. Die already. Should have just rejected my add.
if i dont speak to someone, then whats the point of having them on facebook? i'll happily delete them
Reply 4
I delete people who I don't even talk to on there or in real life, or people I know I won't ever come across for me to even talk to... People who add me who I probably said hi to once or twice or something, or they said hi once or twice, I tend to delete or just not add in the first place because it's highly unlikely that I'll ever talk to them or see them.
Reply 5
I don't usually delete people... I deleted someone because they were a massive cock to me in real life. Don't know why you are getting so worked up, don't take it personally. Maybe they're cutting down their friends to people they actually care about and talk to, nothing personal.
Who cares
:ditto:
lazy smurf
Who cares

Init. I've had people delete me that I speak to on a weekly basis but who gives a ****? It's only facebook.
Reply 9
I delete people who i don't know, sometimes people who post WAYYYY too many status' about nothing or people i generally dont like! :biggrin:
Maybe some people just prefer to have close friends on Facebook, rather than a load of random people they don't even talk to? I mean, I don't get why you would to get upset over someone deleting you when you don't even talk to them. If you really wanted to be their friend, you should have made more effort. And it's only Facebook, don't take everything so personally.
It's the ultimate diss!
I don't add/accept people I don't know/speak to anyway, but I guess if you don't ever talk to them, what's the point in 'keeping' them?
I delete people if I haven't spoken to them in at least 12 months. No point keeping clutter in cupboards, just chuck it in the bin.
The last time I deleted someone (I knew fairly well but hadn't seen or spoken to for a good few months) was for a hideously racist status he put up during the world cup. I usually make a fuss when I see stuff like this but I was really sad someone I counted as a friend had these attitudes so I just deleted him quietly. He never mentioned it/we haven't spoken since so he's clearly not bothered by it.
CuteStar*
I delete people who i don't know, sometimes people who post WAYYYY too many status' about nothing or people i generally dont like! :biggrin:

I don't add those people in the first place :lol:
Anonymous
Why is it that on Facebook people always delete each other? Am I the only one who has noticed this? Just why do they do it? It was NEVER like this on Myspace.

I admit that I'm not talking about proper friends, but we all have people on our Facebook "friends list" who we know in real life, see kind of regularly, but are not exactly friends...but why would they still delete you? Isn't that rude?

Also, this doesn't happen often, but maybe once a year I make friends with a random person over Facebook and have really nice conversations with them. There was a guy who I had really nice conversations with for quite a bit like last year, and then I suddenly found out today that he deleted me as well. I don't know how long ago he deleted me, but I just find that so rude and it hurts me, because I actually really liked him.

But apart from him, yes it bothers me when people I know in real life delete me. Just because we are not good friends and don't socialize in our spare time doesn't mean it's ok to delete each other...like we still see each other sometimes at school or around the place, etc. My daughter of my dads best friend deleted me too - I have only met her twice, and have had a conversation with her on Facebook once, but that is still quite bad to delete me considering that our dads are best friends. I also know she deleted my friend from her list too (who we both know).

So can you guys tell me what is it about Facebook that leads to people deleting each other? It's not like these people have 5000 friends. When you have like 300 friends on Facebook why would you start deleting people even if you know them in real life? Myspace was never like this.

Facebook is for people you actually talk to. If I don't talk to someone for a significant period, I lose interest in what they are doing and I'm not interested when their crap appears all over my feed.

I happily delete them because I am under the impression that they agree with this principal and do not allow such a trivial matter to impact upon their lives.

Anonymous
I don't know how long ago he deleted me, but I just find that so rude and it hurts me

Diddums. It's facebook, ffs.
I suddenly became very aware of how intrusive it is into your private life - Even if you only include info you're happy to share with the world yourself, other people can say things on your profile, take pictures without your knowledge or consent and share them for you.

I had an argument with my housemate recently as she'd taken pictues of me drunk where you could see up my skirt et cetera, and although they might be good for a laugh between us, I asked her NOT to put them on the internet for the world to see via FB. She did of course, and when I got angry, she told everybody we knew via "status update" what pathetic so-and-so I was and I felt totally publicly humiliated. There was nothing I could do about any of it.

I just feel invaded. I deleted everyone I hadn't spoken to or didn't know terribly well. Others can only see my profile photos and what's on my wall. Everything else is set to private.
I delete people if I don't talk to them. I'll be doing a mass cull around October and I only have about 30 friends on there as it is.
a girl I used to be friends with deleted me and a lot of people from my year from facebook, then turned up at our post-results predrinks, uninvited, didn't speak to anyone or say thankyou.

I don't understand these people either

Latest

Trending

Trending