The Student Room Group

BSMS Medical Applicants 2011

Well there doesn't appear to be a thread for BSMS 2011, so let's get one going!

Did anyone go to the Open Days? What were they like? I couldn't make it, but i really like the sound of their course, and friends from that region only have positive things to say!

Best of luck to everyone!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I went to an open day there. I was extremely impressed - they showed you round the dissection room and everything! The buildings are really advanced and their patient simulation thing is fantastic :smile:

I'm applying there :biggrin:
Reply 2
I'm applying and didn't get to go to the open day either.

But from living nearby when I was younger, I know that Brighton is absolutely gorgeous as a place.
I'm appling here too
(edited 13 years ago)
Me Toooooooooooooo!
Reply 5
ECHF
I went to an open day there. I was extremely impressed - they showed you round the dissection room and everything! The buildings are really advanced and their patient simulation thing is fantastic :smile:

I'm applying there :biggrin:

That's great, you have me even more excited now saying that the facilities are modern and advanced :woo: I am also quite keen to do dissections :smile:
Reply 6
Yep I'll be applying. Studied biochem at Sussex. It's an awesome part of the country. It's got the best dissection room in the country.
Reply 7
Hantheman
Yep I'll be applying. Studied biochem at Sussex. It's an awesome part of the country. It's got the best dissection room in the country.

Good stuff Hantheman, i too am a biochemist, studied at Hertfordshire :smile:
im applying, :biggrin:

does anyone know how bsms use the UKCAT ? is there a cut off, or is it combined with other areas of the application?
, im due to do m9 on wed :frown: really nervous, im so going to flop it :frown:
Reply 9
I;m applying here too - loved it on the open day :smile:
Reply 10
potentialmedicalstudent
does anyone know how bsms use the UKCAT ? is there a cut off, or is it combined with other areas of the application?

From what i know, just from reading their website, they don't appear to weight the UKCAT as much as other unis. My take on it is that they really only use it in borderline cases. But i'm sure other people will know more about this than me. There website does say this though:

"An above average UKCAT score is likely to be an advantage but a lower score is not necessarily a disadvantage if outweighed by other factors in your application as a whole."

Good luck for your UKCAT
Reply 11
Applied here last year and what they do is score your application out of 30. 15 Academic and 15 Non-Academic. Two assessors score your application and take an average. Last year you needed about 26 for an interview which I just missed out on with an average of 25 so was put on the reserve list but hardly anything ever comes from this reserve list.
They had 2600 applicants last year :/ and gave out about 300 offers so
Good luck all!!!
AKKDHOLI
Applied here last year and what they do is score your application out of 30. 15 Academic and 15 Non-Academic. Two assessors score your application and take an average. Last year you needed about 26 for an interview which I just missed out on with an average of 25 so was put on the reserve list but hardly anything ever comes from this reserve list.
Good luck all!!!

But they have no preference over those who exceed the entry requirements?
AKKDHOLI
Good luck all!!!

The worst part for me is that I got 25 out of 30 and wasn't even placed on the reserve list :confused:
Reply 14
a moist feeling
The worst part for me is that I got 25 out of 30 and wasn't even placed on the reserve list :confused:

WHAT!!
thats just not nice :frown:
Anyone know what 0.5A* 5.5A 2B and A*AAa at alevel would score in academics
Neomaster121
Anyone know what 0.5A* 5.5A 2B and A*AAa at alevel would score in academics

I'd presume 15/15?
a moist feeling
I'd presume 15/15?

you sure my gcse wouldn't let me down?
Neomaster121
you sure my gcse wouldn't let me down?

I highly doubt it considering you have A-Level grades which sort of over-rides the gcses so you will be fine :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 19
im applying here!!!!

8A* 2A at GCSE
5A at AS level
predicted 2A* 2A at A2
UKCAT of 680....

does anyone know if BSMS can offer you A*AB .... or if all their offers are just AAA...
i reaaaally dont want an A*AB offer....so much added pressure to get an A*!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending