The Student Room Group

choosing......how did you guys do it?

I am officially at the end of my teather :frown: i have around 20 prospectuses in front of me atm and i have no idea how i could even begin to narrow it down to 5. i want to study languages and i'm not really a massive fan of campus uni's, i'd rather something more cityish like Cardiff. i thought that i should ask for some help before i took drastic measures and just picked 5 out of a hat. any help would be seriously welcome right now:frown:
How far away do you want to move? Which courses appeal to you the most? Are you likely to meet the entry requirements? Reputation & open days?
Reply 2
Why don't you see which are high in the league tables to narrow it down a bit? Think about where they are in the country and how close/ far from home you want to be. Also once you have a few that you like you can go and visit them to see if they are for you. You can discount the campus unis then but you could consider a campus that's really close to the city like nottingham etc. Or what about studying in london?
prospectuses? well i just use the internet.:indiff:

Look at entry requirement, course structure, the uni's reputation overall and for your course, distance from home. It's not that hard to narrow it down to 5.
I picked mine out of a hat.
Reply 5
kcmsecnarf
Why don't you see which are high in the league tables to narrow it down a bit? Think about where they are in the country and how close/ far from home you want to be. Also once you have a few that you like you can go and visit them to see if they are for you. You can discount the campus unis then but you could consider a campus that's really close to the city like nottingham etc. Or what about studying in london?

ah thank you. sounds like a plan that could actually work. you could have just saved me a few wrinkles when i'm 90 :smile: thanks
Reply 6
kcmsecnarf

Talk about bad advice; newspaper league tables aren't helpful. Student satisfaction scores for a start throw them off

Maybe look at the size of the department? What modules are offered? You'll need to look online for that info.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 7
I went and looked round, but try http://www.push.co.uk/ its amazingly helpful!! x
danii40
I am officially at the end of my teather :frown: i have around 20 prospectuses in front of me atm and i have no idea how i could even begin to narrow it down to 5. i want to study languages and i'm not really a massive fan of campus uni's, i'd rather something more cityish like Cardiff. i thought that i should ask for some help before i took drastic measures and just picked 5 out of a hat. any help would be seriously welcome right now:frown:

Which languages do you want to study? Find out which ones offer the languages you want first. :smile:
Reply 9
(:Becca(:
Which languages do you want to study? Find out which ones offer the languages you want first. :smile:

i've narrowed it down to the uni's that actually offer the two courses that i'm interested in but i see to have come to a standstill. naturally every uni website claims that theirs is the best at this and that and every student quote claims that it's the best thing since sliced bread :frown:
Reply 10
I looked at the uni's and went on open days to see which ones I preferred. Then I looked at entry requirements. Then course content and what you study. My Mum then helped me with things like accommodation and pricing (she's better at that). Eventually I came down to my 5 choices. I mean I suppose you could try league tables but I'd leave that till last....they don't mean too much, its better to choose the uni you like. I can't look at league tables, there isn't a section for ecology or conservation. I've helped my friend a bit by looking on UCAS with her as she is wanting to do languages but she wants to do three so therefore it shortens the choices down a lot.

Anyway, Good luck!
Reply 11
Just sorta play 'guess who' with the prospectus'!

You know you don't want to go to a campus university, so throw out all of those.

Then throw out all the ones which have entrance requirements that are far too low or far too high for you.

Then go into the finer details such as location, modules, league table placement, cost. Ideally though you should go and visit them!
Reply 12
I'm in the same boat at the moment, I'm reapplying though so I have some knowledge from last year!

Last year I was more bothered about distance from home rather than the rep of the uni. It meant that I sort of overlooked how good the uni's were and I didn't pick a good insurance choice because I thought it was "too far away"

This year it's a totally different story, I don't really care about how far away it is, just want a good uni with a nice campus and a nice city centre, but now i'm so confused because obviously I have so many to choose from!

I think you should think about what you WANT from the uni? How far away do you want it to be? What grades are you likely to achieve? Then maybe choose the best ones you can from those? I know how you feel, I'm struggling to choose five at the moment too! :frown:

EDIT: Oh and I think like someone said above, you should definately at least visit some.. and definately visit all the ones you get offers from before you decide on a firm/insurance. That way you're less likely to be unhappy if you've picked one you liked when you visited. :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 13
aliii
I'm in the same boat at the moment, I'm reapplying though so I have some knowledge from last year!

Last year I was more bothered about distance from home rather than the rep of the uni. It meant that I sort of overlooked how good the uni's were and I didn't pick a good insurance choice because I thought it was "too far away"

This year it's a totally different story, I don't really care about how far away it is, just want a good uni with a nice campus and a nice city centre, but now i'm so confused because obviously I have so many to choose from!

I think you should think about what you WANT from the uni? How far away do you want it to be? What grades are you likely to achieve? Then maybe choose the best ones you can from those? I know how you feel, I'm struggling to choose five at the moment too! :frown:

EDIT: Oh and I think like someone said above, you should definitely at least visit some.. and definitely visit all the ones you get offers from before you decide on a firm/insurance. That way you're less likely to be unhappy if you've picked one you liked when you visited. :smile:

it's good to know there are other people finding t as difficult as me. i thought i was just being an idiot. thanks
You need to look at all the Uni's that offer your course. Then you need to consider the entry requirements compared with your predicted grades and then discard all the Uni's that are way below your predictions. Then you need to ask yourself if you want to go really far away or stay close to home. Then look deeper into the courses and see if if you like the modules they offer as Unis are different.... it might then be worth seeing what Uni's are best for the language you want.

Then go to visit days!
Reply 15
danii40
it's good to know there are other people finding t as difficult as me. i thought i was just being an idiot. thanks

No of course you're not being an idiot!

Everyone I know found it hard, even last year I picked about three and was stuck on the last two! It's the hardest part of UCAS, along with the personal statement! :frown:

I don't think anyone wants to spend the next 3/4 years of their lives in a place where they're going to be unhappy!
danii40
i've narrowed it down to the uni's that actually offer the two courses that i'm interested in but i see to have come to a standstill. naturally every uni website claims that theirs is the best at this and that and every student quote claims that it's the best thing since sliced bread :frown:

How far away would you like to live from home? A big city or a smaller city? Check the course content as well.

Latest

Trending

Trending