The Student Room Group

American studies at Uni??

Hi! I was just wondering if anybody knows what kind of job an American studies degree might land me? And will it be paid well at the same time?:biggrin:
The thing is, i really want to study it but I don't want to wake up one day and have absolutely no career prospects and a huge debt on top of everything:mad: . I'm looking to apply to Warwick, Manchester and King's.
Would it be better to just do a law degree and risk not getting any offers even though I got 3 A's for my AS??:hmmmm2:
To answer your second question you will get offers for law if you have 3 A ASs
Reply 2
you could always do a conversion course if you want to be a lawyer
Reply 3
I'm looking to apply to Warwick, Manchester and King's.

Think you'll find that King's have closed their American Studies department, Nottingham would be a good substitute.

You can do a less expected subject and still do well - I did History of Art at York and have a training contract with a Magic Circle law firm. But you need excellent academics throughout, plus strong extra curriculars and work experience.

With straight As you should definitely aim at a Top 10-20 uni. Maybe consider joint English or History as this will get over any prejudice against Am Studies, and you can still have your year in North America.

Good luck
Reply 4
captainobviousahoy
To answer your second question you will get offers for law if you have 3 A ASs

Even to king's or UCL? They're reaaaallllyyy competitive :unsure:
Reply 5
peachmelba
Think you'll find that King's have closed their American Studies department

Yeah....I just found out too, what a shame :frown:

Latest