The Student Room Group

BSMS Medical Applicants 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kalamari Dave
Nope.
I spoke to them a while ago, and they say they'll assign everyone accommodation on "selecting out of a hat" at a particular date (didn't specify which, but hinted that it's quite late), and that apparently medics do get their acc. guaranteed in Paddock Fields, though not sure for anywhere else.
Where are you hoping to stay?

I chose paddock field but as long as i don't have a long commute to campus then I’ll be fine with what ever I get
Original post by Kalamari Dave
Nope.
I spoke to them a while ago, and they say they'll assign everyone accommodation on "selecting out of a hat" at a particular date (didn't specify which, but hinted that it's quite late), and that apparently medics do get their acc. guaranteed in Paddock Fields, though not sure for anywhere else.
Where are you hoping to stay?

If you were wondering, you're guaranteed accommodation as an undergrad if you put BSMS as your firm, and you might get it otherwise. There's only space for about half of the on campus first years at paddocks though, so you aren't guaranteed accommodation there, especially if it is particularly popular this year. They do try to take your choices into account, but ensuite rooms are always popular so you're less likely to get your first choice with them than if you put park village or east slope as your first choice.
did anyone else go for swanbourough as their first choice?

1.swanborough
2.stanmer court
3.paddock fields
4.phase two lewes court

Unconditional offer :biggrin:
Celebratory toast and honey time now!
Original post by emilylikeeee
Unconditional offer :biggrin:
Celebratory toast and honey time now!

Fantastic! Well done :biggrin:

It's so nice to see those words :biggrin:
Reply 1185
I got the grades!!!!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Original post by shaws010

See you in Septemberrrrrrrrr!!!! :biggrin: SO HYPED!
Original post by shaws010

Me too! :biggrin:
See all you lovely people in a bit!
Any one going to BSMS in September and wants to chat, message me please! Would be nice to know of somebody down there before we go :smile:
Another fresher here :smile: So relieved to finally know for sure!
Reply 1190
Congratulations to all of you :biggrin:

Looking forward to seeing you all in late September!!!!
Congrats to all those who got their grades today see you in september :smile:
Reply 1192
your welcome to the person who got my place :smile:
Reply 1193
just wondering...when does the BSMS freshers week actually start?
Reply 1194
Original post by bindy

Original post by bindy
im applying here!!!!

8A* 2A at GCSE
5A at AS level
predicted 2A* 2A at A2
UKCAT of 680....

does anyone know if BSMS can offer you A*AB .... or if all their offers are just AAA...
i reaaaally dont want an A*AB offer....so much added pressure to get an A*!!!

Hiya, I'm thinking of applying for 2011, my application looks pretty similar yours.. was just wandering if you had any luck? I got slightly lower on the ukcat and slightly higher in gcse's so may all balance out. Advice much appreciated:smile: best wishes
Reply 1195
Original post by Anonom.
Hiya, I'm thinking of applying for 2011, my application looks pretty similar yours.. was just wandering if you had any luck? I got slightly lower on the ukcat and slightly higher in gcse's so may all balance out. Advice much appreciated:smile: best wishes

hi,
i know i'm not bindy but hope i can be of help. By 2011, i hope you mean 2012 because that application cycle is complete and preparations are being made for the 2012 entry. From what you you have said, i think you more than meet the requirements academically. BSMS does not place too much emphasis on the UKCAT. They only use it as a form of tie breaker for very similar students so i wouldn't worry too much about that. Just focus on getting the A's in biology and chemistry and then an A in any other A level and you should be okay. They also offer A*AB so you might want to consider that. Good luck.

Oh, and there is a 2012 applicants page here if you are keen on meeting other applicants.
Reply 1196
Original post by Anonom.

hi, they don't base it too heavily on grades... i am into BSMS this year and my grades were:

GCSE - 2 A*s, 4.5 As, 5 Bs and 3 Cs

At AS i got BBB and was predicted AAA at A2 (which i got last week) and i was interviewed very early on and got my place by mid-late december.

My UKCAT score was 665 ish if i remember rightly.

BSMS base A LOT of the application on the non-academic parts of your application. E.G. i did:
Bronze DofE,
1.5 years volunteering in a medical centre,
20 weeks volunteering in a hosiptal,
a week volunteering in a primary school,
a day at Novartis creating paracetamol.

I was also the senior non-commissioned officer in my platoon in the army cadet force which they asked a lot about at my interview.
Reply 1197
Original post by yab26
just wondering...when does the BSMS freshers week actually start?

well we arrive from 24th...i guess things get going then. And it says get to the medical school "26th september at 9.30" Can't wait.. :biggrin:
Original post by Hannah01

Original post by Hannah01
well we arrive from 24th...i guess things get going then. And it says get to the medical school "26th september at 9.30" Can't wait.. :biggrin:

Really?? Mine says to get there at 9! :s-smilie:
Reply 1199
Original post by Carpet21
Really?? Mine says to get there at 9! :s-smilie:

my bad you're right, i think it is 9. well at least now i wont be late ^^

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending