The Student Room Group

Applying for Biomedical Science. How likely is it to receive an offer?

Applying to:
-Warwick ABB
-Kings ABB
-Durham ABB
-St. Georges BBB
( Yet to decide my last choice, maybe someone could suggest a few to look into? :smile: )

My AS Results:
ABBB (English Lit, Biology, Chemistry, Geography.)

The prospectuses don't actually state they require an A in Biology/Chemistry, but I'm worried that I won't receive any offers because my A is irrelevant to the course I want to take, are they more likely to favour applicants with their A in a Science based subject? I was 2 UMS Marks off an A in Biology, so will be retaking Unit 2 in Summer hopefully bumping up my A-Levels to AAB, but there will obviously be people with AAA first go, so I'm kinda worried they'll disregard my application as it'll be no match to theirs O.O Should I scrap some of the ABB uni's and replace them with BBB uni's? And if anybody knows anymore universities offering Biomedical Science at BBB it would be really helpful, I can't seem to find any >_< Many thanks :smile:
allysun
Applying to:
-Warwick ABB
-Kings ABB
-Durham ABB
-St. Georges BBB
( Yet to decide my last choice, maybe someone could suggest a few to look into? :smile: )

My AS Results:

The prospectuses don't actually state they require an A in Biology/Chemistry, but I'm worried that I won't receive any offers because my A is irrelevant to the course I want to take, are they more likely to favour applicants with their A in a Science based subject? I was 2 UMS Marks off an A in Biology, so will be retaking Unit 2 in Summer
hopefully bumping up my A-Levels to AAB, but there will obviously be people with AAA first go, so I'm kinda worried they'll disregard my application as it'll be no match to theirs O.O Should I scrap some of the ABB uni's and replace them with BBB uni's? And if anybody knows anymore universities offering Biomedical Science at BBB it would be
really helpful, I can't seem to find any >_< Many thanks :smile:

Sussex is worth considering as their offers start at BBB....plus if you are considering postgraduate medicine they guarantee a medical interview if you do well enough. Newcastle is also v. good but they offer ABB.
Your AS grades are fine to apply for all ABB unis and maybe an AAB one so have some confidence and go for it.
Reply 2
Aston Uni is great, they 'only' want a BBB, ill be applying there this year.
get another BBB or BBC course for your 5th
then you know that you will get at least one offer
Reply 4
allysun
Applying to:
-Warwick ABB
-Kings ABB
-Durham ABB
-St. Georges BBB

My AS Results:

The prospectuses don't actually state they require an A in Biology/Chemistry, but I'm worried that I won't receive any offers because my A is irrelevant to the course I want to take, are they more likely to favour applicants with their A in a Science based subject? I was 2 UMS Marks off an A in Biology, so will be retaking Unit 2 in Summer hopefully bumping up my A-Levels to AAB, but there will obviously be people with AAA first go, so I'm kinda worried they'll disregard my application as it'll be no match to theirs O.O Should I scrap some of the ABB uni's and replace them with BBB uni's? And if anybody knows anymore universities offering Biomedical Science at BBB it would be really helpful, I can't seem to find any >_< Many thanks :smile:
Check out the links in my sig.
Reply 5
allysun
Applying to:
-Warwick ABB
-Kings ABB
-Durham ABB
-St. Georges BBB

My AS Results:

I would stick with Kings and Warwick if I were you, only because im applying there, joke =] but they are good universitites, I say go for them and aim a bit higher, mention on your personal statement that you were a couple UMS off an A in biology and that you are re-taking. All the universities sound pretty respectable. no problems
Reply 6
Eloades11
I would stick with Kings and Warwick if I were you, only because im applying there, joke =] but they are good universitites, I say go for them and aim a bit higher, mention on your personal statement that you were a couple UMS off an A in biology and that you are re-taking. All the universities sound pretty respectable. no problems

aha, i'm too scared to apply for kings now! i looked it up yesterday and it's gone up to AAB since I looked last! D: it's proper annoying cause if i don't get an offer from warwick that's where i wanted to go :frown: and i still can't find another BBB back-up >_< oh, if i end up as that person with 0 offers i will die on the inside D:
Reply 7
allysun
aha, i'm too scared to apply for kings now! i looked it up yesterday and it's gone up to AAB since I looked last! D: it's proper annoying cause if i don't get an offer from warwick that's where i wanted to go :frown: and i still can't find another BBB back-up >_< oh, if i end up as that person with 0 offers i will die on the inside D:

As i say, you should still apply for them two, but if you're worried about not getting a place, then consider a university with lower grades. For example, im applying to portsmouth university who i think want BCC, as far as im aware. Just to make sure I get offered at least 1 place at uni. I'm not telling you to apply for Portsmouth, but other unis like it with similar offeres for their courses, you should apply to, to make sure you get an offer
Reply 8
Eloades11
As i say, you should still apply for them two, but if you're worried about not getting a place, then consider a university with lower grades. For example, im applying to portsmouth university who i think want BCC, as far as im aware. Just to make sure I get offered at least 1 place at uni. I'm not telling you to apply for Portsmouth, but other unis like it with similar offeres for their courses, you should apply to, to make sure you get an offer

Thanks :smile: I think I will apply for Kings actually! I've decided there's no point in putting down uni's I don't want to go to so I may as well go for it! Now my choices are: Kings, Warwick, Durham, St. Georges + i'll look for another backup, maybe portsmouth actually.. or hull :P Good luck with your application! Maybe see you at uni next year :P
Reply 9
allysun
Thanks :smile: I think I will apply for Kings actually! I've decided there's no point in putting down uni's I don't want to go to so I may as well go for it! Now my choices are: Kings, Warwick, Durham, St. Georges + i'll look for another backup, maybe portsmouth actually.. or hull :P Good luck with your application! Maybe see you at uni next year :P

haha thats cool, maybe, its possible lol And yes feel free to keep me posted on how your application is coming along. They are good, respectable unis. As long as you try hard in the A2's then you should not have to worry about the back up. But be prepared for the worst, thats my motto :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending