The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

The best accommodation is?

I was just wondering if there was any inside knowledge on the best accommodation- Whether Jubilee is too far away from everything, because there's accommodation there that sounded good (Thomas something? Self Catered) But I looked round Broadgate Park which was really nice... Or whether there's a place best to go if you're going to be at the hospital a lot.. (I'm doing nursing!!)

Sorry if this has been asked before, I've searched and can't find anything- I want somewhere social but also convenient! Thankyou :biggrin:
Reply 1
Cripps!!
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
If it's self catered that you're looking for and you're studying on University Park, I'd say Broadgate Park is best in my opinion. I didn't manage to get a room there in the end, but I thought it looked really nice with a good atmosphere :smile: Its not too far a walk to anywhere on UP campus either. To be fair, I haven't started at Nottingham yet so my only experience is visits there, but I really didn't like the catered accomodation as I thought it was too expensive for what you got in return. But hey, it's all opinion really :smile:
Reply 3
The payoff you tend to get is that the more sociable and picturesque halls tend to be slightly older and the rooms not quite as nice. Broadgate and Jubilee have more self-catered options, but tend to be less social as they have higher numbers of mature and international students. Personally I would say to go for a UP hall like Cripps, HuStu, Rutland, Sherwood, Derby, Lincoln, L&W because you will probably have more fun.

As for distance, well Jubilee is a 20 minute walk from central campus and Broadgate is about 15mins. Obviously UP halls are right there so 5 minutes max.
Reply 4
Broadgate Park tbh :smug:
Reply 5
py0alb
The payoff you tend to get is that the more sociable and picturesque halls tend to be slightly older and the rooms not quite as nice. Broadgate and Jubilee have more self-catered options, but tend to be less social as they have higher numbers of mature and international students. Personally I would say to go for a UP hall like Cripps, HuStu, Rutland, Sherwood, Derby, Lincoln, L&W because you will probably have more fun.

As for distance, well Jubilee is a 20 minute walk from central campus and Broadgate is about 15mins. Obviously UP halls are right there so 5 minutes max.

I'm guessing that you haven't heard that BGP throw the best parties...
Reply 6
JayAyy
I'm guessing that you haven't heard that BGP throw the best parties...

Actually I would argue that HuStu throws the best party. Or possibly the 3 halls that organise the summer party.

I lived in BGP... The BGP bar is considered lively if three people turn up.
Reply 7
py0alb
Actually I would argue that HuStu throws the best party. Or possibly the 3 halls that organise the summer party.

I lived in BGP... The BGP bar is considered lively if three people turn up.

Sounds like you hated BGP.
Reply 8
JayAyy
Sounds like you hated BGP.

Oh no, it was absolutely fine for what I needed. I wouldn't have wanted to spend my first year of undergrad there though really.
Reply 9
py0alb
Oh no, it was absolutely fine for what I needed. I wouldn't have wanted to spend my first year of undergrad there though really.

Fair enough :p:
Sherwood!!!!!! Great banter
L&w!!
Reply 12
I have it on good authority that it is Rutland, at least everyone on here seems to like it.
but, rutland does take it up the back entrance..
Reply 14
My first year was spent in Sherwood. I only picked it because I'm an archer and the name Sherwood is Robin Hood-ish (probably not the best criterion to go by), and, honestly, I wished that I hadn't. It's not entirely bad, but it's very school-like and the nonsense between Sherwood and Rutland is beyond ridiculous - it's a bunch of middle-class, mostly privately educated students acting like a gaggle of brainless chavs on a Friday night (cringeworthy as well as irritating). The fire alarm was constantly (yes, constantly) being set off by douchebags from Rutland, eventually I actually took apart and disabled mine with a screwdriver I bought especially for the purpose. The food is subpar and I ended up skipping most breakfasts and dinners, the lunch card is good value for money but you can buy one of those without going catered.
Einheri
My first year was spent in Sherwood. I only picked it because I'm an archer and the name Sherwood is Robin Hood-ish (probably not the best criterion to go by), and, honestly, I wished that I hadn't. It's not entirely bad, but it's very school-like and the nonsense between Sherwood and Rutland is beyond ridiculous - it's a bunch of middle-class, mostly privately educated students acting like a gaggle of brainless chavs on a Friday night (cringeworthy as well as irritating). The fire alarm was constantly (yes, constantly) being set off by douchebags from Rutland, eventually I actually took apart and disabled mine with a screwdriver I bought especially for the purpose. The food is subpar and I ended up skipping most breakfasts and dinners, the lunch card is good value for money but you can buy one of those without going catered.

I ******* hate rutland already :mad:

Isn't the food the same in all catered halls though? Bit unfair to single out sherwood
Reply 16
Nottingham_Banker
I ******* hate rutland already :mad:

Isn't the food the same in all catered halls though? Bit unfair to single out sherwood

Nope. Each hall is responsible for how it spends its own money, they ultimately answer to accomodation services and the VC but they have a great deal of freedom.
edithwashere
but, rutland does take it up the back entrance..

Don't knock it til you try it :wink:
Reply 18
Can you go in catered halls if you're doing nursing though? With all my lovely 7am shifts and stuff will they serve me breakfast at 6??
Reply 19
Mierla
Can you go in catered halls if you're doing nursing though? With all my lovely 7am shifts and stuff will they serve me breakfast at 6??

They wouldn't serve breakfast at 6AM. You'd possibly be able to get a packed breakfast given to you the night before if you ask them.

Latest

Trending

Trending