The Student Room Group

Is there a way to find out who your flatmates are before starting first year of uni?

I am starting Queen Mary University in September and I was wondering if i can find out who my uni flatmates will be so I can get to know them before starting university? If the uni doesn't provide it, does anyone have any ways that they found their uni flatmates through social media and which platform was the best for that kind of stuff?
I used Facebook then 2 flatmates and I created a Snapchat group chat and added our other flatmates as we found them. Hope this helps. Good luck at uni

Laura - Roehampton Student Rep
The uni may have names pencilled in, but until the actual results come out they'll not know for sure.
Reply 3
Original post by T!gger34
The uni may have names pencilled in, but until the actual results come out they'll not know for sure.

Ahhh okay. I think I’ll wait for the A-level results to come in then, thanks :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by University of Roehampton (Official)
I used Facebook then 2 flatmates and I created a Snapchat group chat and added our other flatmates as we found them. Hope this helps. Good luck at uni

Laura - Roehampton Student Rep

Thank you so much!
Original post by elliot1910
I am starting Queen Mary University in September and I was wondering if i can find out who my uni flatmates will be so I can get to know them before starting university? If the uni doesn't provide it, does anyone have any ways that they found their uni flatmates through social media and which platform was the best for that kind of stuff?

Hi!

As some other people have mentioned, flats won't be confirmed until all of the A-Level results have come out, and usually until clearing has finished too. That being said, not all universities let you know your flat prior to arrival at the university - this varies between them with some giving you the exact flat, some the building, and some just the type of accommodation. I would recommed posting on the specific page for your university to get a rep from there to let you know which this is.

I would also recommend going on Facebook and looking for different Facebook and Whatsapp groups which could help you find people - I know before I joined each college at Lancaster had a Facebook and Whatsapp groups, and then we all created our own for people to get to know students who would be in their accommodation type.

Hope this helps!

- Laura (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)
Reply 6
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi!

As some other people have mentioned, flats won't be confirmed until all of the A-Level results have come out, and usually until clearing has finished too. That being said, not all universities let you know your flat prior to arrival at the university - this varies between them with some giving you the exact flat, some the building, and some just the type of accommodation. I would recommed posting on the specific page for your university to get a rep from there to let you know which this is.

I would also recommend going on Facebook and looking for different Facebook and Whatsapp groups which could help you find people - I know before I joined each college at Lancaster had a Facebook and Whatsapp groups, and then we all created our own for people to get to know students who would be in their accommodation type.

Hope this helps!

- Laura (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)

Thank you so much!!

Hi @elliot1910,

Congratulations on getting a place to study at Queen Mary! How do you feel about starting uni?

Echoing what others have said, Facebook and Whatsapp will be your best friends in terms of finding people living in your accommodation.

Do be wary of sharing private information on these chats and consider whether you would prefer to keep your social media private or not.

If you do not find anyone living near you, please do not stress! You will have plenty of time during freshers week to get to know them. Maybe consider taking some card games/ board games you might want to play with flatmates so you have an icebreaker that isn't 'tell me a fun fact about yourself'!

Good luck! :smile:

Alia
University of Kent Student Rep

Hey there @elliot1910 !

If you just type in on Facebook your uni name + freshers group, there will be several groups you can join. Usually people post their accommodation and course in the group and from there people will comment if they're in similar circumstances. If you look in the descriptions of the group, sometimes there's links to smaller groups for each course or each accommodation your uni offers. There may also be links to WhatsApp chats. My advice to you is not to just limit yourself to communicating with people in your flat, try and reach out to your neighbours as well. This really helped me as my neighbours were more social than my flat was and I ended up spending most of my time with them. If I hadn't reached out to them before I went, I probably wouldn't have made as many friends in first year as I did.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU
@University of Kent and @hallamstudents

This thread is over a year old. Please check how recent posts are before answering!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending